New King of the Mountain

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I guess to really find out how much the TT contributes to the sound, listen with headphones and record output with no speakers playing. That's what I do. Certainly would negate the need for exotic isolation devices!

Bruce, I don't think this would be the case. Certainly, eliminating vibrations from the speakers helps, but the Vibraplanes and other isolation platforms also prevent floor born vibrations from traveling up from the earth through the buildings structure. These devices were originally designed to isolate things like electron microscopes from vibrations like trucks driving by, and earth movement. There are no speaker systems blasting music in those lab environments.

I have found serious vibration isolation to be indispensable to achieving great sound. Rockitman would probably also agree.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce, I don't think this would be the case. Certainly, eliminating vibrations from the speakers helps, but the Vibraplanes and other isolation platforms also prevent floor born vibrations from traveling up from the earth through the buildings structure. These devices were originally designed to isolate things like electron microscopes from vibrations like trucks driving by, and earth movement. There are no speaker systems blasting music in those lab environments.

I have found serious vibration isolation to be indispensable to achieving great sound. Rockitman would probably also agree.

My floor is decoupled from the slab through the Kinetics Noise Control KIP system and Green Glue elastomer , so I seriously doubt that any trucks or "earth borne" vibration is getting to my TT.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
My floor is decoupled from the slab through the Kinetics Noise Control KIP system and Green Glue elastomer , so I seriously doubt that any trucks or "earth borne" vibration is getting to my TT.

Are you sure Bruce? We're talking vibrations on the order of <0.5 Hz. I can tell you that even with the best isolation, the Biology dept. at Columbia had huge issues with low frequencies from trucks, etc. affecting their EM scopes a while back.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Are you sure Bruce? We're talking vibrations on the order of <0.5 Hz. I can tell you that even with the best isolation, the Biology dept. at Columbia had huge issues with low frequencies from trucks, etc. affecting their EM scopes a while back.

Pretty sure about that Myles... I live in a residential area on top of a mountain. No trucks for miles....

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Pretty sure about that Myles... I live in a residential area on top of a mountain. No trucks for miles....

OK, living in the boonies has its advantages :) Just that those low frequency waves travel for miles and miles eg. how we detect seismic events :)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
OK, living in the boonies has its advantages :) Just that those low frequency waves travel for miles and miles eg. how we detect seismic events :)

Home ventilation systems, duct work generate vibration. Sounds like Bruce has it handled quite well especially since there will be no music acoustic noise/feedback in the room (headphones).

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Home ventilation systems, duct work generate vibration. Sounds like Bruce has it handled quite well especially since there will be no music acoustic noise/feedback in the room (headphones).

Ductwork has baffles in the studio area and totally separate trunks from the rest of the house. We spent a lot of $$ on the infrastructure.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Ductwork has baffles in the studio area and totally separate trunks from the rest of the house. We spent a lot of $$ on the infrastructure.

we should play a game to see if anyone can come up with something of added value you already haven't thought about and addressed. Well done my friend. A man of execution precision...;)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

I sounds like you have well isolated your environment, Bruce. You made the point that if listening to headphones, one would not need exotic isolation platforms. I contend that that is not the case because of environmental vibrations which you have recognized and attempted to deal with in your studio setting, regardless of your use of headphones. For others, earth vibrations, trucks, HVAC, even washing machines etc. cause issues for turntables. Simply turning off the speakers will not solve them.

And even the bigger SME tables and the TechDas with well designed isolation systems, benefit from being placed on isolation platforms.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I sounds like you have well isolated your environment, Bruce. You made the point that if listening to headphones, one would not need exotic isolation platforms. I contend that that is not the case because of environmental vibrations which you have recognized and attempted to deal with in your studio setting, regardless of your use of headphones. For others, earth vibrations, trucks, HVAC, even washing machines etc. cause issues for turntables. Simply turning off the speakers will not solve them.

And even the bigger SME tables and the TechDas with well designed isolation systems, benefit from being placed on isolation platforms.

Then there's the internal vibrations and resonance of the tt that's not airborne and needs to be dealt with.

AF1 and SME 30 are totally different designs and require very different types of isolation, which could also vary depending on their environment.

david

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Then there's the internal vibrations and resonance of the tt that's not airborne and needs to be dealt with.

AF1 and SME 30 are totally different designs and require very different types of isolation, which could also vary depending on their environment.

david

David, Perhaps I don't follow your point. Your comment above is in response to my comment "And even the bigger SME tables and the TechDas with well designed isolation systems, benefit from being placed on isolation platforms." I am referring to platforms intended to isolate the turntable from external vibrations traveling up the rack. Are you referring to external isolation or isolation solutions internal to the turntable system?

If you are referring to the former, I agree that the AF1 and SME30 are different designs, but they do have some similarities and both will benefit by being placed on isolation platforms. They are similar in that they are both belt drives, they both have built in suspensions, each motor is separated from the platter/arm by isolation of some type, they both have record clamp systems and for the most part, owners of each use pivoting arms.

Rockitman uses a Herzan active isolation platform for his AF1 and I use a Vibraplane isolation platform for my SME 30/12. We both have reported very positive results after placing our respective turntables on these isolation platforms.

Are you suggesting that one is more suited for the Herzan and the other more suited for the Vibraplane, or are you making a different point?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David, Perhaps I don't follow your point. Your comment above is in response to my comment "And even the bigger SME tables and the TechDas with well designed isolation systems, benefit from being placed on isolation platforms." I am referring to platforms intended to isolate the turntable from external vibrations traveling up the rack. Are you referring to external isolation or isolation solutions internal to the turntable system?

If you are referring to the former, I agree that the AF1 and SME30 are different designs, but they do have some similarities and both will benefit by being placed on isolation platforms. They are similar in that they are both belt drives, they both have built in suspensions, each motor is separated from the platter/arm by isolation of some type, they both have record clamp systems and for the most part, owners of each use pivoting arms.

Rockitman uses a Herzan active isolation platform for his AF1 and I use a Vibraplane isolation platform for my SME 30/12. We both have reported very positive results after placing our respective turntables on these isolation platforms.

Are you suggesting that one is more suited for the Herzan and the other more suited for the Vibraplane, or are you making a different point?

Peter, two things; your 1st question, I was agreeing with you. 2nd part, your last question, I am suggesting different types of isolation with tables mentioned here. There's nothing in common design wise, engineering or sonically between the SME and the TechDas. Technically they're almost opposites. AF1 is a high mass, high inertia design while the SME is basically a medium mass suspended design. I have no experience with Herzan platforms and can't comment on them but I know vibraplanes very well. While your bench style viblraplane works great with the SME, high mass designs like Micros and AF1 need and will benefit from very high mass platforms, in their case air support can have a negative impact if not tailored specifically to them. In the case of AF1 which already has oil/air bladders built in, doubling it up with vibraplane will yield a negative instead of a positive. My point, when it comes to support there's no one size fit all and at this level one has to experiment with different options to find the right solution for each type of tt. The only universal I've come to believe in is mass, its almost always good.

david

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
While your bench style viblraplane works great with the SME, high mass designs like Micros and AF1 need and will benefit from very high mass platforms, in their case air support can have a negative impact if not tailored specifically to them. In the case of AF1 which already has oil/air bladders built in, doubling it up with vibraplane will yield a negative instead of a positive. My point, when it comes to support there's no one size fit all and at this level one has to experiment with different options to find the right solution for each type of tt. The only universal I've come to believe in is mass, its almost always good.

david

Hi David, Thanks for the clarification. It makes sense. Fellow member Syntax has a Micro (5000? with flywheel) and he reports superb results with his Vibraplane. I don't know if it is preloaded with a ballast plate or not. Perhaps his Micro behaves differently that the TechDas AF1, because it does not have the air/oil bladders.

Rockitman has stacked isolation: The AF1 air/oil bladders, the HRS platform, the Herzan active isolation platform, an Adona rack. He reports excellent results.

My SME 30/12 is on a 136 lb steel ballast plate and then the 150 lb Vibraplane platform, for a total system weight of 400 lbs. I completely agree with you about the importance of mass. My solution makes it possible to also isolate the motor controller from the rack further increasing performance.

I think that perhaps the SME would benefit from the Herzan, but based on what you write, the AF1 would not benefit from the Vibraplane. Thank you for explaining this.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi David, Thanks for the clarification. It makes sense. Fellow member Syntax has a Micro (5000? with flywheel) and he reports superb results with his Vibraplane. I don't know if it is preloaded with a ballast plate or not. Perhaps his Micro behaves differently that the TechDas AF1, because it does not have the air/oil bladders.

Rockitman has stacked isolation: The AF1 air/oil bladders, the HRS platform, the Herzan active isolation platform, an Adona rack. He reports excellent results.

My SME 30/12 is on a 136 lb steel ballast plate and then the 150 lb Vibraplane platform, for a total system weight of 400 lbs. I completely agree with you about the importance of mass. My solution makes it possible to also isolate the motor controller from the rack further increasing performance.

I think that perhaps the SME would benefit from the Herzan, but based on what you write, the AF1 would not benefit from the Vibraplane. Thank you for explaining this.

Hi Peter,

The only way to know what the Herzan will do with your SME table is to try it out, even if we had the same tables our tastes might differ as will our mileage. I use the heavy duty lab tables under my tts without using the air part. I find that if I don't have enough pressure the sound gets muddy and more pressure just makes the sound hard, so I use it without. but I like air under everything else. I can't comment on Syntax's tastes or his system. Its a matter of synergy and personal preference, just gotta figure out how things work then make educated choices, no right or wrong as long as you like it. AF1 is a different story since it already has air bladders built in the additional air support actually has a negative effect.

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing