Preference vs. audibility - please keep them separate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

j_j

Jun 25, 2013
In the Rain
home.comcast.net
Preference is whatever you like. It's your preference. End of discussion. Nobody gets to care about your preference one way or another unless it passes the tip of their nose. Establish your preference in any way you PREFER. Period. Your preference is yours, only yours, and nobody else's. You don't have any more right to complain about theirs than they have to complain about yours, so be done with it.

Audibility is a scientific argument, and it must be resolved scientifically. This means DBT's, be they ABX, self-training, or whatever. There are many methods, all of which are valid for their intended uses.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Aren't preferences based on audibility to the person with the preference?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Preference is whatever you like. It's your preference. End of discussion. Nobody gets to care about your preference one way or another unless it passes the tip of their nose. Establish your preference in any way you PREFER. Period. Your preference is yours, only yours, and nobody else's. You don't have any more right to complain about theirs than they have to complain about yours, so be done with it.

Audibility is a scientific argument, and it must be resolved scientifically. This means DBT's, be they ABX, self-training, or whatever. There are many methods, all of which are valid for their intended uses.

Sorry but it is not end of discussion - it is just a start. You are addressing individual preference and completely forgetting about collective preference - obtained analyzing statistically the individual preferences. Then preference can be studied scientifically, and is no more only an individual characteristic. IMHO, it is this type of preference we many times implicitly address in this forum - we do not spend our time just debating a random individually owned entity. We express our individual preferences and compare them with other groups preference, surely most of the time using methods that are not scientific. ;)

Concerning the second part of your post, it would be very nice to have someone who could address the "self-training, or whatever". Audiophile culture on audibility is usually limited to a few audio challenges that have been reported in old audio magazines - journals of Psychoacoustics and AES publications are not of free access.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Micro, why always do you bring this up. Do you read this forum, a certain percentage here have a collectvie preference for vinyl, and a certain percentage here have a collective preference for digital, and a certain percentage here dont care one way or the other what the format is in, they listen to either one. A certain percentage here have a collective preference for tubes, a certain percentage here have a collective preference for solid state, a certain percentage here have a perefence for both tubes and solid state, a collective preference for class a, push pull, class d, old stuff, new stuff, tapes, different cartridges etc blah blah. There is your collective preference. Or are you talking something else again that is lost in the translation?

Tom,
No, it was not lost in translation, but after reading your strange post, I do not hope you will understand ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If you want to keep them separate why are you bringing them up in the same thread?

It's a loaded topic.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
If you want to keep them separate why are you bringing them up in the same thread?

It's a loaded topic.

Because this site is populated with people who belong on wreck.high-end.com. Same ABX/DBT BS that went on over there for years. Only it's here and why many sites have had to make their sites DBT free. Which actually I thought this site was declared at the outset IIRC.

What the hell has happened to talking about high-end audio equipment here?????

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Because this site is populated with people who belong on wreck.high-end.com. Same ABX/DBT BS that went on over there for years. Only it's here and why many sites have had to make their sites DBT free. Which actually I thought this site was declared at the outset IIRC.

And music! Seems like nary a thought is given to that. ...

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
Preference is whatever you like ... Audibility is a scientific argument, and it must be resolved scientifically.

Agreed fully. Nobody can tell you what you like. But I'll add a second "science" issue in addition to audibility, and that's accuracy. Whether one prefers accuracy or not, this too can be measured and determined for certain.

--Ethan

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Create a new thread and talk about them!

You know how many threads have been started about music Amir? Look it up. No one gives a damn. It's all about tech-specs to the 'nth degree that isn't even audible.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You know how many threads have been started about music Amir? Look it up. No one gives a damn. It's all about tech-specs to the 'nth degree that isn't even audible.
It is a natural thing. Go to a photography forum and you find the gear threads far more popular than what pictures people take with them. I am not shameful about it :). I enjoy talking about the gear. It is the hobby within the hobby. That said, I think we have reasonable amount of threads about music. "What's spinning tonight" is one.

I have taken a lot of management/employee training classes. The best lesson I learned in them was this: "when you don't like what the group is doing, think of what you can do different! You can't change other people but can change what you do instantly." Hence my advice to Myles. And same here. Please create a new topic on music right now and don't worry about what is going on in this thread.

BTW, I plan to write a couple of new movie reviews.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Create a new thread and talk about them!

Why Amir? The same DBT/digital people will just crap all over it like has been going on here as of late.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

Yet you always find these threads and knock around in them for pages and pages, right along with the rest of us, Myles. Go to the top of the page, click "new posts." You'll find plenty of gear threads.

Tim

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It is a natural thing. Go to a photography forum and you find the gear threads far more popular than what pictures people take with them. I am not shameful about it :). I enjoy talking about the gear. It is the hobby within the hobby. That said, I think we have reasonable amount of threads about music. "What's spinning tonight" is one.

I have taken a lot of management/employee training classes. The best lesson I learned in them was this: "when you don't like what the group is doing, think of what you can do different! You can't change other people but can change what you do instantly." Hence my advice to Myles. And same here. Please create a new topic on music right now and don't worry about what is going on in this thread.

BTW, I plan to write a couple of new movie reviews.

I've started plenty of threads in the music section, plus given my opinion or a brief review. Lots of visits, but not one comment. One of 20 might invoke some interest. I wonder if most here even know where the Music section is?

I read almost everything on here and have learned a lot, and I'm not knocking the expertise/opinion of many of our fine members, but man......it's a bit much to handle at times.

I look forward to reading your reviews Amir. Hopefully they'll be better received than the reviews in the music section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing