Switzerland is more than chocolates and cheese (a darTZeel factory tour)

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
And you think right, Jack :)
The insides of these cases are better finished than 99% of the exterior cases of most amps!

I also heard that you'll be able to upgrade to mk2, for a fee. It's not a simple "mod", since the preamp will involve the front panel, and the amp will get a 2nd pair of output transistors...

Hyperion, IIRC, you could upgrade your model A to model B. That was an "official upgrade", so I don't think the mk2 will be the first time.

alexandre

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
DartZeel upgrades and news about new products have always been a taboo zone. ;) I got so contradictory opinions concerning them along the years from retailers, users and forum members that I will not believe in anything before I see the new products. Even today, most people do not know officially what were the revisions of products along their lifespan. One think seems true - the development cycle is very slow, we usually wait a few years between rumors and the moment the product reaches the shops. But usually it is worth waiting patiently ...

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Herve is likely the nicest guy in high end audio (ok, maybe only one of the nicest guys). but his communications on his intents compared to the reality of his timely progress are two vastly different things.

almost 3 years ago he spoke of various 'intents' to upgrade certain products over a period of months. now three years later no movement toward any of those intents has happened, and none are on the horizon. right now he is working on the integrated and that is taking lots of time to do that.

all this is the price of great demand for his products and his commitment to the quality of his products.

so when I read about Mk2 this and Mk2 that, it's a bit crazy. I do agree that whatever he does and whenever he does it he will consider and respect his current customers in the equation.

speak to the darTZeel distributor in your area for reality.

I totally agree about the level of fit and finish for darTZeel. it is as good as it can possibly get and every surface of every product is a thing of beauty.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Herve is likely the nicest guy in high end audio (ok, maybe only one of the nicest guys). but his communications on his intents compared to the reality of his timely progress are two vastly different things.

almost 3 years ago he spoke of various 'intents' to upgrade certain products over a period of months. now three years later no movement toward any of those intents has happened, and none are on the horizon. right now he is working on the integrated and that is taking lots of time to do that.

all this is the price of great demand for his products and his commitment to the quality of his products.

so when I read about Mk2 this and Mk2 that, it's a bit crazy. I do agree that whatever he does and whenever he does it he will consider and respect his current customers in the equation.

speak to the darTZeel distributor in your area for reality.

I totally agree about the level of fit and finish for darTZeel. it is as good as it can possibly get and every surface of every product is a thing of beauty.

Well when you see a prototype being worked on, then you KNOW. LoL

However, there is still lag time to full production.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Is the Mk I not good enough now? I've never heard any complaints. Why the upgrade?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Is the Mk I not good enough now? I've never heard any complaints. Why the upgrade?

After lots of research and help from friendly forum members, I found the differences concerning the NH108 versions and switched to a latest version using the SMTP. It sounds better than my first one, and has none of the problems that drove me away from it - no more breaks to change the fuse during Shostakovitch symphonies!

And yes, Herve is a very nice guy - specially if you speak french!

Last edited:

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
After lots of research and help from friendly forum members, I found the differences concerning the NH108 versions and switched to a latest version using the SMTP. !

I thought we were speaking of the NHB-18NS pre?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

I don't recall anybody saying the NHB 18 (or the 108 for that matter) isn't good enough. You're reading too much into it, or trying to stir things up.

The NHB 18 is fantastic, but nothing's perfect. There are little quirky things that are being improved on the mk2, and these are good enough to have us existing users drooling. Things like remote controlled control of the phono pre. Or an actual display, to be able to read the volume level. And that's not even getting into the actual sound quality improvements, which are likely coming as well...

alexandre

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I don't recall anybody saying the NHB 18 (or the 108 for that matter) isn't good enough. You're reading too much into it, or trying to stir things up.
alexandre

Not trying to stir anything up. If the Mk I was lacking in functionality, then it's warranted. Is there an official announcement on what is being upgraded or just anecdotal speculation?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Bruce, what can I tell you more than what I presented in part 1?

This anally-retentive build quality is carried thru the entire range, even to the “entry level” integrated, costing a cool $20k each. A nice touch is the volume knob is labelled the “Pleasure Control”. I was able to see the stereo power amp as well as the current pre-amp and the prototype of the latest refresh of the pre, which will be end of life after that.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Bruce, what can I tell you more than what I presented in part 1?

...I was able to see the stereo power amp as well as the current pre-amp and the prototype of the latest refresh of the pre, which will be end of life after that.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "...end of life after that". Please explain.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Not a Mk2, but a whole new design with I suppose will have a brand new model number...

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Or an actual display, to be able to read the volume level. (...)

alexandre

I hope Herve is reading you. IMHO a preamplifier fitted with a remote using an optically switched stepped volume control without a level display is not a pleasure control!

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yes, that's the kind of "quirkiness" that I wrote about :)
Unless his plans changed, it will have a display.
He was particularly proud of the phono stage, so I'm anxious to hear that. I guess with the crowd here, I must emphasize the current phono stage in the 18NS is fantastic, so if there's an improvement, I can't wait to hear it :)

alexandre

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes, that's the kind of "quirkiness" that I wrote about :)
Unless his plans changed, it will have a display.
He was particularly proud of the phono stage, so I'm anxious to hear that. I guess with the crowd here, I must emphasize the current phono stage in the 18NS is fantastic, so if there's an improvement, I can't wait to hear it :)

alexandre

Yes, it is fantastic and I enjoyed it a lot. But later I felt that Audio Research Reference Phono 2 surpassed it, and I (and Herve, btw) know about one user of the 18NS/458 combo who is using this phono unit with this combo. I am sure that Herve will make his best to be sure he replaces the ARC with is new preamplifier ASAP. ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing