Ultraanalogue's Violin Encores Reel To Reel Tape

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Hello again all. I've not had time to return here for a while. I have been very busy working on a real estate website for my dear wife. I had given myself til May 15th to complete. Today it's a real pleasure to give my take on another Ultraanlogue Recording. I've had this tape for several weeks, but due to my busy schedule I am just now able to put it on my Tascam 42B for listening.

What a great idea Dr. Pong and his staff had to post snippets of some of the music on their website. This gives those of us who might not be familiar with some of this beautiful music a means of hearing what we can look forward to. It's funny how I actually had not planned to purchase a tape at the time. I was browsing through one of my Absolute Sound or Stereophile mags and there was a reel to reel advert. Since I had a moment, I decided to go to the Ultraanalogue website. Scrolling through the many tapes I played samples from "Violin Encores". It was not until I sampled "Williams-Schindlers List" that I decided I had to have this tape.

I want to mention first, the Violin Encores Tape is an outstanding recording. Dr. Ed Pong and Mr. Tony Ma continue to put their best efforts into every tape they produce. The musicians, Xiang Yu (violin) and Eldon Ng (piano) so gifted and equally outstanding. The encores are, Elgar's (Salut D' Amour), Gluk's (Melodic-Monti-Czardas), Bach's (Adagio), Chopin's (Nocturne), Massenet's (Meditation) and William's (Schindler's List). This music makes a powerful statement and staggers the imagination because of its great beauty. Again, this tape was very well recorded, extra quiet and the music came forward out of a black background. My Magnapan speakers presented the musicians and their instruments in a most realistic manner. I felt as if I could get up from my listening position and walk between and around these two extraordinary artists. Please make every effort to go to UltraAnalogue's website, find and listen to the samples presented there. Once you hear the this great music, you'll want to add this tape to your collection if you don't already have it. :)

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi Bob
That tape is my favor too, so many recording like Meditation and Shindler's list by other players out there. you can make a comparison with them will give you the answer , even Xiang Yu himself said he can't play all the time just like that time of recording when he listen back from the tape, one more thing he has just signed by the C-M Artists Management of New YorK will have concerts all around the world, I do believe he will have a bright future same as Lang Lang so you are lucky got his tape recording before he fly out ( later will be CD only)
tony ma

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
:) Good Friday Evening Mr. Tony Ma,
Thank you for responding. I have compared a few versions of Meditation, but not Shindler's List yet. However, I am totally satisfied that Mr. Xiang Yu's recording is outstanding with warm and emotional playing. I have to repeat, the effort you and Dr. Pong put into each tape is hard to believe. I have not heard one tape that is not of the highest quality sir. Thank you and thank you so much. :) Bob

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
:) My friend, Listens2Tubes, great to hear from you sir. When you can, go get this tape. I truly believe you will as thrilled as I was. It's a great tape featuring beautiful music sir. Bob

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing