65.8 KB · Views: 356
  • Brinkmann.JPG
    Brinkmann.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 351

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Ked,

great write-up with helpful music references on some top flight gear. and unlike a show, the system and room are settled (other than throwing the other speakers into it).

thanks.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked,

great write-up with helpful music references on some top flight gear. and unlike a show, the system and room are settled (other than throwing the other speakers into it).

thanks.

Just throwing micro off track with the music;). He likes to play this nail down the writer through reading the recordings game.

Lots of tonal signature similar to yours. Did you have any experience with the FM?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Just throwing micro off track with the music;). He likes to play this nail down the writer through reading the recordings game.

Lots of tonal signature similar to yours. Did you have any experience with the FM?

just occasionally at audio shows. I've liked, but not loved, systems with FM Acoustics electronics. but audio shows are not the best place to hear their best. so system synergy related.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nice write-up Ked. I have heard quite a few good demos with Brinkmann TTs as the source. The Brinkmann DDs are also quite good sounding. Was that FM phonostage the one with the click/Pop remover?? How they do that with analog is borderline black magic...

I think this has the remover. Good to know about the DDs

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
just occasionally at audio shows. I've liked, but not loved, systems with FM Acoustics electronics. but audio shows are not the best place to hear their best. so system synergy related.

Have to agree; however, like you I have only heard them under show conditions. Still it was better than most of the other SS rooms I have to say. I think their phonostage is probably at the very top of SS phonostages, along with perhaps the Robert Koda and the now discontinued Lyra... Tube phonostages are another story...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I did not like their room in Munich last two years but I walked out mainly because I could not understand anything in that room, especially with them playing their own music as they had a structured demo. On SS phonos, Vitus has a great rep but 60k or so. I loved the Lyra phono that Perart1 has, preferred it with the XV-1s much more to his AN IO into Tron reference (he likes both).

My top tube phono right now is Allnic, but only with the recti rolled. Stock is pretty poor.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Those Jadis are cool looking...kind of like baby Eurythmies!! Ever heard that horn speaker from Jadis? Would be on my final speaker potential list...

No I want to. I wanted to listen to this as well, couldn't.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Just throwing micro off track with the music;(...)

Not enough, but I appreciate your effort ... :) Great report on the gear and Audio Art, thanks!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Those Jadis are cool looking...kind of like baby Eurythmies!! Ever heard that horn speaker from Jadis? Would be on my final speaker potential list...

Never listened to it, but the reports I read in french were extremely divergent - some people really loved it, others said it sounded horrible! The model is the Eurythmie 8.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
really nice writeup, Ked. I love the looks of those Stenheims.

i heard FMA last time on Polymer speakers which I found to have significant issues, but others seemed to really enjoy.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I did not like their room in Munich last two years but I walked out mainly because I could not understand anything in that room, especially with them playing their own music as they had a structured demo. On SS phonos, Vitus has a great rep but 60k or so. I loved the Lyra that Perart1 has, preferred it with the XV-1s much more to his AN IO into Tron reference (he likes both).

My top tube phono right now is Allnic, but only with the recti rolled. Stock is pretty poor.

I am a big fan of K.S. Park...I love my Silvaweld to death! My colleague has the lower middle Allnic (1500 I think is the model) and it is also very good. Would love to hear the DHT version someday.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
" We also played around withe Schnerzinger tweaks, and when you turn them on, the highs go up, cleaner, and soundstage is more coherent. When you turn it off, it seems to collapse."

So, you heard the tweaks.

The Zellaton is outstanding. Room and setting is crucial. Audio Art must be very professional to get the sound you hear. My agent is a dealer for both Zellaton and Cessaro. He is still trying to get the bass right. I heard both and had an opportunity to choose.

Tang:)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Found an old thread on the gon from maybe 10+ years ago where Mike L said that Herve used the FM as a compare while voicing his Darts.

Also, GregM on the gon seems to have had a lot of expertise with FM and various other electronics for well over a decade, loves it. Coincidentally enough, the other amp he recommends is the Symphonic Line Kraft, which was on the top of my list for Apogees (Caesar uses these for his MBLs)

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I need to borrow those lil FM monos and pre. The FM dealer actually offered me several times to bring them to my listening room ... I just didn't had the time then. I have to revive the idea.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Please do. See if you can try the more powerful amps

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) My top tube phono right now is Allnic, but only with the recti rolled. Stock is pretty poor.

Did you try just replacing the stock rectifier with a new stock rectifier?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing