Brooklyn

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Definitely definitive.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Definitely definitive.

Definitively definite. It's kind of like trusting your ears, believing in things like sighted bias and placebo effect...no, wait a minute...there's tons of scientific evidence supporting the reality of sighted bias and placebo effect...I guess it's not much like trusting your ears at all.

Tim

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
It's just one man's opinion that has little real thought behind it. It would be funny though if wine snobs couldn't tell the difference between red and white wines.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Although it would be interesting to see the wine tasting/mOFC/expectation-marketing bias test done with the senior professional vinyard blenders who are tasked with tasting and blending sold products on a daily basis.

My money is the result will not match the results recorded with "normal" tasters/drinkers, probably find they feel all the drinks are crud :)
Cheers
Orb

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Apparently expectation bias is recognized in wine tasting. That is, if we know it costs more, we enjoy it more. Even though the differences disappear in blind taste tests. But in our world (high end audio) sighted tests are said to not create expectations, and hence are completely valid for determining the quality of a component.

I guess audiophiles are a lot smarter than wine connoisseurs!!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Definitively definite. It's kind of like trusting your ears, believing in things like sighted bias and placebo effect...no, wait a minute...there's tons of scientific evidence supporting the reality of sighted bias and placebo effect...I guess it's not much like trusting your ears at all.

Tim

Tell us Tim. How do you choose a musical instrument? Do you do DBT tests and measure it's FR?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Innuendos, veiled comments with an agenda, etc. Groundhog Day anyone?

It's threads and subsequent comments above that caused me to stop posting on this website a year or so ago. I know of others that feel the same and no longer post.

Why does this continue to happen? It's not healthy and counterproductive to the best interests of this site. Please grow up.

Just a thought.

GG

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Bias is only one factor to be accounted for.. Not even

The most important one..

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
It's just one man's opinion that has little real thought behind it. It would be funny though if wine snobs couldn't tell the difference between red and white wines.

Tell us Tim. How do you choose a musical instrument? Do you do DBT tests and measure it's FR?

No I play them and listen to them and do not try to deny that I am as influenced by the look and feel of them as I am by the sound.

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
No I play them and listen to them and do not try to deny that I am as influenced by the look and feel of them as I am by the sound.

Tim

That's about as honest an answer as I've read! Yes, you can call me biased as well!:)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
There is nothing wrong about being biased. Everyone is but some refuse to admit it.

Surely. Also some pretend to transmute their mundane knowledge about bias in audio knowledge. IMHO, when someone needs to use wine analogies to write about the problem of bias in sound reproduction it usually just means he is only superficially and most probably incorrectly addressing the issue.

Happily in real life most people manage to get a reasonable equilibrium between those conflicting needs - the presence of bias and the need to make choices in meaningful conditions.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Surely. Also some pretend to transmute their mundane knowledge about bias in audio knowledge. IMHO, when someone needs to use wine analogies to write about the problem of bias in sound reproduction it usually just means he is only superficially and most probably incorrectly addressing the issue.

Happily in real life most people manage to get a reasonable equilibrium between those conflicting needs - the presence of bias and the need to make choices in meaningful conditions.

Unless you are biased against making those type of decisions.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
When I read the thread title "Placebo Audio Thought Piece", I thought that Placebo Audio was the name of a high-end audio company. It was worth a laugh.

As I read the tittle in a careless way I also was expecting something about Placette Audio http://www.placetteaudio.com/. ;) They manufacture great line stages, passive and active.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Yes no one is bothered by their own bias provided they even acknowledge it as such. Usually they think they are right. It is the other person's bias offered in support of a conclusion they disagree with that pi
sses them off.

He..

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing