Reference tapemachine

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I need to get my A 80 completely refurbished , it is working but thats just about it , the stock audio cards in the B 62 and the A 80 are the same by the way , i dont know about the A 80 RC mk 2

mine are done with mods from Todor Dimitrov @ Mastertapesoundlab in Greece
sounds fabulous, actually better than tubed SPUD second stage replacement
have disconnected all unneccessary functions and taken out cards not in use
new custom stabilizer card under production and ships in 2 weeks
all bearings ships this week
what a voyage!......:cool:
best
Leif

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Last edited:
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I might buy some extra cards and send them some time in the future , got the pot metersworking 100 % with some simple contactspray which is a tapemachine neccesity

What format should the ref have ,...... here 2 channel 1 inch for maximum resolution at 45 ips the tape lasts only 22 min

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuJ9yNFVIFM

was that the lvl pots on the reprocard?
I have a fault with my channel 2 card...it wont reach full lvl on fast..changed Q11 and 12 but didnt help..looked for faults on pcb or wrong R values, but havent found source yet
will pick up spare repro pcb same version from France on Postal office tonight...
best
Leif

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
No it was the pot meter on the meterbridge , i sprayed any switch/ potmeter i could find , incl the card connections it sounds a lot better since the oxide is gone , but still the B 62 sounds more punchy ,the A 80 more laid back /relaxed , it could be the heads as i switched the audiocards of the machines

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
pardon me for saying, but the meter bridges ruins the sound, by adding miles of unnecessary cabling and connectors
part of the mastertapesoundlabmods are focusing on shortening the signal path and avoiding detours via degrading functions, and believe me, it makes a big difference
best
Leif

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
pardon me for saying, but the meter bridges ruins the sound, by adding miles of unnecessary cabling and connectors
part of the mastertapesoundlabmods are focusing on shortening the signal path and avoiding detours via degrading functions, and believe me, it makes a big difference
best
Leif

Yes, bypassing the meter bridge or just going directly out from the heads to an external pre will yield the best results.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
For simple replay sure , but if you want to record accurately and use the MRL testtape you need a meter bridge , when i am talking reference tapemachine i was aiming at a new design not a hotrodded studer which mine is surely not.
Using sota potmeters would be the first thing what could be updated , which i am sure already is done in the aftermarket tape pre s

More machines : http://museumofmagneticsoundrecording.org/ManufacturersStephens.html

Last edited:

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
I have a pair of A820-2CH decks with four headstacks...two 1/2" and two 1/4" (one DIN + one NAB).
I wanted to maintain record AND reproduce capability for both A820's as opposed to a dedicated repro deck and dedicated record deck.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
btw reg the VUs on RC :
they can be wired to be in when recording and out when reproducing...checked with my tech....:cool:

best
Leif

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Nice machine got my stopbutton fixed on the A 80 and lubricated some bearings the potmeters are fine only thing that needs to be fixed is the lighting of the VU meters and the time counter , my next hifi purchase will probably be a Telefunken M20 or M 21 or M 15 1/4 or half inch dont know yet , i would like to have a A 820 but they are high $$ machines , and there isnt even one for sale around here , but that transport is just beautifull ;)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I know i ve seen it , i did mention " around here ":D if that euro ****currency would pick up some speed it would be great .
The telefunkens dont have such a nice transport but they are supposed to be really nice sounding as well , sixties sound !!!!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Why / where analogue beats digital 7: 00 in the vid ( the cut up waveform of digital signal ) versus the more continous of the R2R analogue ( the wider the tape per channel and the greater the speed ,will add more resolution , more magnetised particles ) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BFWvku7jxs

Even the cheap basf per 528 broadcast tapes sound great got them from a broadcast agency.
Mr paravicini talked about building a 88.2 kHz /sec CD player versus the "standard " 44.1 kHz / sec of CD

Last edited:

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
That studio has quite a trackrecord artist wise...
Indeed! It does :D When I have more time to write -- I'll convey an experience I had there...I had NO IDEA what I had walked into.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
For simple replay sure , but if you want to record accurately and use the MRL testtape you need a meter bridge , when i am talking reference tapemachine i was aiming at a new design not a hotrodded studer which mine is surely not.
Using sota potmeters would be the first thing what could be updated , which i am sure already is done in the aftermarket tape pre s

More machines : http://museumofmagneticsoundrecording.org/ManufacturersStephens.html

Thanks for that great link
:cool:

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Hows that ARIA repro amp compared to Doshi and the Bottlehead?
anyone tried the Tubeguru repros from Hungary? makes nice SE amps and pres....ex Siemens guy I think
quite a few of his amps in Norway
very well built !
even have one combined repro and record
http://www.tubeguru.eu/preamps-/
best
Leif

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The schematic is based on the C 37 which is promising:

http://www.tubeguru.eu/preamps-/tube-tape-playing-preamplif-2/

as copied:

TUBE PLAYING PREAMPLIFIER
with TOP quality Tube Power Supply
-this is the secret of the 100% quiet Preamplifier-
for Reel to Reel Player Wire To Wire
Good for all NAGRA Studer / Revox
& japanese tape players
connecting to direct playing head

the schematic is basing of the STUDER C37

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing