For all the CD lovers...

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
That was a good read Johny, thanks for posting the link. CD's all the way!

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Thanks. Interesting article.

In my case, 99% of the reasons I prefer CD's are (1) the convenience of putting them on my server, access and then only listening to those songs on a particular CD that I care to and then quickly, without getting out of my chair, switching; (2) as the writer says, they are in many cases less expensive than downloads and (3) I like the physical medium for backup.

As for musical quality, both digital and analog have their strengths. Lastly, I have WAAAAAAAY more music than I will ever have time to listen to and since I am much more interested in conveniently listening to music than I am the source from which it comes, CD wins.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Used CDs are still the best way to get new music into my server. It's amazing what people will sell to the used CD store for pennies onthe dollar, and the used CD store will, in turn, sell to me for...quarters on the dollar?

And when I have the CD, I have a backup. I still back everything up on a second hard drive, mind you, bur it makes me feel better to have the original source as well. I have no love for CD packaging, though. I throw it away and keep my backups in binders. All music.com is my liner notes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing