Zero One Ti48 Server

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Has anyone actually heard this (or heard anything about it) besides the 2 reviews (Stereo Times and 6 Moons)? apparently, a self-contained server that burns 1:1 archival quality onto a 750gb hard drive...totally self-contained...no need for internet or wifi hookups. built-in, update-able database of 2M CD titles for track information. i am not personally a fan of buying a server...then having to buy separate monitors, remote controllers, usb to spdif converter/adaptors, keyboards...and then trying to hook up to in-home network servers (mine has a tendency to go down anyway). I am looking for high-quality server that is truly self-contained and can compete with high-end transports like Zanden, MBL, Esoteric. I currently have a Zanden DAC and am currently expecting to wait a bit until the server tech/user-interface has matured a bit.

Any advice on the Zero One is appreciated...or any other servers (Nova Physics?) that fit the description above.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
yes, i agree. i just do not know how. i could not find a way to categorize this thread...i just managed to find a way to post a thread. sorry. only 2nd time.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hah! Thank you!

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
I had a music server for about a year: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HiFidelio/intro.htm

At that time the concept appealed to me.
Today I wonder what can this boxes do better than a PC?
I’m afraid nothing.
A very tiny interface, not exactly giving you a good overview of your collection
FreeDB, not bad but a bit of a chaos.
If your CD is not recognized then what can you do to correct this?
What can you do to correct wrong tagged albums?
What is the quality of the sound card they are using?
Etc, etc

A couple of criteria to concider can be found here: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/HD_players.html

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
I had a music server for about a year:

At that time the concept appealed to me.
Today I wonder what can this boxes do better than a PC?
I’m afraid nothing.

A couple of criteria to concider can be found here: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/HD_players.html

Good advice in this post and good advice in the linked article. I especially liked the line
"This are stationary iPod's." This is a very good characterization in a number of ways.

- Many non-audiophiles would consider an iPod a satisfactory music server in their home. Just provide a power hookup and a connection to amp/speakers.

- Some of those non-audiophiles don't have an audio system of the traditional sort at all. Many never will. They might acquire 3 boxes: left and right speakers and a box with the electronics.

- Why shouldn't a better sounding music server be only a bit more expensive and a bit larger than an iPod?

- Buying and using an iPod isn't a heroic enterprise. Why shouldn't buying a better sounding music server be almost as easy?

When I do a weekly backup of my MusicPC and our personal PCs, I marvel that my entire music collection is on a single 1.5 TB 3.5" hard drive along with all our other computer files. The music collection would fit on a single 1 TB 2.5" drive at present. (I am still buying CDs though.) I keep thinking that when I implement the next MusicPC this summer, I should make it much smaller, much simpler to use and maybe somewhat cheaper. That is the way technology should go.

Bill

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for that. still looking for a server that really rivals the best transports. i have heard the wadia docks, the Uvem (effectively Chord) and the QSonix...and none compared to high quality transports using the same DAC in the same system. i wish they would! The Metronome Kalista, Zanden 2000P, Esoteric X-01SE...they were in a different class to these ears and those in the room. Not close...i really wanted them to be. patience!

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
My mind isn't made up

Nice cliff hanger
What do you have in mind Bill?

I haven't settled on one architecture or implementation yet. MY current MusicPC does what I need, audio output sounds good and the system is quite trouble free. I'm way too happy with my current setup to be a real audiophile.

For the replacement MusicPC, I need output to 3 rooms - preferably independent streams - as I have now.. I want less noise than my current barely audible MusicPC. Power consumption at idle should be less than 30 watts. 20 watts would be better. I need storage for 700 GB of music files now and perhaps 1.2 GB eventually.

A minimum space solution might be:

- 1 TB 2.5" internal HD (replace with a 1.5 TB drive when they become available at ~ $ 100.)
- custom case I design myself - a mini-tower rather than a horizontal HTPC style cabinet.
- Mini-ITX motherboard with Sandy Bridge chipset and a 2 core Sandy Bridge CPU
- Win XP or Win 7 (I have two unused copies of Win XP pro on the shelf)
- SSD boot drive (if Win 7) or 2.5" laptop drive (if XP)
- PC Pico power supply and power brick
(It's hard to get 80+% efficiency at 20-30 watts from an ATX form factor power supply)

- ESI Juli@ for both analog output and Toslink output (Get 2 streams from one PCI slot.)
- TC Electronic BMC-2 (I think SPDIF for output is stupid but this is only $ 300 worth of stupid.)
- Audioengine AW1 wireless-DAC (I use it now) or J. River Id DLNA device
(either provides cheap solution for my 3rd room.)

- J. River media Center 16 will still be my ripper/ tag editor/ music player

A utility solution might have a uATX motherboard with 2 or 3 PCI slots, a 3.5" eSata hard drive and an Antec solo case.

One of these days maybe I'll get a DAC with some high-end credibility. Strangely, good recordings sound really good from the Juli@ soundcard's analog output to my powered Audioengine A5s. I'm not suffering. DSLR camera gear seems like a better use of money now than a fancy DAC.

Bill

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow...as a non-tech guy, seems complicated but presumably very open to future music upgrades which is the point. enjoy and thanks for sharing!

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
Wow...as a non-tech guy, seems complicated but presumably very open to future music upgrades which is the point. enjoy and thanks for sharing!

Actually assembling a PC from parts isn't hard. Building your own PC does require some consumer research to pick the right parts. I like learning things. I like feeling that I spent money wisely. I like having control of more of my life as opposed to less. I really like living with a personal environment I chose.

What I get from building a MusicPC is lower noise (sound from the PC running) and better quality power (low ripple and steady voltages). Low power usage is another plus.

The big question is

Should I go for a minimum space PC which fits some audio architectures or should I stay with a larger PC that allows for a wider variety of audio architectures.

Bill

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
i say go for Variety. If there is one thing i suspect about digital server architecture for the moment...its that variety/optionality in archtiecture are probably going to be frequently used/upgraded/adjusted over the coming months/quarters/years until the technology "recipe" settles down. good luck!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing