Double Blind tests *did* show amplifiers to sound different

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
We've had people here report astonishing differences between cables at first listen. But I'm sure it takes weeks of sighted listening and discussion to hear subtle differences and reach audiophile consensus.

Tim

We have agreed since long on audiophile hyperbole - it is part of their jargon. But it is not what we are really debating.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I am always addressing the same thing - the constraints imposed by real audiophile life added to our ignorance about audio blind tests methodology make the so called casual tests invalid. So the only thing left for forum debates is gedankenexperiment.

BTW, did you ever carry a blind test you consider valid?

I guess what I am trying to understand is why are casual blind tests considered invalid when causal sighted tests are not?
That was the question I was trying to ask in the hypothetical example I gave in post #69

To answer your question, I have conducted many causal blind tests which I consider to be more valid than the casual sighted tests I have conducted

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Please read post #79.

I did, micro. It's just another example of holding the listening method which removes a ton of potential bias to a much higher level of scrutiny than the method which leaves all the possibilities for bias in play. It doesn't make a bit of sense.

Tim

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) To answer your question, I have conducted many causal blind tests which I consider to be more valid than the casual sighted tests I have conducted

Do you want to describe them in detail and their conclusions?

BTW, I also consider most individual casual sighted tests as invalid. But the statistical gathering of many sighted tests, made with great care and knowledge can result in valuable conclusions. A typical case is when three or more independent people, with no knowledge of each other, reach compatible conclusions. Surely we have to be sure that they are not being influenced by the marketing literature or a former review. ;)

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Do you want to describe them in detail and their conclusions?

BTW, I also consider most individual casual sighted tests as invalid. But the statistical gathering of many sighted tests, made with great care and knowledge can result in valuable conclusions. A typical case is when three or more independent people, with no knowledge of each other, reach compatible conclusions. Surely we have to be sure that they are not being influenced by the marketing literature or a former review. ;)

But casual sighted tests are what the vast majority of audiophiles use when selecting components for their system. Are they therefore making invalid choices?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
But casual sighted tests are what the vast majority of audiophiles use when selecting components for their system. Are they therefore making invalid choices?

No, most of the time the differences are large enough to overcome bias, and thanks to their previous knowledge and experience very often they make the choice they really wanted. Remember that happily our preferences have a broad fork. But it is why it is important to have the help of knowledgeable and serious people when buying high-end if you do not have the time and conditions to listen carefully. Remember the processes we debate are statistical and should be debated according to the rules of statistics.

Again, do you want to describe your blind sessions in detail and their conclusions?

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
No, most of the time the differences are large enough to overcome bias, and thanks to their previous knowledge and experience very often they make the choice they really wanted. Remember that happily our preferences have a broad fork. But it is why it is important to have the help of knowledgeable and serious people when buying high-end if you do not have the time and conditions to listen carefully. Remember the processes we debate are statistical and should be debated according to the rules of statistics.

Again, do you want to describe your blind sessions in detail and their conclusions?

Most of the time, in my experience of sighted testing, I *thought* the differences were big enough to overcome my biases. However, once my knowledge of which component was playing was removed, more often than not the differences became pretty much imperceptible.
What should I make of that?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Most of the time, in my experience of sighted testing, I *thought* the differences were big enough to overcome my biases. However, once my knowledge of which component was playing was removed, more often than not the differences became pretty much imperceptible.
What should I make of that?

IMHO better listening, more statistics and correlation are needed in your sighted tests. Or most probably that your secret blind tests were not valid as the methodology obfuscated the differences. Or o a mix of both.

As you do not want to share details of your experience our conversation is going too hypothetical and nothing new or interesting is being added. Perhaps we should friendly stop now. :b

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
IMHO better listening, more statistics and correlation are needed in your sighted tests. Or most probably that your secret blind tests were not valid as the methodology obfuscated the differences. Or o a mix of both.

As you do not want to share details of your experience our conversation is going too hypothetical and nothing new or interesting is being added. Perhaps we should friendly stop now. :b

You what a major and very basic problem is in these tests? The heart of the problem? The basic question? What the hell does sound different actually mean?It's such as nebulous question as to make any test meaningless.

Couple that with the perceptual science studies showing that as one increases the complexity of the task, perceptual skills severely decrease (or why a QB throws an interception when being blitzed). It's simply and utterly impossible for listeners to reliably concentrate on the many parameters involved in musical reproduction and get any sort of consistent, reproducible effects. That also explains in large part why Olive's studies are misguided: eg. novices score as well as "established" audiophiles. Novices just don't know what to listen for nor the ins and outs of audio reproduction. Ergo, they don't tax their perceptual skills.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing