World Cup predictions anyone?

Rob.Petersen

May 6, 2014
Vancouver, WA
I'm looking forward to this, but I'm not too sure who the real frontrunners are. In particular, I'll be interested to see if Korea and Japan are able to pull some upsets.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm looking forward to this, but I'm not too sure who the real frontrunners are. In particular, I'll be interested to see if Korea and Japan are able to pull some upsets.

I agree. This one is wide open and should make for a most exciting tourney! I think Japan has a decent chance to get out of their group, but I don't think Korea does.

Despite the fact many are picking Brasil (home advantage) I think Germany is the team to beat and it's theirs for the taking IMO.

Some underdogs ....Portugal and Belgium.

My wish....The Netherlands!:D

Rob.Petersen

May 6, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Ya, all I've heard out of England was their concern about the heat in Brasil....not too positive, I guess their drought will continue.
Are you predicting Brasil as a fan, or on some things that you know?

USA is in tough with Germany and Portugal in their group - and I've no idea where Ghana is at these days.

Rob.Petersen

May 6, 2014
Vancouver, WA
I agree. This one is wide open and should make for a most exciting tourney! I think Japan has a decent chance to get out of their group, but I don't think Korea does.

Despite the fact many are picking Brasil (home advantage) I think Germany is the team to beat and it's theirs for the taking IMO.

The Netherlands can play football...wrt to Portugal, I can't help but feel that they will go as Cristiano goes.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Ya, all I've heard out of England was their concern about the heat in Brasil....not too positive, I guess their drought will continue.

USA is in tough with Germany and Portugal in their group - and I've no idea where Ghana is at these days.

Ghana is in the same group. Germany and Portugal will advance, unless either team suffers a disaster that the Dutch went through at the last Eurocup.

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey

Not a fan, but they have to be favorites due to being the host nation, plus always having a good team. I haven't really been following international football. I only follow Celtic. I hope that the U.S. does well.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It's somewhat interesting in that no matter what board I'm on or even in speaking with my pals/buddies, that Spain has been left out of the conversation as possible winners.

If Spain were to win, would that make them the best football team ever with 2 successive WC wins and a Euro win between?

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
It's somewhat interesting in that no matter what board I'm on or even in speaking with my pals/buddies, that Spain has been left out of the conversation as possible winners.

If Spain were to win, would that make them the best football team ever with 2 successive WC wins and a Euro win between?

I don't think that it would make them the best. The French team what won it were better, as was Brasil 1970, Holland 1974 that didn't win it, etc. It would be very impressive, nonetheless.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I don't think that it would make them the best. The French team what won it were better, as was Brasil 1970, Holland 1974 that didn't win it, etc. It would be very impressive, nonetheless.
It sure as hell would be! That's a long run for being at the top and pulling off those kinds of victories.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

I am with you. Brazil for some reason will always field a competitive team. Superlative individual talent will (and has made-up) make up for what they lack in cohesion and at times coaching. Germany is always competitive even when individual talents are from ho-hum to entirely unremarkable. At times even the biggest soccer-head may not be able to name before the World Cup some of their greatest players, yet , Germany seem to end up at least at the quarter finals or too often the Finals with teams (and players) no one paid attention to.
There are some Dark horses: Spain looks good and Argentina has the best player in the World a kind of Michael Jordan soccer equivalent, Lionel Messi . Then Portugal has his closest rival Christiano Ronaldo and usually a good team ...

I don't think Belgium is going very far and I am wishing for the Orange Crush (Netherlands) to finally win a well-deserved Soccer World Cup.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I am with you. Brazil for some reason will always field a competitive team. Superlative individual talent will (and has made-up) make up for what they lack in cohesion and at times coaching. Germany is always competitive even when individual talents are from ho-hum to entirely unremarkable. At times even the biggest soccer-head may not be able to name before the World Cup some of their greatest players, yet , Germany seem to end up at least at the quarter finals or too often the Finals with teams (and players) no one paid attention to.
There are some Dark horses: Spain looks good and Argentina has the best player in the World a kind of Michael Jordan soccer equivalent, Lionel Messi . Then Portugal has his closest rival Christiano Ronaldo and usually a good team ...

I don't think Belgium is going very far and I am wishing for the Orange Crush (Netherlands) to finally win a well-deserved Soccer World Cup.

Belgium is much more of a stretch than Portugal, but remember Greece in the Euro 2004?

Correction to previous post about Spain:

Euro 2008: 1-0 over Germany
WC 2010 : 1-0 over The Netherlands
Euro 2012: 4-0 over Italy.

If they were to win this WC2014 you'd have to say they are the best team to have ever been fielded.

EDIT: 4th Time lucky for The Netherlands if we get there? I would be so happy. Please Lord....give me ONE WC !

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Based on last year's Confederation Cup, I wouldn't leave either Italy or Spain out of the contender's list. Some of the spanish players are past their prime, but they have the benefit of playing together for many years together, the same thing that German team has going for them, even though their skill level is below Spain's.

Even though I'm local, I don't think Brazil is going to have it easy, given the amount of quality teams this year, as all the above posts demonstrate. And that's not even counting for the odd "surprise", like Croatia, or one of the african teams, that usually upset one of the majors along the way.

I do agree that Holland deserves a world cup, but they had better teams before, and failed (against Brazil even), so I don't think, with the current team, and the group they landed in, that it's their turn.

One thing is for sure, we're going to have the the most expensive World Cup, ever!

alexandre

Rob.Petersen

May 6, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Based on last year's Confederation Cup, I wouldn't leave either Italy or Spain out of the contender's list. Some of the spanish players are past their prime, but they have the benefit of playing together for many years together, the same thing that German team has going for them, even though their skill level is below Spain's.

Even though I'm local, I don't think Brazil is going to have it easy, given the amount of quality teams this year, as all the above posts demonstrate. And that's not even counting for the odd "surprise", like Croatia, or one of the african teams, that usually upset one of the majors along the way.

I do agree that Holland deserves a world cup, but they had better teams before, and failed (against Brazil even), so I don't think, with the current team, and the group they landed in, that it's their turn.

One thing is for sure, we're going to have the the most expensive World Cup, ever!

alexandre

LOL...yes, the ever present Italians. Gawd they drive me nuts with their antics...solid footballers, but the masters of histrionics...LOL

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Like all fans I have hopes for my team, but I'm also realistic enough to recognize this isn't the one that will finally see them (Holland) victorious.

Rob.Petersen

May 6, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Like all fans I have hopes for my team, but I'm also realistic enough to recognize this isn't the one that will finally see them (Holland) victorious.
Same here...I suppose I'd have to call England or Sweden "my team" - at least from the ancestral POV, and I don't think England really has anymore chance than Sweden winning this time around...

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Short answer: Brazil, Germany or Argentina. Mexico has possibilities until quarter-finals, not more than that...

Rob.Petersen

May 6, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Short answer: Brazil, Germany or Argentina. Mexico has possibilities until quarter-finals, not more than that...

Should be fun to watch whatever the outcome. I hope Brazil, as the host nation, has been able to overcome the construction delays, structural collapses and protests in time for the whole event.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Should be fun to watch whatever the outcome. I hope Brazil, as the host nation, has been able to overcome the construction delays, structural collapses and protests in time for the whole event.

No, we haven't :)
We're now in full "hide it under the carpet" mode, with lots of unfinished construction areas being boarded out, so people won't notice...
The city of Salvador even came up with a "FIFA Fun Walk", where you have to go through this specific (boarded) path to get to the stadium, just so you don't see all the unfinished stuff, as well as the latent poverty all around.

alexandre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing