YG Acoustics Carmel 2

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Barry,

Thanks for the heads up on Entreq. Will see about auditioning these :)
With the Carmel 2s, the unthinkable has happen! We got them playing (wonderfully) with a 50W tube amp :)

flez,

I'm glad you liked them. We had them (Carmel 2s) at the Newport show, and in spite of the irregular room, we got them sounding beautifully! Imaging and depth was off the charts good, and in the small confines of the hotel room, the system didn't lack bass at all! Of course, it helps we had the D'Agostino integrated playing them :)

alexandre

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
Congratulations on the Carmel 2s.
I was tempted but was able to find a pair of Kipod II Studio Signature passives which I bought recently to replace my Carmel 1s. Delighted with them. Needed more scale and the 9" woofers have made all the difference and the character of the sound is the same but more of it and better, but for their size I am sure the Carmel IIs will be very difficult to beat.
My amp is an integrated Vitus SIA 025 which is a wonderful amp and although rated only 25w in Class A it drives my Kipods with no problems and worked equally well with the Carmels. Can't recommend it highly enough.

so are you powering the kipods in class a or a/b? that is really interesting ... how large is your room? the carmel 2 is much harder to drive then the original, i noticed that right away. the 2s also throw a larger sound stage and layer things WAY better then the original. i don't notice bass going lower, but it is more detailed then the original.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Both but Class A for serious listening.
Class A benefits from a bit more volume but is no problem for the amp.
The room is 21x12x7.5 and the YGs are firing across the room in virtually the same placing as the Carmels.
The character of the sound is the same, but the Kipods deliver more of everything - transparency, scale, bass and dynamics in particular. A natural and coherent sound which is revealing but never etched or overly analytic.
The Entreq negative speaker terminal grounding to two Entreq Silver Minimus has given a significant improvement for a relatively modest outlay.

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
Both but Class A for serious listening.
Class A benefits from a bit more volume but is no problem for the amp.
The room is 21x12x7.5 and the YGs are firing across the room in virtually the same placing as the Carmels.
The character of the sound is the same, but the Kipods deliver more of everything - transparency, scale, bass and dynamics in particular. A natural and coherent sound which is revealing but never etched or overly analytic.
The Entreq negative speaker terminal grounding to two Entreq Silver Minimus has given a significant improvement for a relatively modest outlay.

ok, cool. your room is very similar in size to mine ... mine is 20 x 10.5 x 7.5.

i will look into the entreq stuff for sure. thanks.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
wizard,

Have you heard the Carmel 2s? These are remarkable speakers, for their size...

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I attended a demo of Carmel2, Soulution sacd player+Int amp and the Taralabs Grand Master Evolution cable series in Hong Kong a few weeks ago.

Very impressive performance! Allrounded but the bass quantity & quality are beyond compare for such a small enclosure size.
IMHO it's one of the best small floorstanders in the market.

140829f5xs126s5607gczc.jpg
http://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=86236&extra=page=1

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
The cables must be more than the speakers :)

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The cables must be more than the speakers :)

Yes, the demo was held for promoting the Taralabs cables. They are excellent, as expected.

But the performance of Carmel2 in that nearly 400 sq ft listening room was so impressive! :)

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
I attended a demo of Carmel2, Soulution sacd player+Int amp and the Taralabs Grand Master Evolution cable series in Hong Kong a few weeks ago.

Very impressive performance! Allrounded but the bass quantity & quality are beyond compare for such a small enclosure size.
IMHO it's one of the best small floorstanders in the market.

View attachment 21796
http://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=86236&extra=page=1

Taralabs stuff amazing for sure. I would like to compare Taralabs or even the higher end Kubala and compare to my Kimber 6063. It's hard to imagine it gets better then what the 6063 can do but maybe its possible.

I don't understand systems where the individual components cost more then then speakers ... but I guess that is one way to do it. I would much rather have the larger YGs in that system (better bass, dynamics, resolution, etc.).

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Is it me?
I'm normally tolerant and laid back about reviewers and their views, but I am really struggling with John Atkinson's review of the YG Carmel 2s in the latest issue of Stereophile.
His conclusions are so at odds with every other review/comments on the Carmel 2 that I am really sceptical about it and more than a tad suspicious.
Now let me declare an interest as a former owner of Carmel 1s and now Kipod Signature passives, but even with what I believe is a generally open and tolerant approach to others' views I really am struggling with this review.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
To me, his comments about the speaker lacking bass are backed up by the measurements. They shelf down below 150hz.

It is funny that he admits he listens in a room with 250ms RT60 decay time from midbass and up and even less than that at higher frequencies. I like a lower decay room too. But that's an over damped room for most types of music. Maybe he's secretly a speed metal fan. :confused:

The lateral off axis isn't as smooth as the Anat or Sonja. The Carmel is a good speaker. I used to own one too. But he's correct that it lacks bass. But I am not sure it's supposed to be a great speaker for bass anyway.
Is it me?
I'm normally tolerant and laid back about reviewers and their views, but I am really struggling with John Atkinson's review of the YG Carmel 2s in the latest issue of Stereophile.
His conclusions are so at odds with every other review/comments on the Carmel 2 that I am really sceptical about it and more than a tad suspicious.
Now let me declare an interest as a former owner of Carmel 1s and now Kipod Signature passives, but even with what I believe is a generally open and tolerant approach to others' views I really am struggling with this review.

Last edited:

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
No, he's not correct, as every single other reviewer (and everybody else's ears too) can attest.
His choice of amps were questionable at best. You just can't pair a moderate-to-hard to drive $24000 speaker with a $2000 tube amp. That's basic stuff.
I still can't believe that review. Now, more than ever, if JA ever likes a product, I'll run away in the other direction.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
He used a several SS amp and then switched a tube integrated. There was no difference in the bass. The Carmel is the easiest speaker to driver in the YG line-up. Apparently, there's a resonance between 600-800hz which made piano music sound colored to him. But he didn't have any measurements which back that up. Those were the two main complainant's.

No, he's not correct, as every single other reviewer (and everybody else's ears too) can attest.
His choice of amps were questionable at best. You just can't pair a moderate-to-hard to drive $24000 speaker with a $2000 tube amp. That's basic stuff.
I still can't believe that review. Now, more than ever, if JA ever likes a product, I'll run away in the other direction.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
There is no such resonance. YG has measurements taken at an outside facility that shows that. And of course, you can also hear that there is no such resonance.
He used the roughly $2000 tube integrated for the evaluation, after all the questionable SS amps didn't cut it, in his estimation. It's not only a question of price, really, as we've used the Carmel 2s with the $3500 Hegel H160 and it was fantastic.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Well, I was just in the store this morning, when this Jimi track came up on our Aurender. It sounded pretty good, with very decent, solid bass. So I grabbed my trusty iPhone 6 and made a little video.

Bear in mind these speakers are in a room where normally a much bigger YG Sonja 1.3 sit, and they were played with a darTZeel, not exactly a bass monster. The video was recorded with an iPhone 6, at the listening position.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=564124373744698[/video]

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..nice eqpt for sure but not sure what conclusions can be drawn from your video :confused:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing