Reference tapemachine

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
why do you suppose this a80rc mk ii is listed at $90,250? (even if it is based on an almost unused a80 and comes with a new outboard power supply and special mark levinson electronics?)

http://m.ebay.com/itm/atae-classic-...3d201407971072&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

is fred thal's shro (single head repro only) that unique, and that superior to jrf and other replacement heads?

Is anyone personally familiar with atae's machines, and how they sound versus other refurbished a80s?

That deck with the ML electronics is pretty special and knowing this co...restored to perfection. That said if I went the Studer route...A80 RC mk2 rehabbed and new Doshi for less than a 1/3 the price. Now the question is...are the Doshi electronics superior at reproduction compared to the old Cello SS electronics ? My guess....yes.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
That deck with the ML electronics is pretty special and knowing this co...restored to perfection. That said if I went the Studer route...A80 RC mk2 rehabbed and new Doshi for less than a 1/3 the price. Now the question is...are the Doshi electronics superior at reproduction compared to the old Cello SS electronics ? My guess....yes.

+1

I'm refurbing yet another Studer A80RC MkII if anyone is interested

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Why do you suppose this A80RC Mk II is listed at $90,250? (even if it is based on an almost unused A80 and comes with a new outboard power supply and special Mark Levinson electronics?)

http://m.ebay.com/itm/ATAE-CLASSIC-...3D201407971072&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

Is Fred Thal's SHRO (single head repro only) that unique, and that superior to JRF and other replacement heads?

Is anyone personally familiar with ATAE's machines, and how they sound versus other refurbished A80s?

People reading the Studer list and Fred Thal posts will understand why some people accept to pay such an amount for this A80. These rebuilt machines should represent the best of a Studer machine, respecting all the original intentions of their designers and they will perform faultless for a long time, most probably carrying a long time warranty. They will not depend on tube quality or such similar issues - they will probably sound the same after many years of use. Fred Thal is fanatical about the Studer's - and he knows a lot about them.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway

theyre really picked apart and REBUILT, which can be something totally different
I have reason to believe that a few things has happened since the late 70s, and that recent updated Studer repro and rec boards can surpas the performance of the Cello/ML electronics
Todor Dimitrov of MTSL in Thessalopniki, Greece also make some fab custom stab cards, which make all the difference in the world.......I should know; I have them in both my A80R and RC VU

jdza

May 3, 2010
theyre really picked apart and REBUILT, which can be something totally different
I have reason to believe that a few things has happened since the late 70s, and that recent updated Studer repro and rec boards can surpas the performance of the Cello/ML electronics
Todor Dimitrov of MTSL in Thessalopniki, Greece also make some fab custom stab cards, which make all the difference in the world.......I should know; I have them in both my A80R and RC VU

If I understand you correctly,you are a very fortunate man to have heard the ML5,Cello and MTSL against each other! All on A80 or Cello with A 820? Same system?

IF Ki can survive the onslaught and get the MR70 electronics to work with an A820 transport ,I would suggest that all discussions on "What's best in tape replay" cease immediately! Unless John Curl enters stage left.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
People reading the Studer list and Fred Thal posts will understand why some people accept to pay such an amount for this A80. These rebuilt machines should represent the best of a Studer machine, respecting all the original intentions of their designers and they will perform faultless for a long time, most probably carrying a long time warranty. They will not depend on tube quality or such similar issues - they will probably sound the same after many years of use. Fred Thal is fanatical about the Studer's - and he knows a lot about them.

as far as Fred Thal and the positive side of that; Fred had my A-820 for 8 months in 2007-2008 for refurbishing, and since I got it back from him it has been 100% perfect....and he has always treated me fine. he does know him some Studer. while he's not a fan of audiophiles, he likes our money just fine. I hope he gets his $90k for his A80.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
If I understand you correctly,you are a very fortunate man to have heard the ML5,Cello and MTSL against each other! All on A80 or Cello with A 820? Same system?

IF Ki can survive the onslaught and get the MR70 electronics to work with an A820 transport ,I would suggest that all discussions on "What's best in tape replay" cease immediately! Unless John Curl enters stage left.

I didnt say that, but since I know someone I trust have extensive experience with different A80/ML-5 repro and stab psu solutions, "I have reason to believe", which is good enough for me...
how did JC enter the pic?
best
Leif

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I didnt say that, but since I know someone I trust have extensive experience with different A80/ML-5 repro and stab psu solutions, "I have reason to believe", which is good enough for me...
best
Leif

John Curl was involved in the early Mark Levinson---but I think he was gone from that by the time the ML5 Studer came along.

as far as the Cello circuits and the ML5, I think that was Tom Colangelo.

obviously my King Cello tape repro (that I use with my Studer's) circuit design owes much to Mr. Colangelo.

jdza

May 3, 2010
best
Leif

We went over this in 2013

From my post then:
I am a little confused.I always understood that the Mark Levinson ML5,like the later Cello tape amp, was designed by Tom Colangelo. The ML5 dates from 1981 which is after Curl's relationship with ML ended.The Mobile Fidelity Supermaster and Wilson Ultramaster was Studer A80RCs with audio electronics by John Curl.That old tape curmudgeon,Gordon Holt, considered these two plus Keith Johnson's machine to be the finest recorders ever built.

Curl was in a unique position amongst high end audio designers in that he actually worked at Ampex during the fruitful 1968 onwards period when ,amongst others ,the magnificent MM1000 saw the light of day.How wonderful it would be if he could be persuaded to re-enter the tape repro market! -3db at 45kHz on analogue tape. Ultramaster indeed!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Attachments

• a1.JPG
    a1.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 404

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
We went over this in 2013

From my post then:
I am a little confused.I always understood that the Mark Levinson ML5,like the later Cello tape amp, was designed by Tom Colangelo. The ML5 dates from 1981 which is after Curl's relationship with ML ended.The Mobile Fidelity Supermaster and Wilson Ultramaster was Studer A80RCs with audio electronics by John Curl.That old tape curmudgeon,Gordon Holt, considered these two plus Keith Johnson's machine to be the finest recorders ever built.

Curl was in a unique position amongst high end audio designers in that he actually worked at Ampex during the fruitful 1968 onwards period when ,amongst others ,the magnificent MM1000 saw the light of day.How wonderful it would be if he could be persuaded to re-enter the tape repro market! -3db at 45kHz on analogue tape. Ultramaster indeed!

A short clip I recorded when I was doing transfers.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Last edited:

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
image.jpg
as far as Fred Thal and the positive side of that; Fred had my A-820 for 8 months in 2007-2008 for refurbishing, and since I got it back from him it has been 100% perfect....and he has always treated me fine. he does know him some Studer. while he's not a fan of audiophiles, he likes our money just fine. I hope he gets his $90k for his A80.

Yep, me too Mike, mine arrived last month...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 425

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Two of my Reference machines

Studer 1/2" and 1/4" with Doshi Audio tape pre's

[video]https://www.facebook.com/pugetsoundstudios/videos/vb.1151614308/10207677882442376/?type=3&theater[/video]

Bruce,

Just checked it out --> content not available :confused:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing