Where to send your headblocks for service - short but good.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
After licking my chops from the long and winding "negative" post about poor customer service on the other thread, I received a call from John French of the JRF Magnetics. John has about ten of my headblocks he is relapping, replacing, and rechecking. It started with a need to send a headblock out for his service and after short discussion, I ended up sending him all of my Studer headblocks for his magic.

I knew he was on a vacation last couple of weeks and didn't expect anything back any sooner. He called me and we talked about how he stayed home to have some drinks and relaxation for his vacation. I told him I wish I could get a vacation like that where I don't have to be on an airplane, check into a hotel, and eat out every day... Well, he told me he is done with all of the Studer A80, A820, and A810 headblocks but had to order the Flux Extended repro head for one of the headblocks. He expects it to be delivered to his place on next Tuesday and I should expect the whole shipment a week later.

In discussing the work and testing he had done to the various heads, he had some concerns about one of the A810 headblocks that the heads had worn too far down, it looked good after relapping but he didn't think it was as good as it should have been. I kind of knew the situation before I sent it and was appriciative of his honest assesment. Then, he asked me if I had other heads I can send to him so that he can replace the suspec head with it. He could have easily replaced the the heads from his stock and charge me for it. A new Studer repro head cost about $700 each.

So, I will be sending a box of Saki heads to John. He will be sorting them out and replacing the badly worn head from what I will be sending.

Now, that's a customer service! He could have made a lot more money selling me the new heads than to rummage through the heads I would send him.

I just hope John would stay in business for a long, long time (at least until we get all of our tape recorder heads reconditioned and checked by him :).

Ki

Last edited:
i can't believe the attention to detail that gets put into shipping your heads back! I got 2 Studer headblocks back from him a few months ago and you would have though the packaging was for fine china! With head reports and full calibration schematics, manufacturers should take note in this.

Fortunately for every horror story there is one about a competent professional who went beyond the call of duty. Sometimes for free.

John is the best and such a pleasure to deal with. I have a current project that John will do the headstack for me. I had a question about a transport and the headstack, John grabbed a headstack that he happen to have and while I was on the phone with him he walked down two flights of stairs to where the transport was located. He then took measure of the headstack and capstan placement and informed me that he could do what I wanted. I was really impressed and John will get all my business.

Hi you all,

John French is one of the best in what he does. I had 3 head blocks there, 2 x B77 and one for C270 (REVOX). They all came back perfect and I only put them back on my machine. I am preparing now another set of 3 pcs to send him. I am located in Australia and I am lucky discovering him via THE TAPE PROJECT FORUM. He is specialized in multitrack heads as his website says.
You have a look at: http://www.jrfmagnetics.com. There is a small company in New Jersey but with huge achievements. Lets hope that he will be a while around so we can keep our machines in good condition.
Eugen

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing