I Just Got The iPhone 6 Plus And I'm Already Thinking About Returning It

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By Jay Yarow, Business Insider

There was literally nobody on the planet more excited for Apple's first phablet than me.

As soon as rumors started popping up that Apple was going to make a 5.5-inch iPhone, I knew I was going to buy it. I had been using a Galaxy Note II, which has a 5.5-inch screen, at home as a mini-tablet, and I thought it was great. I prefer iOS, so I was happy Apple was going to jump into the phablet market.

Sure enough, on the day the phone was available for preorder, I woke up and ordered the iPhone 6 Plus.

It arrived Wednesday, and my initial impression — 30 minutes in — was positive. The big screen is flat-out gorgeous. It's thin, and the device looks good.

But, after ~12 hours with it, I have more mixed emotions. I am now wondering if this phone is too big for me and my day-to-day usage. I am wondering if in a week I'll be at the Apple Store, returning the phone.

What's the problem? I had no idea how important one-handed usage is with a smartphone until it was basically taken away from me with the iPhone 6 Plus.

I am 6-foot-1, and I think I have the hands that correspond with that size. I use medium-size grips on my golf clubs, if that helps add perspective. To be precise: It's not as if I have freak baby hands.

Wednesday, while I was setting up my phone, I was eating dinner — sausage sandwiches with potato chips, because I like to eat healthy. As a result, I did the whole thing one-handed. That wasn't too bad, but I did start to feel like my left hand was getting disjointed trying to bend my thumb around to hit various buttons.

But that was an exception, right? Setting up the phone is a one-time thing. What about normal usage?

Well, I was sitting on my couch watching TV, and it turns out I use my phone with just one hand a lot! More than I ever realized. And I felt as if I had to pop my thumb out of its joint to move around the phone.

Here's the best analogy I can think of for describing the new sort of motions needed to navigate this big phone: Have you ever tried to move around on the ground without using your arms? You end up shuffling using your butt.

Likewise, when trying to move your hand around the 6 Plus, you use your palm to move the phone, and slide your fingers from side to side.

My iPhone 5S was sitting next to me on the couch, and I started picking it up. I had a newfound appreciation for how small and easily used it is. I could zip around the screen, no problem. And it's not that small, really. I could see what I needed to see. The screen on the iPhone 6 Plus is beautiful and big, but it doesn't feel like that much of an improvement, at least, not right now.

When my wife came home, I showed her the iPhone 6 Plus. She hated it. She treated it as if it were covered in disease, immediately handing it back to me. I took it, tried to shuffle it in my hand to unlock, and I dropped it on the floor. Happily, nothing happened to it. But, I am now hyper aware of how easy it is to drop the thing.

The one-handed thing came up again when I was getting ready to go to sleep. I'm one of those pathetic losers who can't do anything without looking at his phone. So, when I brush my teeth, I like to check Twitter. And I could do that with the 6 Plus, but it was slightly uncomfortable.

Thursday morning, walking to the train, I wanted to whip out my phone to see if I was running late. But there is no whipping out of the iPhone 6 Plus. There is only careful removal, because the risk of dropping it is real.

Other things about the 6 Plus that I find odd:

Apple moved the power button to the side, but it's too high on the side.
I still have to slink my hands into position to hit it.
In Safari, if I want to open a new page or a new tab, I have to slide my thumb all the way across the phone.
The reachability mode from Apple is not all that useful. Apple has this new thing where you double tap the home button and the screen slides down. 1) It's hard to get my thumb to the home button. 2) I don't even know how this helps.
To be clear, I am not returning it — at least not yet. I'm going to be giving the phone a week before making up my mind.

The problem for me, and perhaps for anyone who buys the 6 Plus, is more mental than physical. In my head, this is an "iPhone," and so I expect it to behave like an iPhone. But in reality, it's something totally different.

If Apple named this the iPad Nano, I would probably have no complaints. I would just think of it like I think of the iPad Mini. I don't complain about one-handed usage with an iPad Mini because I don't expect it.

It's a new category of device, and so I will have to use it in new ways.

The question, which I will be revisiting in a week, is whether I figure out a new way to use the phone. And whether it's worth whatever compromises I have to make in using the phone in a new way.

The big screen is gorgeous, but after 12 hours with it, I'm not sure it's worth the trade-off of a truly easy-to-use little mobile phone.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
By Jay Yarow, Business Insider

There was literally nobody on the planet more excited for Apple's first phablet than me.

As soon as rumors started popping up that Apple was going to make a 5.5-inch iPhone, I knew I was going to buy it. I had been using a Galaxy Note II, which has a 5.5-inch screen, at home as a mini-tablet, and I thought it was great. I prefer iOS, so I was happy Apple was going to jump into the phablet market.

Sure enough, on the day the phone was available for preorder, I woke up and ordered the iPhone 6 Plus.

It arrived Wednesday, and my initial impression — 30 minutes in — was positive. The big screen is flat-out gorgeous. It's thin, and the device looks good.

But, after ~12 hours with it, I have more mixed emotions. I am now wondering if this phone is too big for me and my day-to-day usage. I am wondering if in a week I'll be at the Apple Store, returning the phone.

What's the problem? I had no idea how important one-handed usage is with a smartphone until it was basically taken away from me with the iPhone 6 Plus.

I am 6-foot-1, and I think I have the hands that correspond with that size. I use medium-size grips on my golf clubs, if that helps add perspective. To be precise: It's not as if I have freak baby hands.

Wednesday, while I was setting up my phone, I was eating dinner — sausage sandwiches with potato chips, because I like to eat healthy. As a result, I did the whole thing one-handed. That wasn't too bad, but I did start to feel like my left hand was getting disjointed trying to bend my thumb around to hit various buttons.

But that was an exception, right? Setting up the phone is a one-time thing. What about normal usage?

Well, I was sitting on my couch watching TV, and it turns out I use my phone with just one hand a lot! More than I ever realized. And I felt as if I had to pop my thumb out of its joint to move around the phone.

Here's the best analogy I can think of for describing the new sort of motions needed to navigate this big phone: Have you ever tried to move around on the ground without using your arms? You end up shuffling using your butt.

Likewise, when trying to move your hand around the 6 Plus, you use your palm to move the phone, and slide your fingers from side to side.

My iPhone 5S was sitting next to me on the couch, and I started picking it up. I had a newfound appreciation for how small and easily used it is. I could zip around the screen, no problem. And it's not that small, really. I could see what I needed to see. The screen on the iPhone 6 Plus is beautiful and big, but it doesn't feel like that much of an improvement, at least, not right now.

When my wife came home, I showed her the iPhone 6 Plus. She hated it. She treated it as if it were covered in disease, immediately handing it back to me. I took it, tried to shuffle it in my hand to unlock, and I dropped it on the floor. Happily, nothing happened to it. But, I am now hyper aware of how easy it is to drop the thing.

The one-handed thing came up again when I was getting ready to go to sleep. I'm one of those pathetic losers who can't do anything without looking at his phone. So, when I brush my teeth, I like to check Twitter. And I could do that with the 6 Plus, but it was slightly uncomfortable.

Thursday morning, walking to the train, I wanted to whip out my phone to see if I was running late. But there is no whipping out of the iPhone 6 Plus. There is only careful removal, because the risk of dropping it is real.

Other things about the 6 Plus that I find odd:

Apple moved the power button to the side, but it's too high on the side.
I still have to slink my hands into position to hit it.
In Safari, if I want to open a new page or a new tab, I have to slide my thumb all the way across the phone.
The reachability mode from Apple is not all that useful. Apple has this new thing where you double tap the home button and the screen slides down. 1) It's hard to get my thumb to the home button. 2) I don't even know how this helps.
To be clear, I am not returning it — at least not yet. I'm going to be giving the phone a week before making up my mind.

The problem for me, and perhaps for anyone who buys the 6 Plus, is more mental than physical. In my head, this is an "iPhone," and so I expect it to behave like an iPhone. But in reality, it's something totally different.

If Apple named this the iPad Nano, I would probably have no complaints. I would just think of it like I think of the iPad Mini. I don't complain about one-handed usage with an iPad Mini because I don't expect it.

It's a new category of device, and so I will have to use it in new ways.

The question, which I will be revisiting in a week, is whether I figure out a new way to use the phone. And whether it's worth whatever compromises I have to make in using the phone in a new way.

The big screen is gorgeous, but after 12 hours with it, I'm not sure it's worth the trade-off of a truly easy-to-use little mobile phone.

First world problem??;)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

There are countless of people using similar sized phones and they just get used to it... ... If one doesn't like the "plus" there is always the "regular" 6 ... An article from a person out of inspiration .. <shrug>

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
It's too big for me. So is a Galaxy. We just took our brave first step out of the Apple ecosystem recently and bought 3 Galaxy Lite Samsungs. Why "Lite?" Simple: That size, which is about the same as a regular iPhone, is at the upper limits of pocket size. And 2 out of 3 of us don't carry a purse. Didn't even think about the problem of one-hand operation.

Tim

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I have a larger phone than the iPhone 6+ and I love the screen size. I use two hands with it though. One to hold it, another to operate it. If I'm just reading with it (e.g. Kindle app) I often just use my thumb to flip pages.

But then again, when I had my iPhone 4s, I also used two hands. I needed to pinch and zoom constantly and it's pretty darn hard to do that and hold the phone with just one hand...

If you had no problems with the smaller screen size of your previous iPhone then I guess there's no point to the 6...

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Heck I sill have a 4 and see no benefit to dump it. Though I may go for a 5s. They are giving them away now and still pocket size. Holding a small TV screen to my ear is not in the cards. Plus I already have a tablet if/when I wish to use it.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
That's it. I feel weird holding a Note 3 to my ear when the device notifies me of an actual phone call. So I rarely use it as a phone, and that's what is liberating :)

Heck I sill have a 4 and see no benefit to dump it. Though I may go for a 5s. They are giving them away now and still pocket size. Holding a small TV screen to my ear is not in the cards. Plus I already have a tablet if/when I wish to use it.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I'm 6'7" and have king kong hands. Not worried about fit. It's about time something is made for the plus sized man...;)
It arrives Monday according to Verizon fed ex tracking.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
All of these concerns existed when the original up-sized android phones showed up. I remember getting my HTC and hating it for "making phone calls." It seems so big even though it was probably just half an inch larger :). Over time you get used to not having a death grip on the phone and hold it loosely. Also, a lot of my calling happens in the car where I am not holding it anyway. Other times I use the excellent speakerphone if I am alone and it is a conference call. The trade off is well worth it when it comes to other usabilities.

I say give it a few weeks.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
The 6 fits in my front jeans pocket just fine -- this is where I've always carried my phone. I'm liking the screen size upgrade over the 5S, the camera is noticeably better too. No interest in anything 6+ sized here. Jeans pocket would be out among other things.

That said, I'll venture for most people the telephone function of these devices is used less than data stuff, so it's really how big a computer you want to carry and whether one-handed operation matters to you. That it seems awkward to use as a phone is less the point.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Lee: So how do you carry it around? Something this size hung on a belt would be guaranteed to hang up on anything you walked near!

I've always carried my iPhone5 on my belt in the clip case from Otterbox Defender. This protective case for the phone already makes it even larger, so the difference in size will not really present much of a challenge (except getting into my wife's car and the side seat back supports!).

It's a matter of the greater convenience of using the device vs. finding the best angle/position on my waistline for it.

Lee

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I sticking with my heavy duty mil spec Motorola flip phone that rings really loudly IF I have it turned on.

I use it for occasional phone calls, never for texting and I don't even want to see an email or anything on the internet.

It's almost perfect.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing