BALANCED v. UNBALANCED

pingu

Jul 19, 2013
Where does the majority come down on the virtues of balanced v. unbalanced amplification and cabling? I have a pair of Nestorovic NA-1's that have an old school balanced input. No Neutrik connectors just 2 "live" rca inputs and one ground rca per side. To use balanced would require a special cable with either a floating ground or one connected to the amplifier chassis, I think. But, the amp was clearly designed with balanced in mind. Although, in 1981, Neutrik was pretty much studio only gear. Only a couple of pre-amps had two rca outputs per side in inverse and regular phase so the real life application was probably not balanced for most people.

Anyway, I am interested in a very high end line stage that has no balanced output. I asked the manufacturer why not and he advised that balanced has the effect of canceling out even order distortion but leaving the odd order harmonics. More gain of course, but a thinner, less bloomy sound. This is, I am told, the result of electrical theory well beyond my pay grade. For that reason, he opted for single ended only.

Is there any consensus on this issue? Is balanced properly left to long microphone runs with single ended the right choice for home stereo?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
How a balanced design can cancel out even order distortion but still leave in odd order distortion is beyond my pay grade too. I still prefer balanced all things considered.

Here is a very high quality single-ended to true differential balanced (and vice versa) converter that I've used very successfully a number of times:

http://smcaudio.nfshost.com/product_flex-connect.php

pingu

Jul 19, 2013
How a balanced design can cancel out even order distortion but still leave in odd order distortion is beyond my pay grade too. I still prefer balanced all things considered.

Here is a very high quality single-ended to true differential balanced (and vice versa) converter that I've used very successfully a number of times:

Thank you Gary. Basically solves my problem!

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Wow. I had to read that twice. So you have a balanced cable, but at one end the two center signal conductors are connected to a pair of RCA connector center pins? Does it still work with nothing connected to either of the RCA shields? As it should.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Wow. I had to read that twice. So you have a balanced cable, but at one end the two center signal conductors are connected to a pair of RCA connector center pins? Does it still work with nothing connected to either of the RCA shields? As it should.

Not sure how the connections are made but I even have a fully balanced Valhalla cable that is RCA on one end and XLR on the other

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Anyway, I am interested in a very high end line stage that has no balanced output. I asked the manufacturer why not and he advised that balanced has the effect of canceling out even order distortion but leaving the odd order harmonics. More gain of course, but a thinner, less bloomy sound. This is, I am told, the result of electrical theory well beyond my pay grade. For that reason, he opted for single ended only.

Is there any consensus on this issue? Is balanced properly left to long microphone runs with single ended the right choice for home stereo?

I have heard lots of reasons why some companies choose to not make balanced amps or preamps, but the above claim about balanced circuits cancelling out even order harmonics and only leaving odd order harmonics is way out there in voodoo land. Most companies that don't use balanced circuits usually talk about the added complexity is not worth the cost for what they feel is little to no sonic gains.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Where does the majority come down on the virtues of balanced v. unbalanced amplification and cabling? I have a pair of Nestorovic NA-1's that have an old school balanced input. No Neutrik connectors just 2 "live" rca inputs and one ground rca per side. To use balanced would require a special cable with either a floating ground or one connected to the amplifier chassis, I think. But, the amp was clearly designed with balanced in mind. Although, in 1981, Neutrik was pretty much studio only gear. Only a couple of pre-amps had two rca outputs per side in inverse and regular phase so the real life application was probably not balanced for most people.

Hi, when you say you're interested in a "very high end line stage" can you give a little more criteria and what it might be matching up with? price ranges always help guide our recommendations also...

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Not sure how the connections are made but I even have a fully balanced Valhalla cable that is RCA on one end and XLR on the other

Depending on whether the RCA is input or output there are various constructions.

RCA in, XLR out:

1) generally the center pin of the RCA is connected to Pin 2 of the XLR, and the ground of RCA connected to both Pins 1 and 3.

2) sometimes, ground of RCA connected to Pin 3 and center pin of RCA connected to Pin 2 - this is useful in some preamps like the output-transformer coupled SMc Audio VRE-1.

3) for some European equipment (Burmester and FM Acoustics for example), pins 2 and 3 are reversed.

XLR in, RCA out:

1) generally Pin 1 and pin 3 of XLR shorted and then connected to ground of RCA, center pin of RCA connected to Pin 2 of XLR.

2) again, for some European equipment, center pin of RCA connected to pin 3 and then pin 1 and pin 2 shorted.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Depending on whether the RCA is input or output there are various constructions.

RCA in, XLR out:

1) generally the center pin of the RCA is connected to Pin 2 of the XLR, and the ground of RCA connected to both Pins 1 and 3.

2) sometimes, ground of RCA connected to Pin 3 and center pin of RCA connected to Pin 2 - this is useful in some preamps like the output-transformer coupled SMc Audio VRE-1.

3) for some European equipment (Burmester and FM Acoustics for example), pins 2 and 3 are reversed.

XLR in, RCA out:

1) generally Pin 1 and pin 3 of XLR shorted and then connected to ground of RCA, center pin of RCA connected to Pin 2 of XLR.

2) again, for some European equipment, center pin of RCA connected to pin 3 and then pin 1 and pin 2 shorted.

Gary is saying what I was going to say. In short (NPI), always check with the manufacturer about how to wire the balanced/SE connection! Not all companies follow the same formula and I think I ran into that years ago with Rowland and more recently with Bottlehead.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Gary

when Nick was here setting up his tape head preamp he made me a balanced RCA out to a balanced XLR in, in under 10 minutes

Yes - it isn't difficult if you know what you are doing - he probably made it the correct configuration for his tape head preamp. You need to know the equipment to build the right one.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have heard lots of reasons why some companies choose to not make balanced amps or preamps, but the above claim about balanced circuits cancelling out even order harmonics and only leaving odd order harmonics is way out there in voodoo land.

Mep,

Sorry it is not voodoo land, as any one having studied differential amplifiers will tell you. Reduced Even-Order Harmonic Distortion is one of the intrinsic basic properties of differential amplifiers. You just have to expand the transfer functions of circuits into a power series to quantify the distortion products and note that the in a differential amplifier, the odd-order terms retain their polarity, while the even-order terms are always positive. See Texas Instruments Application Report SLOA054D by James Karki or any non elementary text book on differential amplifiers for a complete explanation.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CEIQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ti.com%2Fgeneral%2Fdocs%2Flit%2Fgetliterature.tsp%3FbaseLiteratureNumber%3DSLOA054%26track%3Dno&ei=XCfsUeDGH-ip7QaIyICQAw&usg=AFQjCNE3N9Slo42CtJOJlrGg-xaXlZMXyA&bvm=bv.49478099,d.ZGU

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I can second Gary advice - I got the Flex connect and it is a great unit! Besides it also attenuates level - something great in most systems!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mep,

Sorry it is not voodoo land, as any one having studied differential amplifiers will tell you. Reduced Even-Order Harmonic Distortion is one of the intrinsic basic properties of differential amplifiers. You just have to expand the transfer functions of circuits into a power series to quantify the distortion products and note that the in a differential amplifier, the odd-order terms retain their polarity, while the even-order terms are always positive. See Texas Instruments Application Report SLOA054D by James Karki or any non elementary text book on differential amplifiers for a complete explanation.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CEIQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ti.com%2Fgeneral%2Fdocs%2Flit%2Fgetliterature.tsp%3FbaseLiteratureNumber%3DSLOA054%26track%3Dno&ei=XCfsUeDGH-ip7QaIyICQAw&usg=AFQjCNE3N9Slo42CtJOJlrGg-xaXlZMXyA&bvm=bv.49478099,d.ZGU

Do you have measurements of balanced preamps or amps which show they don't have any even order THD and only have odd order THD?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Do you have measurements of balanced preamps or amps which show they don't have any even order THD and only have odd order THD?

Although I do not have analysis of distortion spectra or measurements showing it, it should not be difficult to look for them if someone is really interested in them. But I only have pointed to technical literature showing that differential amplifiers handle even and odd harmonics in theory. Real life depends on the implementation of the circuits!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
There are lots of balanced products in the marketplace and I don't ever remember reading a review that contained measurements which indicated all even order harmonics had been cancelled out and only odd order harmonics remained. Seems like this would really be an issue if true depending on the level of harmonics contained in the signal.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
There are lots of balanced products in the marketplace and I don't ever remember reading a review that contained measurements which indicated all even order harmonics had been cancelled out and only odd order harmonics remained. Seems like this would really be an issue if true depending on the level of harmonics contained in the signal.

Mep,
Not difficult to remember or find :) Many balanced solid state preamplifiers from the 90's had distortion spectra similar to the ML 380s http://www.stereophile.com/content/mark-levinson-no38s-preamplifier-measurements

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 639

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I know for folks with Otari tape decks, pin 3 is hot, whereas normally it would be pin 2 on an XLR

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I know for folks with Otari tape decks, pin 3 is hot, whereas normally it would be pin 2 on an XLR

Nick base my cable based on my balanced switch circuitry coming off the heads. IOW it is a true balanced switch. He redid my switch based on the need for SE outputs. Lack of space beside the existing XLR outs. So I need a balanced pair of cables coming RCA out of my Studer and XLR into his tape head preamp. Hence the need for such a cable. I have since sent back a pair of my balanced Valhalla cables for R A on one side and XLR on the other. Works beautifully. Dead quiet.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing