Otari MX-5050 BII

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have an MX5050. It sounds better stock than a Technics 1500 stock. It's a pretty reliable machine.

One thing I've learned from this and the reading I've done is that the Otari MX's are fine machines, so my search continues. Soon enough I'll get lucky ...I usually always do.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Convinced of what? I'm not telling you or anyone else that 7 1/2 ips tapes are world beaters in sound quality. All I'm saying is that the tapes made from a really good sounding master will still sound really good. Don't be a Debbie Downer.
Just trying to introduce a reality check here, call it a downer if you want (reality checks often are). John has already indicated that his finances are limited, and it's hard to see how open reel tape has much to offer him. 7.5 ips needle drops aren't going to sound anywhere near as good as 24/96 or DSD from a Tascam, for instance, and blank tape is pretty expensive. Likewise, pre-recorded tapes are very expensive and except for the Tape Project have a very limited repertoire which is mostly obscure to boot. Jonathon's tapes are the exception to this rule of thumb.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Just trying to introduce a reality check here, call it a downer if you want (reality checks often are). John has already indicated that his finances are limited, and it's hard to see how open reel tape has much to offer him. 7.5 ips needle drops aren't going to sound anywhere near as good as 24/96 or DSD from a Tascam, for instance, and blank tape is pretty expensive. Likewise, pre-recorded tapes are very expensive and except for the Tape Project have a very limited repertoire which is mostly obscure to boot. Jonathon's tapes are the exception to this rule of thumb.

If John buys the 5050, he can make 15 ips tapes if he so chooses and they will sound damn good.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
For less than 500 I doubt John will go wrong with all the usual caveats and he can play whatever tapes he wants. Nobody needs to spend a fortune here,only guys like me do,but then I just don't play tape with mine. Go for it John!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I've heard excellent things about that Korg unit, but I respectfully have no interest in pursuing such an avenue. To me digital shall remain on my PC which is not used for high-quality playback, but instead more for background.

John,

I really understand you! :cool: But in order to be one more happy reel to reel owner you should be very careful when buying a machine. Look for the help of someone who really understands about them or you can trust. Some years ago, when the Tapeproject people started supporting the MX 5050's I was interested in them, but 95% of the machines offered for sale in the usual sites were in poor condition - they would need expensive service.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Thanks, Bruce. That pretty much confirms my premise, especially if The Tape Project stops.

What makes you say that? Paul Stubblebine flew across the country to promote it only a few months ago. From everything I have garnered talking to the people involved they are temporarily stalled to work out some internal matters. This isn't top secret knowledge, if you're interested in 2-track 15 ips give them a call, they are happy to discuss it. I'm not getting into RTR with the intent to play any 4-track tapes. I agree that if you want to make and listen to needle drops digital is the way to go given how good the converters are and NOS or current production tape is not cheap.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
If John buys the 5050, he can make 15 ips tapes if he so chooses and they will sound damn good.
Just sharing my experience and opinions, as is everyone else. I got my first reel deck in 1967 and have had more than a dozen since; my first (of several) PCM/VHS setup in '84 and my first (of several) DAT in '92 and have done a ton of home and field recording. I used to record my Mahler symphony LP's to tape so I wouldn't have to play 4 record sides :p The capabilities of the Otari (a friend has his in the shop right now getting new heads and servicing) are right up my alley and John was asking for advice.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

I appreciate the input Robert, I really do. And you're not wrong, but I'm going into this with a different set of values. I view having a R2R as a fun thing, and not so much about the quality as the hands-on experience I'm going to have with it. I certainly wouldn't view it as the ultimate playback source in my case as I know that would take much more money than I have available, but for a reasonable sum I could enjoy something that I'd like to explore.

Right you are Mark!! And one of my conditions for buying whatever R2R comes across is that I have the ability to play/record at 15ips. Additionally, I've heard one of Ed Pong's Master Tapes and I've been to one of his Poolside Concerts and I'd love to one day buy one of his tapes. Not now, but if/when the time comes. Something like the Otari would allow me to do that.

For less than 500 I doubt John will go wrong with all the usual caveats and he can play whatever tapes he wants. Nobody needs to spend a fortune here,only guys like me do,but then I just don't play tape with mine. Go for it John!

Thanks Roger! And I will.

I just want to have some fun!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
What makes you say that? Paul Stubblebine flew across the country to promote it only a few months ago. From everything I have garnered talking to the people involved they are temporarily stalled to work out some internal matters...

I really hope you are right because even if their product isn't practical for me at this time I respect it and the work they have done. However... I think we all know that "temporarily stalled to work out some internal matters" has often been a prelude to collapse. No reason otherwise (except their notoriously slow order filling in the best of times) to suspect problems.

Perhaps I should add that I'm far more likely to send one of my Technics off to J-corder and buy a Bottlehead to go with it than I am to get a decent new LP playback system; in fact if there were a little better selection and pricing of software I'd do it today.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John,

I really understand you! :cool: But in order to be one more happy reel to reel owner you should be very careful when buying a machine. Look for the help of someone who really understands about them or you can trust. Some years ago, when the Tapeproject people started supporting the MX 5050's I was interested in them, but 95% of the machines offered for sale in the usual sites were in poor condition - they would need expensive service.

Hello Micro - I have already been in contact with Ed Pong's tech guy, Roger Ginsley of Tekx Electronics (he services Studer in Canada), so I have people locally that I can turn to. But I also have you guys for support!

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I really hope you are right because even if their product isn't practical for me at this time I respect it and the work they have done. However... I think we all know that "temporarily stalled to work out some internal matters" has often been a prelude to collapse. No reason otherwise (except their notoriously slow order filling in the best of times) to suspect problems.

Perhaps I should add that I'm far more likely to send one of my Technics off to J-corder and buy a Bottlehead to go with it than I am to get a decent new LP playback system; in fact if there were a little better selection and pricing of software I'd do it today.

To summarize they want to work on getting caught up dubbing their current catalog of tapes. I think as most TP subscribers know they are not the fastest at getting albums out to people, this is the 'internal issue' issue they're trying to solve. The demand has increased with other companies starting to offer master tape dubs, and more people getting into RTR.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Here's my Otari. It's a little bit different in the configuration that you mostly see.

photo.JPG

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Are those the stock electronics?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Oh, didn't realize it was show and tell time :). Here is ours:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hello Micro - I have already been in contact with Ed Pong's tech guy, Roger Ginsley of Tekx Electronics (he services Studer in Canada), so I have people locally that I can turn to. But I also have you guys for support!

Thanks for posting the details about Tekxelectronics - they seem to be very knowledgeable people. I could see in their site that they own the famous Studer gauge blocks for head block alignment. It is one of the best kept Studer mysteries - I have read a few times about them, but could never find documentation or a simple picture of them!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing