Incredible Stillpoints

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
I have been burning in my Magico S5s now for 2 1/2 weeks, and happened to insert Stillpoint minis under the MacBook Pro, and Ultra SS (4) under the Spectral 15SS preamp. (I ordered from Music Direct, as they will give a 30 money back if not happy) I was not prepared for the change that took place. Really, if you haven't tried these things, you owe it to yourself to give them a try. Soundstage is deeper, wider, more precise, detail is much improved, background is more black. Cymbals have more shimmer, detail is improved but still natural, bass notes are more distinct. They are the Audiophile's version of crack. Looks like a few more orders will be coming down the pike. No wonder they offer a money back deal if not happy.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
ha ha. very true, Stillpoints are excellent.

don't try them under your speakers as they will not leave :D

Krelle

Aug 5, 2013
Stockholm Sweden
I agree with you all. I have stillpoints mini to My preamplifier and drive and they are really good. I live in Sweden and they are rediciliusly expensive here, I buy them from other countries. I have never tried under my speakers but Im curius about how the ultra ss will work. Next I Will buy mini to My weiss-dac.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I tried to convince Nike they should use them in their trainers but they were not impressed :)
Cheers
Orb

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Essential if you have the means to afford them and, I suppose, the system to match. I'll have to do without and try my best at reducing vibration with accessories for the common man. I have no doubt they are a worthwhile addition however.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
If you wish to read more, check out the thread here called "Stillpoints Ultra 5s and Wilson X1/Grand Slamms".

As for me, I agree!!! Completely! I have Ultra 5s under: Speakers, Sub, Power Conditioner, Amp, Transport PSU and Transport.

Note: I tried several different ways to have them under my source/signal components (Preamp and DAC) and found they shaved 'weight' off the notes of piano from treble thru upper bass. I was very surprised and even the Distributor came out and concurred. I have HRS M3/Nimbus Couplers under those components now.

In the end, even under my Power Condition and Transport PSU, I finally concluded by having HRS Nimbus Couplers on TOP of the Ultra 5s and found this to give me back all the weight from treble until [barely] the upper bass...and I am done. In fact, just finished an exhaustive set of experiments/setup over the last 3 weeks. I am now [finally!] back to enjoying and listening. But thanks to the Ultra 5s, listening to significantly more detail, delineation and subtle cues/nuances. Thanks to the HRS, listening to tonal weight and even tones across the spectrum.

Its a nice contribution. Stillpoints are incredibly addictive!!

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Has anyone out there place Ultras SS or 5s under a normal rack i.e. Salamander, and if so, what was the result. It could possibly be the best ROI if you got 85-95% of results as opposed to placing under each component. Also, what gives the best result- placing under components or placing under speakers-? anyone tried and have info?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Has anyone out there place Ultras SS or 5s under a normal rack i.e. Salamander, and if so, what was the result. It could possibly be the best ROI if you got 85-95% of results as opposed to placing under each component. Also, what gives the best result- placing under components or placing under speakers-? anyone tried and have info?

I think the Ultra 5s are amazing under speakers...I have them under the Wilsons and the Velodyne...it was how they were originally designed. They work very very well under components...in my own experience, the close you get to the component, the better the effects of your isolation. Because, of course, the vibration that can happen in between the component and your rack (if your Ultras are under the rack)...still exists.

I have not quantified the 'savings' of one set under rack vs under one component. It also depends of course on the quality of your rack...HRS MXR vs thin plywood. The one thing for sure is that the rack setup benefits all components somewhat...whereas dedicated ultras to one component only help that one component. That is why they often suggest with the power conditioner first...even though intuitively you'd think that is not where the sound would change much. in my case, It really did. YMMV.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The power conditioner first? Did you try this and got better results than under a source component?

Yes, I was a complete skeptic and actually ask the Dealer not to bother the first 2 times he came over (first time for speakers and 2nd time for subwoofer). He asked the third time to come over and try. quite a shock.)

Every system is different...so you really need to try. Again, if you check out the other thread...you will see (unlike 99% of every Stillpoints user out there), I have found a 'slight flaw' in my own system using the magnificent Ultra 5s in signal components. So you really should try...but I can definitely it is WORTH a try. Good luck and feel free to keep us posted!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Well..as some know I brought some Stillpoints from RMAF for a try (not the TOTL but pretty good sized ones for my Avalons) and after some issues while trying to explain the airport security officials about my "bullet-shaped" (their words) steel pieces I installed them all a day after arrival from Denver.

...my jaw is on the floor!

Reactions: johndoe21ro

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well..as some know I brought some Stillpoints from RMAF for a try (not the TOTL but pretty good sized ones for my Avalons) and after some issues while trying to explain the airport security officials about my "bullet-shaped" (their words) steel pieces I installed them all a day after arrival from Denver.

...my jaw is on the floor!

Congrats!!! when you get time to articulate the differences, that might be helpful to many here.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
had anybody taken a look inside the unit to verify what's involved and get a sense how it work. I was looking at the website but of course they won't tell you everything. I was trying to imagine - the top part (which makes contact with your speaker or equipment is decoupled from the bottom part and sitting on a bearing sitting on top of 5 or 6 bearings sitting on a cup?

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
I put Ultra V's under my Alexias and feel they should be mandatory !

Bruce,

Are the Ultra V's screwed into the bottoms of your Alexias?

The reason I ask is, the Ultra V's threaded hole is 1/4"-20 and WA's spike hole is 3/8"-16.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce,

Are the Ultra V's screwed into the bottoms of your Alexias?

The reason I ask is, the Ultra V's threaded hole is 1/4"-20 and WA's spike hole is 3/8"-16.

They are screwed in. Stillpoints makes a Wilson adapter.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
had anybody taken a look inside the unit to verify what's involved and get a sense how it work. I was looking at the website but of course they won't tell you everything. I was trying to imagine - the top part (which makes contact with your speaker or equipment is decoupled from the bottom part and sitting on a bearing sitting on top of 5 or 6 bearings sitting on a cup?

I think the rough math is that the steel top then couples to the steel botton via the 5 ceramic balls inside...somehow translating the vibration into heat? and thereby 'absorbing' some amounts of vibration and eliminating it via conversion to heat. That's the non-techie's understanding of the copywriting from the various websites.

All I know is...they work!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
They are screwed in. Stillpoints makes a Wilson adapter.

In fact, I think Stillpoints have made a point (pardon the pun) of making adaptors for nearly every speaker maker out there so that various different owners can use the Stillpoints with their speakers.

Like Bruce, we used the Stillpoints adaptors for Wilson speakers with my X1s and they worked great. Truth be told, I kinda wish the adaptors were possibly a bit longer but everything worked out fine thanks to the Stillpoints distributor who personally came to install.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing