What CD or LP do you keep coming back to for another listening session?

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
For me, it is Hope Waits, self titled first CD. She just sounds fantastic.
I think she is working on her 2nd release. I hope it's as good as the first.

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
For classical music, I often fixate on one work and listen to the same performance or all the performances I have for several days. Then my fixation subsides and I'm back to a more normal listening pattern.

Recently, I was tracking down a CD with Sandor Vegh conducting the Mozart Divertimento K. 251. While I searched, I played performances by the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra and by Robert Johnson / NY Philomusica. Then I located and bought the Vegh CD, ripped it to Flac files and listened to the files several times. Then I saw some old radio broadcast files of groups playing K. 251 and downloaded them. That kept me going for a few more days. So the fixation was a bit longer lasting than most fixations.

Beethoven's first symphony was an obsession that lasted for almost a year.

In popular music, I played the Joan Morris / William Bolcum CDs of Gershwin, Porter, etc. frequently in past years. Lately, Fats Waller / 'The Joint is Jumpin' gets played frequently.

I've got perhaps 2500 CDs and I like a lot of them so I spread my listening out pretty effectively.

Bill

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
For me it's always been 2 LP's.

Rickie Lee Jones - Rickie Lee Jones (debut)
Rickie Lee Jones &.JPG

Fiori-Seguin- Deux Cents Nuits A L'Heure
Fiori Seguin - DE&#.JPG

I have played these hundreds of times and will never tire of them.

John

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Making the rounds lately:

On LP:
Rashomon/Carlton Records
Missouri Breaks
Supertramp: Crime of the Century (UK)
Roy Haynes: Out on the Afternoon/Impulse (45 rpm) release
Picaflor: Music for Mandolin and Guitar/Titanic Records
Mel Torme: I Dig the Count/I Dig the Duke/Verve (original) or Tony Bennett/Bill Evans Album/Fantasy (45 rpm)
Martin Simpson: Sad or High Kicking/Topic Records

On 15 ips tape:
Arnold Overtures/RR
Bill Evans Waltz for Debby/Riverside
Hindemith: VC/Decca

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
For me lately it has been.

Supertramp - Crime of the Century and Even in the Quietest Moment
Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus
Benny Carter - Live and well in Japan
Harace Silver - Song for my Father

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
And thanks John and Myles, your guys posts got me in the mood to go to my favorite used vinyl store in Ann Arbor, I'm back now $122 later listening to a mint copy of Janis Ian - Between the Lines.......also scored some Rickie Lee Jones, Rory Galagher,Zappa,and David Lindley.

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
Rory Gallager, I haven't heard his music in a long time.

I think he died several years ago.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
And thanks John and Myles, your guys posts got me in the mood to go to my favorite used vinyl store in Ann Arbor, I'm back now $122 later listening to a mint copy of Janis Ian - Between the Lines.......also scored some Rickie Lee Jones, Rory Galagher,Zappa,and David Lindley.

LOL...picked up Janis Ian - Between the Lines last week as well. A used copy, still cellophaned and in mint condition as well. Paid $1.....

Am not familiar with David Lindley......can you tell me more?

John

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
I wasn't either until my wife and I went and saw Jackson Browne at the Fox theater in Detroit last weekend. He has been playing with Browne for like 40 years. I just never realized what an excellent guitar player he is, they started the concert with 4 acoustic tunes just him and Browne with guitars and then he played 3 tunes himself and joined the rest of the band later, and excellent solid 3 hour show. So I picked up 4 of his albums today, funny he still has dark hair on the covers, in reality he is all grey now, but like I said one of the best slide players I've heard. I'll let you know how these lps sound in the next few days when I play them.

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
I have to go digging for some Rory music tonight. Wife won't be home, lights out, gear on, air guitar in hand, volume up to beyond wife acceptable levels!!
Should be fun!

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Back in his younger days Rory was known for playing for over 6 hours in concert. 6 HOURS!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The list is long, very long. Up there at the often-repeated top are Van Morrison's "It's Too Late To Stop Now," "Astral Weeks" and "Into The Music," Miles' "Kind of Blue" and 'Round About Midnight," Bill Evans "Waltz For Debby," Steve Earle's "Jerusalem" and "The Revolution Starts Now," David Crosby's "If I Could Only Remember My Name," Cannonball Adderly's "Somethin' Else"...the list is very, very long.

P

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
David Lindley is a guitar freak! He is best known for his vocal on Jackson Browne's version of "Stay". His first couple of albums with his band, El-Rayo X are worth seeking out...great sonics too!

Always feels good to listen to:

"Face To Face" - Oscar Peterson & Freddie Hubbard
"The Greatest" - Cat Power
"London Calling" - The Clash
"More Fun In the New World" - X
"Direct From LA" - Great Jazz Trio
"One From The Road" - The Kinks
"Tango Zero Hour" - Astor Piazzola
"Elis & Tom" - Elis Regina and Jobim
"Tribalistas" - Marisa Monte
"Bebo & Cigala" - Bebo Valdes & Cigala
"Leaving Wonderland in a Fit of Rage" - Marcy Playground
"Live In London" - Leonard Cohen

Last edited:

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
Jazdoc. 2 of the Lindley albums I picked up today are with El-Rayo X one of them a live album and you are right they are well recorded. I have another question for you guys too. The diamond in the rough that I picked up today is a Japanese import direct to disc recording distributed by Audio Technica, it is a jazz quartet called the Detroit Four, the album is titled Cadillac And Mack. Has anybody heard of this group?? The recording is superb and the music is awfully good too.

hermann

Nov 10, 2013
For the past several years, my most often listened to LP is Dire Straits S/T
Can't get enough of "Six Blade Knife"

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
For the past several years, my most often listened to LP is Dire Straits S/T
Can't get enough of "Six Blade Knife"

Solid, solid debut album and one that gets a lot of plays here. Nice choice.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing