Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

I could argue the sub range is the feel the music physical range. In that sense, it is contributing to air movement as you say.

I agree.

The X2's are playing full range with the subs bringing up everything from 16-43 Hz

We can all argue all we want :D. My opinion is still that Steve will notice less change from putting Stillpoints under his subs than from using them in many other places in his system, but until he tries it no one will know.

We can all argue all we want :D. My opinion is still that Steve will notice less change from putting Stillpoints under his subs than from using them in many other places in his system, but until he tries it no one will know.

It will be interesting to hear his impressions. My vote...significant improvement in low bass articulation.

Hello Steve! How is the recovery going?

Hi John

Thanks for asking. Today is 3 weeks exactly post op and it wasn't until a few days ago that I have honestly begun to feel myself again. I still have 6 weeks of physical therapy at 3x per week to get through before I come back for round two on the other leg

It's been tough being able to sit down and listen to music until just recently

Hi John

Thanks for asking. Today is 3 weeks exactly post op and it wasn't until a few days ago that I have honestly begun to feel myself again. I still have 6 weeks of physical therapy at 3x per week to get through before I come back for round two on the other leg

It's been tough being able to sit down and listen to music until just recently

Good to hear you're feeling yourself again! Ok, that doesn't read right, but you know what I mean. A friend at work had the operation and it took her a bit longer, but I suppose it varies from person to person.

Anyway, I don't want to veer your thread off course, but am just glad you're doing ok and progressing to a full recovery.

Cheers my friend!

Another Stillpoints WTF Moment

It's been about 10 days since I place a total of 12 Stillpoints Ultra 5's under my power amp which is dual mono, dual power supply. I placed 3 under each amp and another three under each power supply. Recently at THE Show in Newport I spoke to Bruce Jacobs as to his recommendations as to where to place these ultra 5's. It was his suggestion to try one under each transformer. If I were to do that I would need 5 Ultra 5's under each power supply as there are 4 rear transformers and I placed another Ultra 5 towards the underside of the front center part of the amp. However I only had 3 for each power supply such that I placed 2 under each of the two rear most transformers and the third under the front center. I thought this sounded wonderful.

Bruce however, as well as just about everyone here who use Stillpoints always to experiment with placement because each change and they produce a different sound. This afternoon i pushed the Ultra 5's that were under the front center of each power supply back approximately 6 inches such that they now sit under the junction between the 2 other transformers. Bruce had suggested ideally to have one under each transformer but failing that he suggested placing them under the seam where transformers meet (which is what I was able to do without the amp falling forward due to this 3rd Ultra 5 being too far back of center. Presently there is no shift in the balance of each power supply but I was stunned at the change in the sound. These devices are truly remarkable and I would recommend people consider them. The improvement for my ears is always in the deep bass and low mid bass however the entire midrange seems to sound so much better.

My only other option is to use 5 Ultra 5's under each power supply but these things are far from inexpensive.

Christian, how are you using Stillpoints under your Xs150s? Do you still have the amp stacked on the power supply?

If it was me and I didn't want to spend more $$$ than necessary....LOL . do 3 ultra 5's under each component chassis and LP1's on top of exposed transformers. I do it with my Allnic PS and on top of all other rack components and amps with a cover.

If it was me and I didn't want to spend more $$$ than necessary....LOL . do 3 ultra 5's under each component chassis and LP1's on top of exposed transformers. I do it with my Allnic PS and on top of all other rack components and amps with a cover.

So, are you putting 3 beneath the power supply and then putting 3 on top of the power supply and then stacking the amp on top of the supply?

It's been about 10 days since I place a total of 12 Stillpoints Ultra 5's under my power amp which is dual mono, dual power supply. I placed 3 under each amp and another three under each power supply. Recently at THE Show in Newport I spoke to Bruce Jacobs as to his recommendations as to where to place these ultra 5's. It was his suggestion to try one under each transformer. If I were to do that I would need 5 Ultra 5's under each power supply as there are 4 rear transformers and I placed another Ultra 5 towards the underside of the front center part of the amp. However I only had 3 for each power supply such that I placed 2 under each of the two rear most transformers and the third under the front center. I thought this sounded wonderful.

Bruce however, as well as just about everyone here who use Stillpoints always to experiment with placement because each change and they produce a different sound. This afternoon i pushed the Ultra 5's that were under the front center of each power supply back approximately 6 inches such that they now sit under the junction between the 2 other transformers. Bruce had suggested ideally to have one under each transformer but failing that he suggested placing them under the seam where transformers meet (which is what I was able to do without the amp falling forward due to this 3rd Ultra 5 being too far back of center. Presently there is no shift in the balance of each power supply but I was stunned at the change in the sound. These devices are truly remarkable and I would recommend people consider them. The improvement for my ears is always in the deep bass and low mid bass however the entire midrange seems to sound so much better.

My only other option is to use 5 Ultra 5's under each power supply but these things are far from inexpensive.

Good to hear, Doc. 4 Aurio Pros ended up underneath my power conditioner of all things (Torus). They didn't work at all under the TT- the Wave Kinectics were superior. Also think the Pros are better for higher mass objects like amps, speakers, etc.

Good to hear, Doc. 4 Aurio Pros ended up underneath my power conditioner of all things (Torus). They didn't work at all under the TT- the Wave Kinectics were superior. Also think the Pros are better for higher mass objects like amps, speakers, etc.

The Ultra 5s didn't work at all beneath my SME 30/12 either.

So, are you putting 3 beneath the power supply and then putting 3 on top of the power supply and then stacking the amp on top of the supply?

I could do that. I have 3 under each PS and the Gain stage sits on top w/o stillpoints (stock feet). I don't have enough room to run the PS/Gain stage side by side with stands and stillpoints for all 4 chassis.

...Bruce however, as well as just about everyone here who use Stillpoints always to experiment with placement because each change and they produce a different sound. This afternoon i pushed the Ultra 5's that were under the front center of each power supply back approximately 6 inches such that they now sit under the junction between the 2 other transformers. Bruce had suggested ideally to have one under each transformer but failing that he suggested placing them under the seam where transformers meet (which is what I was able to do without the amp falling forward due to this 3rd Ultra 5 being too far back of center. Presently there is no shift in the balance of each power supply but I was stunned at the change in the sound. These devices are truly remarkable and I would recommend people consider them. The improvement for my ears is always in the deep bass and low mid bass however the entire midrange seems to sound so much better.

Hi Steve, Congrats...mostly glad to see that you seem to be recovering from surgery at least enough to be able to do a little experimenting in audio. Take it easy! As for Ultra 5s, I am going to make a recommendation which I have done myself...get the extra Ultra 5s and try out the 'all out' combination. See what happens. Generally, when I have done this...I keep them. I wont kid you. At the same time, there have been a 1 or 2 times when I realized...due to yet a different configuration that came with having enough Ultra 5s to experiment a bit, I could reproduce results without quite needing all of them. So a couple of Ultra 5s did actually go back.

You may find that 1 underneath each transformer is transformational (pardon the pun) and "worth considering buying"...or you may find that the placement 'as is' or yet another one which requires no further Ultra 5 purchases works great. I recommend experimenting with a few more because your system is so finely tuned (along with your ears), that it reveals clearly minor nuances of movement of an Ultra 5. That suggests something to me...Good luck and in any event enjoy and recover well.

Hi Lloyd and thanks for the well wishes. By the time I'm fully recovered from the right side I'll be admitted for same surgery on the left knee :(

However

Just like you say there is clearly an audible sonic difference which I heard when I moved the front ultra 5 further back so it sits at the junction of the 2 transformers not covered with Stillpoints.

I agree to do the experiment however I am not sure I want to buy 4 more (2 more for each power supply) because as you say if they produce no improvement in one spot they will surely find a home elsewhere in a system :). They really are wonderful devices

Stevie, I've always been curious why you never gave the stands Vlad presents with a whirl. The cost difference really isn't much. :)

Stevie, I've always been curious why you never gave the stands Vlad presents with a whirl. The cost difference really isn't much. :)

I have certainly considered that Jack but I have to tell you that since I have placed Ultra 5's under my amps and hearing the sonic improvement I started to wonder if using a better amp stand in addition to the Ultra 5's would make a noticeable improvement. For anyone who hasn't had a chance to demo some Stillpoints in their system, you should

I do plan on changing stands for my front end gear

...Just like you say there is clearly an audible sonic difference which I heard when I moved the front ultra 5 further back so it sits at the junction of the 2 transformers not covered with Stillpoints.

I agree to do the experiment however I am not sure I want to buy 4 more (2 more for each power supply) because as you say if they produce no improvement in one spot they will surely find a home elsewhere in a system :). They really are wonderful devices

Yeah...there is that likely danger. I get that. I really do...;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing