Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sonos / the best mousetrap?

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar

The audiophile mousetrap

Attached Images Attached Images  

Addicted to Best! thedudeabides's Avatar
    You're a funny guy.

Member Sponsor Senior Member
    Ben Ratliff has a review of wireless speakers, including the Sonos, in the NYT today. Interesting review since he's a music reviewer, not a technology guy. He decides to go with the Sonos.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/19/te...n-to-size.html

Addicted to Best! thedudeabides's Avatar
    Thank you for the link. Very informative from a different perspective.

Sonos rules. I went from just trying one, after Squeezebox stopped Touch production, to having 3 connects around the house, and a Sonos 5 in the bedroom. The UI trounces anything else I'd used.

Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] DonH50's Avatar
    Bringing an old thread back... After thinking about it for years, and being pushed a little by a co-worker who has a full house setup and loves it, I purchased a Bridge and Connect a few months ago with the idea of ripping all my CDs to play over the network. I have a few hundred, nowhere near as many as some here and a fraction of all the LPs I used to have, but it was still a chore! I used dBpoweramp to rip to FLAC. It didn't get all the track titles right, but handled the majority, and I'll fix the rest as I find them. I finally finished a few weeks ago and got around to hooking up the Sonos system last weekend. I am using the Connect's audio outputs though plan to use the digital output after I switch receivers (had the new one a few weeks, just no time to put it in).

Not really using anything like this before, I found the interface a bit quirky but very easy to use. I had no problem getting the Bridge to work and then adding the Connect was really easy. I had nightmares about fighting network issues for days/weeks trying to get everything to work but it was literally a few minutes. While I bought a wireless media adapter to hook up the new receiver, I stuck with the Sonos mesh network for the Connect (figured it was easier and safer to let it use its own network). It was easy to map my music library (ripped to my notebook then synched to a WD MyCloud NAS; I have a Synology RAID NAS and drives in boxes that will take over, eventually) and after years of my wife telling me how great Pandora was I finally tried it (and it is pretty nice). One goal accomplished: very easy to set up and get playing!

The sound is OK, at least to me. I have not listened long enough or hardly at all the past few months so have lost much of my basis for comparison (my Oppo broke down last fall and I haven't gotten it repaired yet). I was disappointed to read Sonos only supports 16-bit but not a killer since I have very little hi-res stuff anyway. My goals were good sound with ease-of-use since a large part of why I have not been listening to my CD collection is that, with so little time to listen, it was a hassle if I wanted to listen to say five different Maynard Ferguson songs from different albums. I used to listen to an album at a time, but anymore I tend to have a few songs in mind, often different artists and CDs, and getting up to swap CDs every few minutes just wasn't worth the effort when I was often working at the same time or only had an hour in the evening to listen. A world-wide customer base and 24/7 connectivity may be a great thing for employers, and customers appreciate the support for their time zone, but it is a lot of work for employees. Last week I picked up a 2-pack of Play 1's, one for my office and one for the family room where my wife lives, and was surprised at how good they sound for a little speaker. Would not likely ever be a primary speaker, but for casual listening and background music they are really good, and my wife likes the sound (still have to introduce her to the UI).

The speakers ("players" in Sonos-speak, which is actually more accurate) are a bit pricey, but they do include amplifiers and a network interface, so aren't really out of line if you add up the pieces and supporting technology. I have read mixed reviews about Sonos support but they were good to me before and after the sale. And the sound from the little Play 1's is better than I expected. Maggies they ain't, but they aren't bad! I kow Sonos has been compared to Bose but my very limited exposure to both has me thinking the Sonos players sound better than say the Bose Cubes. As for price, I think the various Wave players are pretty expensive for what they offer.

I plan to get a Play 5 for our basement game room for when we or the kids are down there playing pool or whatever. Unfortunately the Play 5 is the only player with a line input for the kid's iPods and such (really wish Sonos would add that to the cheaper speakers!) We had the house pre-wired for speakers but never followed through, and after ~20 years the guy who wired it is long gone and we have no hope of tracking down the wires, so Sonos is replacing that system. Bottom line is I am happy with it and wishing I had done it years ago. Would've also been fewer CDs to rip...

FWIWFM - Don
    Don Herman
    "After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
    Don's Technical Articles on WBF

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    For my wife's birthday party last week we rented a villa in Ibiza. The house has a Sonos system. I had never seen or used a Sonos system before. I discovered that the Sonos system can utilize your own songs on an iPad, internet radio stations, Spotify, etc. I found "Eagles Radio" on Spotify and we played that channel through the Sonos system for several days.

Well, my wife and I are both hooked on this Sonos thing! I plan to get their "Connect" devices, which stream the output of the Sonus through your existing amplifiers and speakers. I plan to use this for several very small stereo systems I have in a few different rooms.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000 (ordered) tonearm: SME 3012R (to come); cartridge: ZYX Universe Premium X-SB2 or Koetsu Coralstone (TBD)
    tape: Studer A820 Mk II
    phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies; line stage: Aesthetix Callisto Eclipse with 2 power supplies; amplifier: VTL MB-750s
    speakers: Gryphon Pendragons
    cables: MasterBuilt Ultra or Cardas Clear Beyond (TBD); power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; Torus AVR60BAL; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 20' wide X 25' long X 15' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Tower Slims; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks (Kedar to place)

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    Did you go to Pacha or Space?
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built, Stromtank

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Neither. My wife and her six friends wanted to relax more -- we were not into going to the big clubs.

One day we chartered a big motorboat for the day and went to Tiburon on Formentera. We went to some beach clubs.

One evening we all had dinner at Blue Marlin.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000 (ordered) tonearm: SME 3012R (to come); cartridge: ZYX Universe Premium X-SB2 or Koetsu Coralstone (TBD)
    tape: Studer A820 Mk II
    phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies; line stage: Aesthetix Callisto Eclipse with 2 power supplies; amplifier: VTL MB-750s
    speakers: Gryphon Pendragons
    cables: MasterBuilt Ultra or Cardas Clear Beyond (TBD); power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; Torus AVR60BAL; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 20' wide X 25' long X 15' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Tower Slims; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks (Kedar to place)

Banned
    Sonos has lost its mojo since introduction of Amazon Echo. I plan to rip out mine and put in the Echo in my garage. Wonderful to be able to just talk to the Echo to tell it what to play rather than pull out my phone, start sonos app, tell it what to do, etc. The company realizes this and hurrying to come up with a strategy but it might be too late: http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/10/11...zon-echo-alexa

"Alexa/Echo is the first product to really showcase the power of voice control in the home," MacFarlane [Sonos CEO] says. "Its popularity with consumers will accelerate innovation across the entire industry. What is novel today will become standard tomorrow. Here again, Sonos is taking the long view in how best to bring voice-enabled music experiences into the home. Voice is a big change for us, so we’ll invest what’s required to bring it to market in a wonderful way."

"Music is emotional. It demands immediacy of control to match our whims. And nothing is more immediate than saying, "Hey Sonos, play something happy." As a long time Sonos user, voice control seems like a natural evolution for the product. The company killed its dedicated CR200 remote control back in 2012 in favor of free smartphone apps. But for some, the extra delay at having to fish out and unlock their phones, and then launch the Sonos app tainted the overall experience."

Ron, if you have not tried Amazon Echo, I highly recommend for casual listening. It also does more than play music but music itself is superbly done. I gave my wife a Sonos and she never used it. Then I "caught" her using the Echo! Sadly she uses it to play country music. Fortunately she only does that when I am not around.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast