MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Deleted

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Looks like the only thing missing are ARC speakers!

They are. Do you really think ARC had a choice on what speakers to use? ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Aida's sound great with the REF750's - they love power. Although I managed to operate them with the REF150 in a middle size room, I was always feeling they would be happier with more powerful amplifiers. If it was not for the heat and number of tubes I would not hesitate - IMHO compared to other super amplifiers the REF750 is a bargain.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
The Aida's sound great with the REF750's - they love power. Although I managed to operate them with the REF150 in a middle size room, I was always feeling they would be happier with more powerful amplifiers. If it was not for the heat and number of tubes I would not hesitate - IMHO compared to other super amplifiers the REF750 is a bargain.

$55K a "bargain," LOL.

You should have tried a pair of Sanders Magtech Monos, 2K watts into your Aida's 4 ohm load for just $11K before you gave up on them.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Wow, that carpet...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Wow, that carpet...

Yeah, it's a little too busy for me. The good news is that if you got drunk and puked on it, it might not show up.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I think this is Milan.

VFA

May 24, 2015
Miles I have an old VT 200 amplifier. I called audio research to see if I could switch out the tubes to KT 150s. They say no. Do you knowif this is really possible or not

VFA

May 24, 2015
Anyone know if the VT 200 could accomidate the new KT 150 tubes in place of the 120's

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Why wouldn't you believe ARC? Without rebiasing you won't get significant (if any) extra power. Heater current is higher and you would need to increase plate current; I didn't look closely enough at the datasheets to see if the same output transformer would work assuming it can handle the extra plate current. No idea how much margin is in the ARC's design so I would tend to follow their advice.

VFA

May 24, 2015
I would have the tubes re biased. Arc is selling new amplifiers with the KT 150. It behooves them to sell a new amplifier rather than have someone tube roll. Plus they may simply be saying that they have not tested the unit and don't plan to test the unit with these tubes. I still don't get why you can not use them. Some of your points may be the answer I just don't know.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
One thing for sure, the KT150 is much larger than the KT120. Just looking at the innards of a VT200 over at arcdb.ws I would think you'd have a hell of a time fitting KT150s into that space. Those KT150 footballs are pretty damn big.
KT Tube sizes.jpg KT Tube sizes2.jpg

VFA

May 24, 2015
No I've changed tubes three times and last two times KT 120. Placed by local ARC technician

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing