When visuals matter

You remind me of high school when guys said they bought/read Playboy for the editorials.

All Blurays have subtitles in a selection of languages.

Unfortunately CDs and LPs don't. None that accompany the music in time anyway.

Playboy had Editorials? :D

- 'Oblivion' on Blu-ray (you know, with Tom Cruise & Olga Kurylenko) has a audio track only (Isolated Music Score "M83" - 24-bit/96hHz Dolby TrueHD 5.1 surround) for the Music (soundtrack) and all, as one of the included special features. ...I wish all Blu-ray movies would include this feature.

- 'Amadeus' too, but only on DVD. But! The Blu-ray Director's Cut (DigiBook) of 'Amadeus' includes an hour-long CD.
...With great music of Mozart of course, and more.

- Same for 'The Pianist' - Limited Soundtrack Edition, the three-disc set on DVD. ...It has a music only CD, with great music of Chopin.

- 'Dark City' also, on DVD. It has an isolated music score in 2.0 Stereo sound.

...And few more flicks like that, both on Blu and DVD. ...New Line studios (Warner Bros' little sister) used to do that before with quite a few of their DVD titles.
But true, you can simply turn off your display with any visual material (BD or/& DVD), and only listen to the musical score (audio soundtrack with all the effects, and noises from the jungle; wind, birds, rain, insects, ...).
I was talking about Bluray music discs and, in particular, classical music discs, and not about movies. I do not watch movies more than once because I just rent them (and that should tell you something about my level of interest in them and the music on them). OTOH, I find that my interest in the video component of non-classical music discs is much greater. I suspect that this is because I find that the music is less than riveting but the personalities of the performers hold my attention.

Gawd awful.

Really??? No explanation should be needed.....

"Even though I love modern instrumental music, I found the CD quite boring and could not listen to it more than once. The synthesized background loop got to me immediately."

The only thing her producer is good at is producing crap sound in a trendy & slick video that people like. Gawd Awful

Last edited:
I was talking about Bluray music discs and, in particular, classical music discs, and not about movies. I do not watch movies more than once because I just rent them (and that should tell you something about my level of interest in them and the music on them).

OTOH, I find that my interest in the video component of non-classical music discs is much greater. I suspect that this is because I find that the music is less than riveting but the personalities of the performers hold my attention.

I knew all of that already Kal; I was simply saying. ...Like there are also other members here. :b
- We all (each one) have our own particular preferences regarding music, movies, audio, and video.

That's interesting.

Roger is referring to Amir's video from the original first post; the artist, the young girl, the violinist, the music, her music, the way it was recorded, the mix, the CD, and all that looping electronica/synthesizer jazz. ...I don't know her name exactly; she escaped my horizon .... :b

* She simply is not the type of music player who strikes any chord in my soul. ...Not at all.

Classical music is my bag, just like it is also for you Kal. ...Opera, Chorales, Orchestral, Chamber, etc.
I also very much enjoy Jazz (many various styles of Jazz, in particular from the ECM record music label), and Blues (there too, many type of Blues, in particular Acoustic more).

And of course I love some New Age music, and World (International) music of many genres; African, Argentina, Flamenco, Tango, and so much more.

But this thread is about the "visuals" emphasis superimposed over the music.
And we get that from Blu-ray discs, DVD discs, Youtube, and even music concerts broadcast(ed) on the regular tube (Pay TV from cable or satellite).

Me, I'm a Blu-ray man; strictly (99%), today. ...Visuals matter, a lot! ...It simply adds another layer, dimensional newer perspective and understanding deeper. ...With any type of music; and it don't have to be necessarily by seeing the musicians. ...Mountains with snow tops can do just fine in my book.

Last edited:
The video held my attention for about 10 seconds and then seemed to loop over over again with no creativity at all. The music held my attention for not much longer for the same kind of reason. Too repetitious.

Two of the best examples (maybe 3) of artists that have this discipline down are Peter Gabriel, Annie Lennox and Kate Bush. I can watch their videos or listen to the songs on their own with equal enjoyment. Marrying the two disciplines is an art unto itself and should not be attempted if you don't have the goods.

Roger is referring to Amir's video from the original first post; the artist, the young girl, the violinist, the music, her music, the way it was recorded, the mix, the CD, and all that looping electronica/synthesizer jazz. ...I don't know her name exactly; she escaped my horizon .... :b
Oh. He didn't say so nor did he in responding to my ???. How can one know?

Really??? No explanation should be needed.....

"Even though I love modern instrumental music,
I found the CD quite boring (the only CD in this thread from which Amir was referring to) and could not listen to it more than once. The synthesized background loop (only that video from the first post has that) got to me immediately."

The only thing her (implies female) producer is good at is producing crap sound in a trendy & slick video (that's the only video provided in this entire thread; from the first original post) that people like. Gawd Awful

Oh. He didn't say so nor did he in responding to my ???. How can one know?

Check his quote above yours Kal. That is his reply to your "????" ...It is very obvious to me that Roger is/was referring to her video and also her CD; the music content, and even her producer.
==> Again, from Amir's first original post (the video he provided, with the name of the young female musician 'violinist', and even the CD which I believe contains that particular tune).

Kal, did you read the first post? If you did then you'd know what Roger was talking about. ;)

* (Those are my own, for clarity purpose), right next after (preceding) few underlines (my own too).

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't mean to cause confusion. Bob is right,the only subject I commented on was the Amir's original post. I didn't even read the other posts.

Check his quote above yours Kal. That is his reply to your "????" ...It is very obvious to me that Roger is/was referring to her video and also her CD; the music content, and even her producer.
Since my post was the immediate antecedent of his and he made no specific reference, it is logical to assume it referred to mine. That's why I asked.

Kal, did you read the first post? If you did then you'd know what Roger was talking about. ;)
I did read it but there's no way that one can assume his reply referred to a post 23 posts above.

Sorry I didn't mean to cause confusion. Bob is right,the only subject I commented on was the Amir's original post. I didn't even read the other posts.
OK. All I was asking for was that clarity.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing