Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
No problem Steve.
Maybe you’d expect me to respond to Ked’s comments on accepting criticism.
No probs tuning out of this one.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Hi marc

could we keep the topic of my system blog on topic please

Today I have another international visitor for the next 5 days as Jadis arrives in a few hours from Manila after spending a week in San Francisco. Little does he know I will avail myself upon an extra pair of hands and get the Subs out of the sound room

Cant wait for your report.
Enjoy your time in good company.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Congrats Steve on the subs, room damping changes. I know significant change is difficult and never felt the need for subs on my X-2's, but always wondered. I guess I can put that thought to bed.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
This is a great read Steve! I only met Russ recently and I hope that I wasn't too harsh with him :) but we did enjoy a great dinner together and look forward to meeting up again next time I'm in the area. Sometimes change takes time and it requires the help of a good friend to discover the aha moments, in the end all's well that end's well! I feel privileged to be part of your journey and this wonderful forum that you created.

david

Dos Amigos Reunite In Southern California

I've been rather silent for the past 3 months here however I'm sure most of you are aware of my system changes made over these past several months and my involvement with Center Stage feet except to say that since I posted last my entire front and back end electronics are completely standing on Center Stage feet. I've been doing a lot of traveling and hearing a lot of amazing systems far and near.

What was fun for me was a minor reunion of the Tres Amigos rides again with this time 2 of us getting together recently at my house for 4 days . For all of us I am sure, it is not only the fun of assembling a system to one's satisfaction but so also over that time developing remarkable friendships with fellow audiophiles from far and near that become lifelong acquaintances.So it is with the Tres Amoigos
marty
mobiusman (Russ)
me

I've known Marty and Russ for close to 20 years and the number of times we have been together, audio shows we attended together as well as traveling together all over the globe, the most fun has always been when the 3 of us can ride together In the absence of such it was a real treat for me to have spent 4 days this past week with Russ the mobiusman who decided to get out of the very frigid New Jersey sea board and come west to Southern California where the days were a balmy mid 70's, until the day after Russ arrived when we had very heavy rain. Nothing stopped us however as we managed to log close to 500 miles of driving fro place to place to hear so many great systems.

On the day it rained we drove 100 miles south to be hosted personally by fellow WBF member asiufy (Alex) owner with his partner Fabio Alma music which in the few years since opening they seem to have become the marquis of high end audio for all of San Diego County and for this I always wish Alex and Fabio continuing success in their business. They carry first class lines and they know their stuff. No BS with an easy trade and buy program

Alex played for Russ and I a demo that I truly would not have expected. Alex demoed Wilson Alexia Series ll, TOL Kubala Sosna cables, ARC Ref 10 preamp, D'Agostino Momento 400 monos with a Lin player etc, etc

I was simply stunned at the sound I heard sitting behind Russ. These speakers were set top starting with the Wilson technique but fine tuned with the ears of Fabio and Alex. This was done in 1/2" increments forward and inward as well as the toe in and took an entire day. The final set up was outside the wilson recommended ratio but the sound was simply beyond what I had expected.Alex threw every top of music at it and there was nothing lacking and this was a very large room

Thank you Alex for making that drive a really wonderful listening as well as a learning experience and I have owned Wilson speakers since 1993.

On our second night I felt that no trip to southern California would be complete without taking Russ for a visit to my good friend Philip O'Hanlon who is now the USA distributor for Gryphon and recent USA distributor for Vivid. Phillip's Gryphon gear was all out at dealers but the real reason we visited was to hear both the Vivid G1 Series 2 and the brand new Vivid Spirit. That was quite a demo and I must say (no offense to Rodney Gold who owns the Spirit) that for my ears I preferred the G1 V2 to the Spirit. Philip has a huge room (40 x 30 x 23) and it is almost an Infinite Baffle. The subs on the Spirit I thought was ginormous and filled even Phillip's very large room so much so that my impression is that the Spirit was bass heavy and rolled off at the top end when compared to the G1 V2 which IMO had excellent bass but not to the extent of the Spirit it had a better top end which did not seem rolled off as compared to the Spirit

The clincher was listening to a track off Phillip's demo disc 18 with Depeche Mode, Welcome To My World. With the Spirit I thought there was going to be plaster falling from the ceiling whereas when played with the G1 V2 the bass was perfect for my ears

All in all the 3-4 hours we were at Phillip's were again educational for me as I am willing to bet there aren't too many places where you can hear G1 V2 side by side with the Spirit.

The G1 is a big speaker and even though the Spirits 4"shorter than the G1, the Spirit is a MUCH bigger speaker and one's room needs to be huge for this speaker to sing

Russ and I ate at some great south Orange county restaurants and spent the last night in Laguna Beach on the sand at one of the local restaurants and the weather was cooperative as the sunset was without a cloud in the sky

Now to the real interesting stuff that Russ and I discovered in my system and the epiphany we both had with a change to my system that took all of 10 seconds and cost nothing to do

Let me first preface by reminding readers that in my last room I had a pair of JL Audio Gotham G113 subs and in my present room I have a pair of JL Audio F113 Fathom subs. I can honestly say that attempting to match subs and get them integrated in a room with full range speakers often becomes an exercise in futility and as my good friend ddk says, the subs fight with the main speakers and the deep bass usually is terrible at worst and so so at best.I have had countless visitors from all over the world visit with me and I always pay attention to listeners' observations. Recently I decided to adjust the listening position of my chair and settled on moving it 8" forward. This was with the advice of many listeners including members DaveyF, Leif S, and Damon VS. Also, countless listeners have told me that I do not need the twin Fathom subs in my room and this was from members with darn good ears such as Gary Koh, Bruce Brown, Leif and Damon to the point where in the past 4 months I have been listening entirely with the subs off including when listening to large symphonics. I have to admit that old habits die hard and that was for me the most difficult to relinquish as I felt they were necessary for the lower register in large symphonics.There was no doubt in my mind that the bass even though sounding better without the subs still lacked authority so for me it became a double edged sword,.......until my visit with Russ when a 5 year quandary was how to get deep bass with authority in my room without the use of subs.......

I should call this next part of this post, "I should have listened to good advice, but I was too vain and stubborn to heed"

Prior to my decision to build my room into my house rather than as an addition onto my house I had little space to work with and all my friends told me to sell my Lamm gear and change speakers as there was no way I could build a room without blowing the back wall off with y existing gear. Hence my consultation with my acoustician Ronnie Schnitta o said there was no problem in designing the room . Her mantra was "trying to fool my speakers that the room is twice the size". She did a terrific job which can be read at the beginning of this blog. What she did tell me was to experiment with opening the side wall drapes as well as the front wall drapes to change the sound. I was too pleased with the visual effect and TBH quite happy with the sound in the room to leave the front or side wall drapes open.

Then along comes my good friend DDK who suggests the room is a bit over damped and convinced me to remove the Paradise foam hidden in the picture on the front wall. Sonically David was right on. He also suggested that it would be a good idea to leave the side drapes open, as well as the front wall and even better to remove some of the drapes. Again my vanity put blinkers on my eyes and with the room recently opened I wasn't wanting to quickly change it. Also the effects that I was hearing was good but not enough to leave the drapes open.

And TBH over the next 3-4 years I never re-explored the possibility of the room being over damped

Russ and I listened the first day initially with the subs on and then off,and at the end Russ also preferred the sound with the subs off however Russ said that he "likes a little bit of sizzle to his music and he wondered if the room was a bit over damped as he felt we were losing some bottom end energy.

Suffice it to say the experiment was immediately started. We started initially with the recommendation made by David which was to open the drapes from the middle 1/3 of each side. When we did this we were shocked but not in such a great way as the sound was booming and overloaded the room. we figured might be onto something and gradually closed the side panel drapes, listening with each minor adjustment. It wasn't until we had closed 1/2 of what was previously open and we sat and listened that the epiphany was there as Russ turned around and looked at me in amazement. To my ears I can say that I have never heard the deep bass in my system sound as good as it did. There was no overload or roominess but rather deep bass in all it's glory.

All in all I out guess that the side drapes were opened about 2 -3 feet and I will include some pictures. Having overcome the shock of such a discovery we decided there might be more and we opened the front wall drapes which cover the windows. Once again the effect was way too overpowering for the room and we began adjusting the drapes on each side of the large art work on the wall. When all was said and done the drapes were opened all of 5" on each side to expose some underlying wall.

Each time a change was made the same song was played at the same gain on my preamp. I've mentioned it before but if you want to test your room for deep bass try starting with Welcome to my World by Depeche Mode. This is what we did

So here I am some 5 years after my room was built and still not heeding countless remarks from listeners such as the lack of need for additional subs in my room I finally am finally playing with the subs off but last week I discovered with the help of one other Amigo that letting go of my vanity and predetermined biases and opening the room drapes, that I achieved a level of enjoyment in my room that I have never before experienced.

The immersive effect we heard with the Center Stage feet made the sound almost holographic. My take from this lesson is never to be so close minded to write off reasonable suggestions that are easy to implement.

I also suspect that the room overdamping contributed to a loss of deep bass, as well as less than complete immersive effect from the Center Stage Feet. This became evident almost immediately with a simple parting of the drapes

The last night Russ and I listened to tape and one of the highlights was listening to Witches Brew which I had heard before but never with the drapes parted. Irecord was, the tape was just so much bettert was probably the best music I have ever heard on my system. Thank you to my brothers in that country shaped like a boot for providing access to that tape. In fact Russ after the tape was over asked if I would play the record in order to compare.As good as the record was the ope was just quantum leaps better

So at the end of this big long post a big shoutout and thank you to DDK and Bonzo 75 who made the suggestion years ago but thanks to me and my vanity it never got done until recent meeting of the Amigos. If I had only listened to you guys but you both owe yourself a followup listen now to hear the difference. This isn't subtle

I'll post some photos of the simple parting of the drapes and how for e it immediately obviated the need of supplemental subs in my system. My JL Audio Fathom F113's are coming out of the system and will be for sale. Anyone reading this who wants a perfect pair of Fathom 113 Ver 1send me a PM

Not sure if Russ will get a chance to read this but if is I will let him comment about the changes and the music we used throughout

Russ, my Amigo, I had an absolutely wonderful time with you. The time was brief but fully packed. I learned a lot but the lesson to this story is not to ignore suggestions listeners make to improve your system. I learned my lesson almost 3 years after the fact but haven't stopped smiling since

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi marc

could we keep the topic of my system blog on topic please

Today I have another international visitor for the next 5 days as Jadis arrives in a few hours from Manila after spending a week in San Francisco. Little does he know I will avail myself upon an extra pair of hands and get the Subs out of the sound room

Steve,

Anyway I suggest you do not forget of Marty experience - as far as I remember he needed a JLAudio CR1 crossover to fully integrate the subs. Although I would love to have a system without sub's in my system the F113 mk2 + CR1 also do a great job.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I have remained somewhat quiet since Steve’s original post on our visit largely because my head has been jumping around considering the various permutations and combination for my next system steps. Although I recently bought a Spectral DMC 30-SV and a DMA 300 RS, not to mention about $100k of MIT SHD cables and speaker wire, the Spectral sound has become a bit too analytic for me, leading to a desired shift to a more musical system.

Also, I have to remember that what started this quest was finding a way to remove my JL F113 subs to help reduce feedback to my turntable. I had just bought a new turntable, arm and cartridge, (Triangle Art Reference SE, Rockport Sirrius 6000 tone arm and the new ZYX Ultimate cartridge, but had not yet heard the combo because I was having trouble getting an air line to my tone arm’s air bearing from it’s somewhat industrial and noisy pump.

I have to admit that since I started writing this post last weekend, my next thoughts of the moment have changed at least 5, if not, 10 times, with no confidence that I have come to a conclusion at this point. I have never thought of myself as a shopaholic because I do not like shopping, I have to admit that I am when it comes to making an audio purchase choice. I have been home all day as the fourth snow storm in as many weeks has occurred. While I had many plans for things I would get done, I did nothing but read reviews, called stores and talked to Marty, in whom I have now stimulated his version of the same illness. In fact, I was not sure if I was looking for new speakers, electronics and/or cables

While I had not heard Steve’s system in its current room, I had heard it several times in a previous house. It was in the previous location that I first started my love affair with Lamm SET electronics. Fortunately, for me my speakers at the time could not be powered by any SET amp, nor could I afford the Lamm equipment, so they were not part of my thoughts for future system growth.

After Steve drove over two hours to pick my up at LAX and arriving at his home Friday night, Steve’s better half, Cathy, provided some great homemade soup and veggies, we went to Steve’s man cave a.k.a. his listening room. So it was with great excitement I sat down Friday night at about 2 am my time to listen to his new and improved system (with the addition of Master Built cables and cords and a full CMS rack system which combined cost more than my total system, not to mention total use of Center Stage footers).

Unfortunately, what I heard was not what I expected because it was somewhat sterile without any of the sizzle and romance I had remembered. I was concerned because the sound was similar to the Lamm sound I had just heard in another system, making me wonder if my memory was playing with me. However, there were elements of the cherished sound, but also a great sonic void lateral of each speaker, even on music I know well that goes way beyond my Vivid Giya’s. While I did not like the sound of the overdamping, it was impressive how the sound just stopped lateral of the speakers.

Part of me was relieved because Steve’s system easily costs 3 times mine and as I age I was not keen on spending the extra 2/3’s (about $500k) to get the Lamm sound I loved, plus it meant I would have to unload about $100k of MIT cable at fire sale prices to replace with Master Built for at least as much and then another $50-100k for CMS racks.

Saturday morning we set off to San Diego without so much as a peep from Steve, despite bumper to bumper traffic most of the way. We went to Alma Music, one of, if not the leading audio store in San Diego. One of the owners, Alex, could not have been more accommodating. We listened to a pair of Wilson Alexia series 2’s with D’Agostino Momentum 400 mono blocks and an ARC Ref 10 preamp. The sound was wonderful despite what looked like a very unusual setup with the speakers at least 15, if not 20 feet apart and yet sitting no more than 12-15 feet back. I must admit that caused me to renew my like for the Alexia because I understand that the Series 1 sounds almost the same and is $30k less. At just over $100,000 for the preamp/amp, this wonderful system seemed out of my range if I exclude what I will have to spend on Master Built cables, even after I sell my MIT cables and wire.

The Wilsons further peaked my interest as the weekend progressed and I heard Steve’s system in more detail (Witches Brew on tape and vinyl, Leonard Cohen and Depeche Mode on Steve’s system and on Phillip O’Hanlon’s Vivid Spirits and G1 series 2, powered by a huge Luxman mono block that unfortunately could not transmit the detail of Steve’s Lamm’s. But as Steve mentioned, it was opening his curtains about 18 inches on each side wall in his room that not only made a huge improvement, but probably produced the best sound I have ever heard with the possible exception of John Iverson’s Force Field. Add Steve’s acoustition Bonnie Schnitta to the list and budget.

I was quickly reminded that Steve’s Lamm reference amps, preamp and phono cost $230,000, not counting cabling and racks, way beyond my $50K budget and could not power Alexia’s due to an impedance drop. This however opened up another option, keep my Vivids and use Lamm Hybrid mono blocks and a hybrid preamplifier for a mere $56,000 infusion of cash, not counting the Master Built’s and rack’s. Another option would be to mix tubes with solid state and use a fully tube preamp that could drive the Spectral 300 RS, or maybe a tube amp that could be driven by the Spectral DMC 30SV, very hard scenarios to achieve in a store since they are not supposed to mix Spectral preamps and amps with non-Spectral products.

By this time I was not only confused, but becoming concerned that I had already exceeded my budget of trying to not spend much more than $50k on this upgrade, when I was already $56-105K over budget before cables and racks, because my Spectral electronics would probably sound even more analytic with either Alexia’s or G1 series 2.

Thankfully, we took Sunday morning off from audio and went to a wonderful brunch with Cathy. For a few moments the smoke stopped coming out of my ears. But then we went to Phillip O’Hanlon’s house to hear the Vivid Spirits AND Giya 1 series 2, an A-B comparison that few have had the opportunity to hear because they are rarely in the same location at the same time.

While I was hoping that the Spirit would be my last speaker, it was the least good sounding, at least when powered by Luxman mono blocks, of the then there contenders. Phillip’s room is so big 30’ x 40’ and 24’ tall, that my entire house could almost fit inside of it. Ironically despite it’s enormity, the Spirits had more bass than the room and all of the associated open air spaces could not handle them, and certainly more than my room could handle.

Monday morning we went back to Phillip’s to hear the G1’s after they had settled in. To my surprise, I much preferred the G1’s to the Spirits, despite being 4 1/2 inches taller than the already tall Spirits. Now a new issue, the height of the speakers entered into the mix, not to mention the likelihood that while the Spectral electronics would work, they probably would sound even more analytic with the Vivids and not have sufficient power.

To add to the confusion, Phillip introduced Gryphon electronics and speakers into the equation, but luckily did not have any pieces at his home so I did to have to contemplate another set of variables. He did have a 100 page beautifully done brochure that kept me busy on the plane as I flew cross country.

By the time I got home I needed an audio break to let my head cool down and make some serious decisions about how much money I wanted to spend and in what way so that I would not regret my moves. In the more than week since I got home, my confusion has become worse as more variable have entered the equation and I still do not have an air line to my Rockport arm.

The first thing I did was play with my speaker and subwoofer position to see if I could make any gains on that front and hopefully get back into my $50k upgrade, To my surprise, I improved the sound by moving the Vivids’ about 4 inches in on each side which helped with the midrange and then put the JL’s behind the Vivids and set back more so that the woofs were firing into the back of the Giya’s. Surprisingly this helped tremendously and probably would have been sufficient for the time being had I not heard Steve’s system, the Alexia’s with D’Agostino Momentum 400’s and the Giya 1’s. But then I could not test the acoustic feedback from the JL’s to the turntable because of the lack of an air line.

Now I was not sure what to do because of the likelihood of spending at least $100k on my upgrade, something I could do, but would be smarter to put into my retirement. And then I remembered that all of this was theoretical since I had never heard the combinations I was considering because by this time, this was not really an upgrade, but rather a wholesale system change of electronics, speakers and cables, not to mention racks.

This post is already too long and becoming more confusing with every word. This week I have already explored a pair of Kronzilla DXL mono blocks, Ayon Orthos XS mono blocks, Alexia 1’s and 2’s and plan to go hear Lamm hybrids this weekend.

In about a week I hope that I will have made some decisions and purchases so that my life can return to normal so that I can listen to some music and hopefully finally hear my new turntable, arm and cartridge which hopefully will solve my feedback problem.

A week later I am only added to my confusion by now adding Von Schweikert VR 55's to the mix, an evaluation of VAC tube amps and Master Built Ultra Speaker Cable (ordered).

Best of all about the visit was seeing Steve, Cathy and Meghan.

Last edited:

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Have you considered something like a Trinnov for your setup? The amethyst would be your best bet cos of its phono input.
The G1's major difference over the g3's is the scale of sound .. more grandeur , majesty and a more all enveloping sound.
You wont need your subs if you get a pair.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Russ, you don’t need new speakers but your front end makes no sense. Lamm phono and ARC dac to Spectral is odd.

You just need to move to different preamp/amp. Spectral doesn’t sound good on Wilson either.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Russ, you don’t need new speakers but your front end makes no sense. Lamm phono and ARC dac to Spectral is odd.

You just need to move to different preamp/amp. Spectral doesn’t sound good on Wilson either.

Ya... What do Spectrals sound good with? I can not say I care for them.

But really, Russ, please dont go crazy and do anything rash. If there is something I am very certain about, it is that all or the sound you seek doesnt require the price tags you assume. It is just easy to call it good and go with the most expensive things because the work to weed out non-qualifiers is complicated. Luckily this forum had a great many friendly contributors - among everyine here a surprising amount of gear had been heard.

I suggest you make a new thread, something like "help me get to my goals". List your stuff now, and tell us what you want to get to sonically.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I just came back from a 5 day Orange county vacation with my daughter in the lovely home of Steve and Cathy and I must say that my impression of this part of Southern California is gloriously sublime. In between, I listened to Steve's marvelous system for 3 different sessions, and Steve played me several tracks of CDs made specially by Philip O' Hanlon and a lot of these blew my away, with music I have never heard before but got me glued and asking for more. Steve's system as a whole struck me a very cohesive, very dynamic despite the 35 watts rating of the Lamm Monoblocks, and totally, as in totally transparent with incredible pinpoint imaging as well as SOLID instrumentation and vocalization by performers. Steve played for me a modern techno music cut which punched its way into my guts like I've never heard before. He also played a couple of Leonard Cohen songs that knocked my socks off, and the rocket experience for me was when Steve played a song by Anete Askvig which was absolutely the kind of music I listen to and that made my night. The next day Steve would play a tape of the RCA Witches Brew and that was impressive specially when Side 2 came. Dynamics, clarity, resolution and fidelity were among the best I have ever heard in a system anywhere. I then requested Steve to play 2 of my all-time favorite vinyl albums, Cantate Domino and a Nimbus remastered Dave Grusin Mountain Dance. The O Holy Night cut of Cantate flied sky high as the members of the choral group was literally pasted at the middle of the soundstage with incredible layering and tonal richness. My favorite cuts of Mountain Dance did not disappoint either, with rock solid images and staggering bass and drum whacks that would have dried my wet socks. Piano and keyboard tones were outstanding too. Steve narrated to me how the evolution of his listening room came about, with details of how it was built and professionally treated with acoustical drapes and floor 'sheets'. The result is a room that is fooling the speakers that it is bigger than what it actually is, as Steve pointed out, and that was what it was. To hear is to believe, and listening to Steve's system is the proof that hard work and dedication, together with passion, converts itself to gratification, in the realm of reproduced music. When the lights are out, the music plays, and everything is magical in Steve's system. Thank you very much Steve, for inviting me over to your home to experience all these, and your warm and tremendous hospitality (as well as Cathy's) for showing me and my daughter around Orange County. It is truly a memorable experience and will be hard to forget.

29549960_10209240306684803_1712368795_n.jpg

29345393_10209240303644727_890158973_n.jpg

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside

The Lamm phono and ARC CD 9 are to add some tube influence. I think that the necessary MIT cables are also a problem. I am not sure that I agree with you about Spectral and Wilson, although I prefer a warmer sound at this point.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I just came back from a 5 day Orange county vacation with my daughter in the lovely home of Steve and Cathy and I must say that my impression of this part of Southern California is gloriously sublime. In between, I listened to Steve's marvelous system for 3 different sessions, and Steve played me several tracks of CDs made specially by Philip O' Hanlon and a lot of these blew my away, with music I have never heard before but got me glued and asking for more. Steve's system as a whole struck me a very cohesive, very dynamic despite the 35 watts rating of the Lamm Monoblocks, and totally, as in totally transparent with incredible pinpoint imaging as well as SOLID instrumentation and vocalization by performers. Steve played for me a modern techno music cut which punched its way into my guts like I've never heard before. He also played a couple of Leonard Cohen songs that knocked my socks off, and the rocket experience for me was when Steve played a song by Anete Askvig which was absolutely the kind of music I listen to and that made my night. The next day Steve would play a tape of the RCA Witches Brew and that was impressive specially when Side 2 came. Dynamics, clarity, resolution and fidelity were among the best I have ever heard in a system anywhere. I then requested Steve to play 2 of my all-time favorite vinyl albums, Cantate Domino and a Nimbus remastered Dave Grusin Mountain Dance. The O Holy Night cut of Cantate flied sky high as the members of the choral group was literally pasted at the middle of the soundstage with incredible layering and tonal richness. My favorite cuts of Mountain Dance did not disappoint either, with rock solid images and staggering bass and drum whacks that would have dried my wet socks. Piano and keyboard tones were outstanding too. Steve narrated to me how the evolution of his listening room came about, with details of how it was built and professionally treated with acoustical drapes and floor 'sheets'. The result is a room that is fooling the speakers that it is bigger than what it actually is, as Steve pointed out, and that was what it was. To hear is to believe, and listening to Steve's system is the proof that hard work and dedication, together with passion, converts itself to gratification, in the realm of reproduced music. When the lights are out, the music plays, and everything is magical in Steve's system. Thank you very much Steve, for inviting me over to your home to experience all these, and your warm and tremendous hospitality (as well as Cathy's) for showing me and my daughter around Orange County. It is truly a memorable experience and will be hard to forget.

View attachment 39423

View attachment 39424
Phil, having just heard many of the same cuts on Steve's system, I totally agree with your assessment. The Leonard Cohen cuts truly impressed me.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Dear Sir,

I was thinking twice whether I should write this to you and possibly create even more variable. I too run MIT SHD full loom interconnects. Only this past week, my Italian big brother Gian sent me a pair of Kuro interconnect to try. This cable is not the same one as he is using in his system. I hooked them up from phono to pre. I thought the MIT SHD was really good in my all tube set up. I did compare the MIT with super expensive Siltech Tripple Crown, Goebel LaCord, Kubala Elation, Crystal TOL all in my own system, my friends and I thought the MIT edged them all in my system. But this Kuro is really my biggest finding in audio gear. It outclassed all the interconnects I just mentioned not just in some aspects but all aspects. So natural, dynamic, transparent and dense without loss in extensions. Music just pops out from quietness..naturally..not like artificial blackness in many uber cable. This Kuro is really a wild card. It is made of Silver1000 7N bathed twice in gold. It take a week to make a pair. And you know what? You don’t have to pay anywhere near $100K for interconnects for your whole system. I thought my system was good. Just a pair of this Kuro makes my system go beyond. You sure will see my system goes full loom with these Kuro.

Ps. I tried silver speaker cable with my Cessaro before and I took them off in a few hours. But this silver Kuro is just not in that generalization.

Kind regards,
Tang

FWIW I believe we have gotten Russ on the Master Built Ultra route which for my ears are the most amazing cables I have ever heard. I heard the KURO at Gian's last year when in Italy and they were very good indeed. I just truly prefer the MB Ultra as I have never heard such micro and macro details with any other cable as i do with my Ultra loom

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
FWIW I believe we have gotten Russ on the Master Built Ultra route which for my ears are the most amazing cables I have ever heard. I heard the KURO at Gian's last year when in Italy and they were very good indeed. I just truly prefer the MB Ultra as I have never heard such micro and macro details with any other cable as i do with my Ultra loom

Sorry Steve. I didn’t read the post thoroughly.

I deleted my post.

Kind regards,
Tang

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I will have to bring some vinyl over one day at listen, these moments, no matter the scale of the system are what its all about.
I would have to say you probably tweaked about the only thing I ever had reservations about, the bass.
I love bass, good clean low bass. Not boomy, just solid.
My conclusions have been that the obsession with a flat room makes for flat sound over all. I have heard it in many rooms.
When a kick drum kicks, I want to feel it in my body.
That being said when I am in the presence of systems of that magnitude of equipment and effort, I am there to enjoy the flavor, not criticize.
This has been my struggle, getting the bass I want in the sweet spot for everything else, not an easy objective.
I am glad you found that the system had more to give, its very rewarding.
Due to my room size, I ran a node calculator and sure as stuff the listening spot was in a huge node for four different frequency's. So I went unconventional and went diagonal so I sit in my chair towards one corner and face the opposite corner with the speakers on each side. My soundstage transformed and I got my bass. Diagonal in a small room like mine helps with reflections, for my system it was epic.
So congratulations on your discovery and look forward to sitting in the chair again someday.

My reference point, sitting in a 20x30 (if that) room with Billy Cobham on full kit for a couple hours.
Same room Chester Thompson full kit for a couple hours.
Standing on the drum riser 2 feet behind Mike Portnoy full kit as he rocked Erotomania
I want that, its hard to do.

Steve did you ever take the subs out of the room? I noticed they were still in there in the pics.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States

Steve
I may be wrong but when we were at Gian's last year, he was using Kuro power cords only. He was using MIT MA-X rev 3 between his tape deck and CH preamp, and CH interconnects and speaker cables for everything else. Gianluigi will hopefully confirm.
Marty

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey Mike, I’m disappointed in you .
No Neil Peart (NP) in front of you?
I’d want vintage Moving Pictures/Exit...Stage Left NP 1981 Tama Superstar Rosewood kit, Signals NP 1982 Red Artstar kit, Hold Your Fire NP 1987 White Ludwig kit.
Any will do.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Hi Marty
When you and Steve visited me I had
Kuro copper from Bergmann to phono
Mit MA X Rev 2 between phono and pre and CH between pre and amp and CH speaker cable
From tape to pre I have a cable very cheap of 300 euro long 4 mt
Ciao
Gianluigi

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Hey Mike, I’m disappointed in you ??.
No Neil Peart (NP) in front of you?
I’d want vintage Moving Pictures/Exit...Stage Left NP 1981 Tama Superstar Rosewood kit, Signals NP 1982 Red Artstar kit, Hold Your Fire NP 1987 White Ludwig kit.
Any will do.

At the time he didn't live in Los Angeles, or it would have happened.
You can also add Chad Wackerman to that list.
NP Time Machine Drum Kit the most stunning ever of all!
He did however show up at Jazz clubs unannounced and play and i never got lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time.
Trust me it was not for lack of trying!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing