Synergistic Amp for Esoteric MG20 Sjpeakers

tes

Jul 27, 2014
Hello,

I am currently looking for a synergistic amplifier to go with my Esoteric MG20 speakers. New/Used/Budget up to 15K (but if there is no point to spending so much...that is fine too)

Anyone with suggestions?

Thank you

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I had he opportunity to listen to Esoteric's own amplifiers with many different speakers in Tokyo last year. I guess I would start there.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Another good match with solid state electronics would be Hegel. They also sound fine with Rogue or Manley tube gear. I strongly suggest positioning the speakers in the rather unconventional way that is recommended in the manual, toeing them in significantly so that the intersection of their aimed path crosses in front of the listening position. When setup that way these speakers completely disappear and create an stunningly realistic image, which on excellent recordings effectively recreates the sense of space of the original venue. :)

tes

Jul 27, 2014
Thanks for the replies.

I have been considering the Esoteric A-03 (class A). I will see if I can find a dealer here to try it out.

I have used a modest tube amp in the past Curcio mod Dyna ST70 and that little amp did some glorious midrange things. That was some time ago though. So tubes are intriguing, it's just the maintenance of them.

@audio.bill
You sound as if you are familiar with them. How would you characterize the difference between the Hegel and the tube options. And yes, I wholly agree with the setup.

T

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing