New USB Cable from DH Labs: The Mirage

Andre,

I've been using a 5 meter run of the Mirage to interface to my EAR Acute III's USB input, for about 3 months. Its the first USB cable that, IMO, allows an equal performance to spinning discs internally. I've not experienced this with other top of the line usb cables from Audioquest or WireWorld.
Obviously, YMMV.

Off Topic.... I just tried a Lenovo Thinkpad 2 tablet as a server, using its standard file manager (Windows 8.1) and it was wonderful! IMO, it bettered a Macbook Pro running Pure Music. Unfortunately, it has only one USB port, which make connecting USB flash drives and/or USB disk drives quite impractical.

FWIW,
Paul

Last edited:
Andre,

I've been using a 5 meter run of the Mirage to interface to my EAR Acute III's USB input, for about 3 months. Its the first USB cable that, IMO, allows an equal performance to spinning discs internally. I've not experienced this with other top of the line usb cables from Audioquest or WireWorld.
Obviously, YMMV.

Off Topic.... I just tried a Lenovo Thinkpad 2 tablet as a server, using its standard file manager (Windows 8.1) and it was wonderful! IMO, it bettered a Macbook Pro running Pure Music. Unfortunately, it has only one USB port, which make connecting USB flash drives and/or USB disk drives quite impractical.

FWIW,
Paul

Thanks for the preview!

Interesting about the Thinkpad. Using a tablet as a source has been quite the topic lately. I am not surprised it bettered a Macbook Pro.

My sources will not be computers per se, but a SOtM Mini Server with battery power supply, and an Auralic Aries.

Here is a graphic for the other folks:

MirageUSB-1.jpg

Thanks for the preview!

Interesting about the Thinkpad. Using a tablet as a source has been quite the topic lately. I am not surprised it bettered a Macbook Pro.

Andre,

Apologies for the OT query...
Well it sure surprised the heck out of me! So after I transferred some wav files from the usb flash drive to the Thinkpad's internal 64GB SSD, highlighting a file in the file manager it brings up an icon saying 'listen', and tapping that proceeds to play lovely music (iff'n you consider Balkan Beat Box lovely). If the dang Thinkpad tablet had more than one USB port, it would be a no-brainer for my needs.
Do you have any references from knowledgeable folk on using tablets as a music server?

Thanks,
Paul

Andre,

Apologies for the OT query...
Well it sure surprised the heck out of me! So after I transferred some wav files from the usb flash drive to the Thinkpad's internal 64GB SSD, highlighting a file in the file manager it brings up an icon saying 'listen', and tapping that proceeds to play lovely music (iff'n you consider Balkan Beat Box lovely). If the dang Thinkpad tablet had more than one USB port, it would be a no-brainer for my needs.
Do you have any references from knowledgeable folk on using tablets as a music server?

Thanks,
Paul

I plead ignorance on this topic..I have just noted with interest postings on various forums about user experience.

Andre,

Obviously, YMMV.

Paul
Paul - thank you so much for sharing your valuable experience! I find it very interesting and look forward to hearing more about this new cable design as reviews become available.

This DELL tablet plus docking station looks like a excellent contender for a music server.

Dell Venue 11 Pro Tablet i5 CPU, 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM, 1 3.0 USB Port
Docking Station: 3 USB 3.0 ports and a ethernet port.

c26-tablet-dock-1-l.jpg

This DELL tablet plus docking station looks like a excellent contender for a music server.

Dell Venue 11 Pro Tablet i5 CPU, 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM, 1 3.0 USB Port
Docking Station: 3 USB 3.0 ports and a ethernet port.

c26-tablet-dock-1-l.jpg

I have to say I agree. For the money it will be an excellent choice.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing