Oracle Paris Mk V turntable.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
After much consideration I've decided that my next turntable will be the Oracle Paris Mk V.
Here is the manual with plenty of pics and descriptions.

Oracle Paris Mk V in black.jpg

I'm ordering it with the Oracle/Pro-ject 9cc carbon fiber tonearm, which is upgradeable to the Oracle/SME should I choose to do so down the road. It's not in the budget at the moment. I've not yet decided on the cartridge although I'm very very close.

I also just received an email from Jacques Riendeau of Oracle to say that a new phono stage will be available in March and will list for under $1,000. The current PH 200 lists for $1875, which is a bit much for me.

I hope to order it this coming weekend or the one after that as I've received a wonderful discount from the same dealer I met 25 years ago and bought my Revolver Red and McIntosh 2505 Integrated Amp from.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I didn't here from you, suppose that means you didn't win the lotto. ;) Have you moved to Calgary yet?

Unfortunately I don't have anything to offer on that table or arm - enjoy!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I didn't here from you, suppose that means you didn't win the lotto. ;) Have you moved to Calgary yet?

Unfortunately I don't have anything to offer on that table or arm - enjoy!

No lotto win just yet, but I'm hopeful ;). I should be in Calgary around the first week in February.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Well, today I was finally able to order the turntable. I am having it shipped directly to Calgary, which allowed me to save 7% on tax. It should even get there before I arrive on the 21st of February.

This is a big deal for me guys and I'm super excited! :D

I'm thinking that the Genesis, Marantz Reference and Oracle lineup is looking pretty sweet! :cool:

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Beautiful turntable- Oracle really know how to make a turntable look stunning! Let us know how great it sounds when you've got it- having had an Oracle Delphi back in the early 80s - mid 90s, I know you've got a table you can keep forever. Wish I hadn't have sold mine :(

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
The red one looks stunning!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Beautiful turntable- Oracle really know how to make a turntable look stunning! Let us know how great it sounds when you've got it- having had an Oracle Delphi back in the early 80s - mid 90s, I know you've got a table you can keep forever. Wish I hadn't have sold mine :(
They sure have a knack for great aesthetic design! But as you know it delivers as well. I've heard the Paris on several occasions and came away very satisfied after each experience. So when it came time to upgrade, and the opportunity presented itself, I knew that I wanted to give it some serious consideration. I am confident that I'll be very satisfied with it and I hope to enjoy it for years to come. And, yes, once I've had some time with it I'll be more than glad to write something and share with you all.

The red one looks stunning!

It is stunning, isn't it! It also seems to be the one they are promoting the heaviest, but I wanted black. It just screams quality in that colour. It's got that Darth Vader kick-ass look about it!LOL!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Johnny

We expect plenty of pics of your beautiful table and a review next month:p

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Johnny

We expect plenty of pics of your beautiful table and a review next month:p

I promise! Not only that, but it'll give me a chance to try out my new DSLR (Canon EOS Rebel SL-1) which I haven't really played around much with.

Pics & Review to follow sometime at the end of February/early March.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I promise! Not only that, but it'll give me a chance to try out my new DSLR (Canon EOS Rebel SL-1) which I haven't really played around much with.

John, congrats on the new TT. The manual that you posted a link to is really excellent. Pity that so few other companies supply such an in depth and professionally produced manual with their audio products. Certainly gives me a very positive impression of the company.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
A friend has it here, 9 years of daily service and sounding great - congrats!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John, congrats on the new TT. The manual that you posted a link to is really excellent. Pity that so few other companies supply such an in depth and professionally produced manual with their audio products. Certainly gives me a very positive impression of the company.
I was most impressed with the manual as well. It is certainly going to make my life a whole lot easier for when I do the setup.
A friend has it here, 9 years of daily service and sounding great - congrats!
Thanks! That's most encouraging to hear indeed! So far I've not heard anyone express a negative about this TT.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just to let you know that I ordered and paid for the turntable last weekend and it's being shipped directly to Calgary (free shipping). I'm arriving in Calgary on the 21st and it could quite possibly be there already.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA

Read up on the Canon User's Guide while on the long flight from Toronto to Calgary so that you'll be ready to start snapping the minute your feet hit the ground.

I like my pics in color and from all kinds of different angles. :p

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Read up on the Canon User's Guide while on the long flight from Toronto to Calgary so that you'll be ready to start snapping the minute your feet hit the ground.

I like my pics in color and from all kinds of different angles. :p

Funny guy! (NOT):p! I don't even know where I'll be setting it up, plus I have lots of unpacking to do before I even get to the system.

Movers on Thursday...flight out on Saturday! :D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm finally in a position to assemble the turntable today. I've got it all unpacked and laid out on the kitchen table, which offers me a lot of natural daylight due to a triple set of patio doors. The packaging is first-rate and everything was in perfect condition. This is the first time I'll be assembling a TT from scratch so I've read the manual several times and will keep it handy whilst progressing with the assembly. I suspect it'll take me a few hours as I want to double and triple-check each step along the way. I'm a bit nervous to proceed, but I can do it.

I'll be taking pictures and posting them within the next few days. I'm using a Surface RT tablet right now and it isn't very conducive to manipulating and posting pictures.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hey Johnny mate, how's it sounding?
I happened to come across this thread just today. Wow! That TT looks mighty stunning! Bet it sounds the bomb. What cart are you using? What a beautiful work of art!
Wish I could listen to this one and learn from it...
Cheers and enjoy, RJ

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hey Johnny mate, how's it sounding?
I happened to come across this thread just today. Wow! That TT looks mighty stunning! Bet it sounds the bomb. What cart are you using? What a beautiful work of art!
Wish I could listen to this one and learn from it...
Cheers and enjoy, RJ

Hello RJ! - I'm sad to say that I've run into a bit of bad luck. I've had to return the Grado Reference Sonata 1 cartridge to Grado as the screwholes on the wood body weren't tapped deep enough. There was no way I could thereby securely mount the cartridge to the headshell. I hope to have it back next week. But that wasn't my only problem. In setting up the TT with another cartridge and installing it I've come across a ground loop issue. The right channel has a significant hum and I can't seem to get rid of it. I've tried everything I could think of the fix the issue, including using different cables, disconnecting everything from my Integrated amp and starting over. I double and triple checked all of my connections, including the tonearm leads. I hope its not a tonearm wiring issue, but I think that may be what it is.

I'll be bringing the TT into the local Oracle/Grado dealer once I receive the cartridge and have them check it out. Hopefully we can resolve the issue locally as I'm not looking forward to packing it up and sending it back to Oracle.

I should probably have posted this earlier, but as you can imagine I'm fairly frustrated and disappointed with the issues I've had to face.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hello John, Sorry to hear about your issues with your new TT:(.
Couple of thoughts....have you checked the orientation of the cartridge leads? Sometimes they can either be a) not fitting correctly or b) not aligned correctly to the cartridge.
Are you using the ground cable from the tonearm cable to a true ground? Attached to the preamp/integrated at the ground connection? If so,is the integrated correctly grounded? Might want to attach the ground cable from the tonearm to another ground IF you think the integrated isn't truly grounded.I'm sure your issue will resolve soon and once again you will be in analog glory.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing