Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I don't think that one is digitally recorded/mastered.

That would explain a lot--:D

IMO, this is one of the greatest rock LP's...and superbly recorded to boot.
BTW, talking of well recorded digital LP's...anyone else like the Andreas Vollenweider LP's? Again, IMHO, some of his stuff is near to demo quality.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

BTW, talking of well recorded digital LP's...anyone else like the Andreas Vollenweider LP's? Again, IMHO, some of his stuff is near to demo quality.

I have a few of his on CD. Which ones are your favorites Davey

BTW I found a NIB Sealed Love Over Gold at Acoustic Sounds

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have a few of his on CD. Which ones are your favorites Davey

BTW I found a NIB Sealed Love Over Gold at Acoustic Sounds

Steve, I think they are all good....
perhaps in this order
1) White Winds
2) Down to the Moon
3) Caverna Magica...ok put this one at #1 --no problem:D
4) Behind the gardens, Below the wall and Under the tree.

As to the LOG LP, I think the original Warner Bros pressing is the one on HP's list, and the one that I own. ( Easy to source). I have not heard the Acoustic Sounds reissue....I would imagine it is excellent as well.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Steve....the Amused to Death SACD recent release, even on disc is the best I've heard this album to date; they did an amazing job with this....

Last edited:

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)

I no have LPs of anything (house flood back in the 90s took out an LP collection, turntable, etc...and broke my heart) but I've been a fan of Vollenweider since about 1986 when a friend turned me on to "WHITE WINDS", still one of his all time great albums. Other favorites and amazing demo stock are "CAVERNA MAGICA", "BEHIND THE GARDENS", "DANCING WITH THE LION", and "DOWN TO THE MOON".

While we are on this subject, is anybody a fan of OYSTEIN SEVAG??? I ran across "GLOBAL HOUSE" in the late 90s or so in a bargain bin, loved the album art (front and back in particular) and bought it for $5. What an amazing album musically, and sonically very demanding, and a jewel to demo/really test a system and how it renders music. With the advent of Amazon, etc...many people have discovered his music outside of Northern Europe. Track 2 "Global House" in particular has dijeridoo that starts 6 feet to the left and rear of the left speaker and pans all the way across the stage then goes back and then is joined by other dijeridoo on the right,...prodigious bass output, harmonics and a very hot recording that on lesser systems can come off grainy. Every track has something special from a demo perspective whether it's the crashing thunderstorm or "dancing piano" on "Thundernight" to any of the other interesting music on the album. Highly recommend checking this and other albums by Sevag out.

Patrick O'Hearn is another "different type of music..." favorite; anyone grabbed any of his work? Great demo material as well as fine music on many of his albums....

Steve Williams

Patrick O'Hearn is another "different type of music..." favorite; anyone grabbed any of his work? Great demo material as well as fine music on many of his albums....

I have several CD's of his but no vinyl

Steve Williams

I have owned this album on Cd for at least 25 years but never heard it as I did 2 weeks ago at Martys when I visited. So much so that I bought the album as well as 6-7 others that I heard at his house. This record however is so superbly recorded that I didn't budge start to finish. Definitely will give your system a work out

image.jpg

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Steve, here are a few more to add to your collection...1) th-1.jpeg 2) th.jpeg 3) th-2.jpeg 4) th-4.jpeg 5) th-3.jpeg

There are several other excellent shaded dogs...but these are a good start. As usual, the lower the pressing # the better the sound ( usually:D).

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I have owned this album on Cd for at least 25 years but never heard it as I did 2 weeks ago at Martys when I visited. So much so that I bought the album as well as 6-7 others that I heard at his house. This record however is so superbly recorded that I didn't budge start to finish. Definitely will give your system a work out

View attachment 27761

One of my very favorite classical pieces. First heard the Emerson Lake & Palmer version when I was an early teenager on my $25 record player in the basement bedroom of my foster home. Played the hell out of that LP. The latest Analog Porductions pressing you show sounds terrific.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
...Patrick O'Hearn is another "different type of music..." favorite; anyone grabbed any of his work? Great demo material as well as fine music on many of his albums....

And even more "different" if you listen to the music of his groups before he went solo! Sheik Yerbouti.jpg Spring Session M.jpg

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
One of my very favorite classical pieces. First heard the Emerson Lake & Palmer version when I was an early teenager on my $25 record player in the basement bedroom of my foster home. Played the hell out of that LP. The latest Analog Porductions pressing you show sounds terrific.

Hahahaha Cool! Now you made me feel adequate again! I thought I was the only audiophile that got introduced to that piece via prog/ELP! :)

Funny that just yesterday I was playing Janacek's Sinfonietta (w/ Seiji Ozawa/Chicago Symphony), and that's another piece Keith Emerson lifted for ELP's repertoire!

Steve Williams

I have two versions of Scherezade until this one which I also heard last week at Martys house. Specifically Marty played the final movement on side B. I bought this version and received it yesterday along with a few others. This record is superbly recorded. As many times as I have heard Scherezade this is probably the best version I own. Definitely recommended

image.jpg

Steve Williams

Dead Can Dance, Into the Labyrinth has always been a fun album to listen to. I have always liked the first three tracks of the album. I had never heard it on vinyl but fast became a fan of the MoFi version which I heard also at Marty's house brought by Myles that evening. I was shocked that the vinyl version had probably a full octave lower than the CD version. Needless to say, I bought it and listened this afternoon. What an experience. Thanks Myles. :)

IMG_4636.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing