Jazz at the Pawnshop Again?

number95

May 14, 2014
I have See you at the Fair, Mulligan Meets Webster (MFSL), Webster meet Oscar Peterson, and Ben Webster and Associates. What else do you recommend?

Tenor Titans - Dexter Gordon & Ben Webster

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I have See you at the Fair, Mulligan Meets Webster (MFSL), Webster meet Oscar Peterson, and Ben Webster and Associates. What else do you recommend?

Soulville

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
:confused:How many do we need of these??

Jazz at the Pawnshop

And I damn sure wouldn't have used a dCS 905 for a DSD transfer. I had one of these and didn't like it then. ProStudioMasters has the DSD128fs download

So the DXD and DSD64fs sample rates were done using the dCS 905
The 192kHz and the DSD128fs were done using the Ayre QA-9 :confused:

Dr. Bruce:

According to the info in the link, it is claimed that the different sample rates and various format files are separate runs of the master tapes and not down sampled from the master hirez digital files. Do you hear the differences in down sampled files vs individually transferred files in your work?

Ki

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Just for the heck of it and to compare it to the CD i ripped, i tried to download one track, namely How High the Moon in DSD 128 from nativeDSD.com. I tried there as they were the only site that allowed you to download individual tracks. I did not want to spend that kind of cash for the full download. Anyway, the zip packet I downloaded only contained the pdf booklet. I was advised via email that they had problems with that offering and took it offline. They were nice enough to offer me the full album free of charge which I should be able to download at the end of the week. It should be interesting to compare the new transfer to my old CD. GIven that the whole thing will have cost me 3 bucks, I can live wit it! I will report my findings.

Joe Whip, I have a special Mac Mini, a raid system, and a special dac. The Mac Mini is running JRivers MC19 and the dac allows me to play double DSD. I can also run cds ripped to the raid either as 44/16 or as double DSD, which raises the filters well above where they presently are. I can also play HD tracks in either there 192/24 or 96/24 formats or in double DSD. And finally I have many SACDs converted to double DSD. The cds played in double DSD are fantastic, the HDs played in double DSD are fantastic, and the SACDs in double DSD are fantastic and the very best sound.

Presently, what I have is unavailable but hopefully soon it will be available.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I am glad you are enjoying your double DSD. I prefer PCM although I understand why DSD is so popular with audiophiles. I don't want this to get into another DSD vs. PCM thread though. Differnt strokes for different folks. I would have ordered a 24/192 track of JATPS if I could find one for a comparison but the only ones I could were DSD. I purchase DSD recordings when they are native DSD like the stuff from Channel Classics. I sure hope the DSD128 sounds better than my ripped CD as the CD is not a great sounding disc. MY listening is through a Mac Book Air with a lacie SSD drive bypassing the Mac's USB power supply. Sounds superb.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I downloaded the entire record in DSD128 and have given it a brief listen in comparison to the aiff rip of my CD. Is there a difference? yes, but frankly it is rather slight. The 2XDSD has a slightly more relaxed sound and appears to put you a little closer to the action than the CD. The brush strokes on the drums appear to be a tad more pronounced. Timbre seems to be very close, still sounding a bit on the bright side overall. I guess in all respects the new mastering at 2X DSD is a small improvement over prior releases. Small increases across the board can add up but I am not sure I hear enough of a difference here to want to actually pay full freight for this one. ( it was essentially free so I am not complaining). This new master does not cure the issues I had with the prior releases. I am comparing it to the original double CD edition. When I have the time, I will give it a more careful listen. I have only listened to 2 tracks. The opening track, Limehouse Blues is a little longer as it starts with more room ambiance before the music starts. I am a bit concerned that all these new masters aren't really giving us much more for the extra money. I am more inclined now not to get remastered high resolution files of material I have already on CD unless it is a truly important recording. If my overall impressions change over more listening, I will let you know.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Those are great choices, let me add a few more. 1. Soulville. The Analog Productions 45 is leagues better than any 33 I've heard. I don't know how they did it, but they fixed Ben's sound level at the beginning of Soulville. I had always thought that he had just not quite stepped up to the microphone. This is probably my favorite Ben Webster album.
2. Ben Webster At The Renaissance. I also have this on 45 rpm and think it is a great album.
3. Ben Webster - Stormy Weather on 45rpm Black Lion Records. Very very good album. The Black Lion release also comes with a 33 rpm record, but frankly, once you hear the 45 you will only play the 33 for convenience.
4. Ben Webster and Joe Zawinul - Travelin' Light. This is a 2 record set 33rpm by Milestone Records. Very interesting, as there are 2 takes of some of the songs.
I've also got some good digital recommendations, though they are mostly compilations of some of his more famous works, but still a good listen. The two I recommend are : 1. Music For Loving. Very sumptuous. 2. The Soul of Ben Webster. This double CD has a lot of his most famous songs.
Hope that helps!

Soulville

Tenor Titans - Dexter Gordon & Ben Webster

Ordered Soulville and Soul of Ben Webster (both APO Remasters) and just got Ben Webster Stormy Weather (24bit remaster supposedly), and Music for Loving (2CD)...thanks for the recommendations!!! tenor titans in the inbox!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Do you mean Ella at Duke's Place on Verve MONO ?

I believe Mike is referring to "Duke's Place" aka ("C Jam Blues") from "The Great Summit" release ~ 1961.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I believe Mike is referring to "Duke's Place" aka ("C Jam Blues") from "The Great Summit" release ~ 1961.

I have the 45 rpm classic records release of armstrong and ellington together for the first time...which is part of the great summit from what I understand ?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

yes, it was...sorry if I confused my reference.

I have the 45 rpm classic records release of armstrong and ellington together for the first time...which is part of the great summit from what I understand ?

yes.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Ordered Soulville and Soul of Ben Webster (both APO Remasters) and just got Ben Webster Stormy Weather (24bit remaster supposedly), and Music for Loving (2CD)...thanks for the recommendations!!! tenor titans in the inbox!

Soulville and Soul of Ben Webster both arrived! And great listening. Prefer Soulville...particularly APO Remaster, so great stuff. Also got 24bit remaster of Stormy Weather tee'd up and Webster on Strings (2CD)...

thanks to those who recommended!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Lol.....I will be hearing it in about 5 days when it arrives....I am JATPS virgin !!!

Have you had a chance to listen to JATP yet?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing