MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
image.jpg image.jpg

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Are those Gryphon's new flagship speakers in the background?

Touraj is making funny gestures again :D

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Ah now we're talking--that should move the AF1 up a few notches-- I always felt (personally) the TT was hamstrung by it's present Arm that it is demoed with.

Good one!

BD

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Ah now we're talking--that should move the AF1 up a few notches-- I always felt (personally) the TT was hamstrung by it's present Arm that it is demoed with.

Good one!

BD

Which arm is it usually demoed with? I've seen photos of this table with lots of different arms on it, including SME, Durand, Graham.

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012

Good one!

BD

The AFO is really superb with the Vertere arm.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Too bad he doesn't maximize the AF1's performance by using the HRS custom platform along with an active isolation device. I remember Gary asking Nishakawa-san if active isolation would improve the AF1's performance. He replied it was not necessary. Based on my own testing, it is necessary to maximize the performance of the table. I know, I am starting to sound like a broken record. ;)

Attachments

• 2-IMG_0444.jpg
    2-IMG_0444.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 561

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Too bad he doesn't maximize the AF1's performance by using the HRS custom platform along with an active isolation device. I remember Gary asking Nishakawa-san if active isolation would improve the AF1's performance. He replied it was not necessary. Based on my own testing, it is necessary to maximize the performance of the table. I know, I am starting to sound like a broken record. ;)

As a 25 year reviewer I can confidently say that every table I have tested or set up in another reviewer's or phile's home benefits/detracts from the platform being used.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

Christian,

Did you try the HRS platform UNDER the active device? The Herzan active vibration control system uses feedback servo-control with piezo accelerometers - just like my woofers, but the objective there is to cancel vibration by generating an equal and opposite signal. There MUST be some envelop of frequency and amplitude where the control system is designed for. The Table Stable uses metal springs for broad spectrum control and the active system for what they call "sub-hertz" control.

As the HRS platform has compliant feet and vibration absorption technology, I have to expect that there would be some cancellation of the effectiveness of the Table Stable, or at least some interaction between the two. The constraint-layer damped platform I designed for the AFO for last CES (which dmnc02 has) should work better between the Table Stable and the AFO. You should at least try using the AFO directly on the Table Stable, and then try the HRS under the Table Stable.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm happy using my CMS QXKs. Unfortunately I'm almost a foot shorter than Christian so cuing would be at nose level if I added a Herzan :D Then again I could check VTA while standing straight! LOL!

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Christian,

Did you try the HRS platform UNDER the active device? The Herzan active vibration control system uses feedback servo-control with piezo accelerometers - just like my woofers, but the objective there is to cancel vibration by generating an equal and opposite signal. There MUST be some envelop of frequency and amplitude where the control system is designed for. The Table Stable uses metal springs for broad spectrum control and the active system for what they call "sub-hertz" control.

As the HRS platform has compliant feet and vibration absorption technology, I have to expect that there would be some cancellation of the effectiveness of the Table Stable, or at least some interaction between the two. The constraint-layer damped platform I designed for the AFO for last CES (which dmnc02 has) should work better between the Table Stable and the AFO. You should at least try using the AFO directly on the Table Stable, and then try the HRS under the Table Stable.

+1 I heard the results between Gary's shelf and the HRS shelf under the AF1 as well.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
image.jpg

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian,

I did not, the main reason being, the TechDAS will not fit on the TS-140. Part of the motor foot(s) would have to hang off the side. The other issue is motor creep. When the motor is positioned in the dished feet cups on the platform, the motor does not move at all. I was concerned about the supposed canceling effect. There really isn't any. The TechDAS motor throws off a lot of vibration. You can see it on the TS-140 vibration graphs for 2 horizontals on one vertical. The motor actually makes a very periodic sign wave type vibration in the vertical and one horizontal plane. The TS 140 senses this vibration through the HRS platform. I forget to turn it on many times when I first start listening, then I realize I am not hearing the transparency and bass control and flick it on. It is not a subtle improvement. I think Mike L has also confirmed that a passive device on top of the TS-140 yields more benefits that not using it. I have to agree with him based on my own experience.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I did not, the main reason being, the TechDAS will not fit on the TS-140. Part of the motor foot(s) would have to hang off the side. The other issue is motor creep. When the motor is positioned in the dished feet cups on the platform, the motor does not move at all. I was concerned about the supposed canceling effect. There really isn't any. The TechDAS motor throws off a lot of vibration. You can see it on the TS-140 vibration graphs for 2 horizontals on one vertical. The motor actually makes a very periodic sign wave type vibration in the vertical and one horizontal plane. The TS 140 senses this vibration through the HRS platform. I forget to turn it on many times when I first start listening, then I realize I am not hearing the transparency and bass control and flick it on. It is not a subtle improvement. I think Mike L has also confirmed that a passive device on top of the TS-140 yields more benefits that not using it. I have to agree with him based on my own experience.

Yes - that was where I thought that getting the AFO off the HRS platform would help. Because the platform has a one-piece top, and the cut-outs tightly couple the motor's feet and the turntable's feet (so that the motor doesn't creep), that is a good path where the vibration can travel. I'm sure that the TS140 senses this vibration through the HRS platform and cancels it out. I just thought that it might work better without the de-coupling feet between the vibration and the TS140. It's just a thought.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I hadn't realized that there are that many AFOs in the wild already :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing