Yter Flexum Acoustic Panel

Ron Resnick

Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 25, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Does anyone use these interesting acoustic panels from Yter?

How do they compare to SMT V-Wings?

Flexum.jpg

From the Yter website:

Ambient friendly acoustical enhancer.

Flexum improves your listening pleasure by an optimal redistribution of reflections.

The wavetrap geometry nature of Flexum cancels negative sonic signatures in architectural spaces.

A sculpture for Music, a sculpture of Music.... The Flexum "equalizes" when properly located in the room the frequency response balance, in a natural way, avoiding the "dead" sound of most of the usual room treatments. The inspiration of the acoustic performance of the Flexum comes from the acoustics of the Arcadia Theatres in the Area of Venice, wich have excellent acoustics despite not having any "visible" means of obtaining this except the artful use of wood...

Experimenting with the correct placement of the Flexum is a must, the ear being the last judge for the best location.

http://www.laboratorium-yter.com/en/soluzione.html

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You mean these? I thought I recognized those from earlier today! ;)

Gryphon System!.jpeg

Ron Resnick

Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 25, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes, Flexums are in that listening room.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
I'm sure it might do *something* to change the sound bouncing around, but I don't see anything suggesting an ability for significant diffusion or other desired acoustic attributes. The curved face will scatter a very limited bandwidth, and there may be some wider admittance of sound through the slots, but they appear to narrow to present more than a somewhat lossy surface. Maybe there's something more interesting going on in the middle chambers, but their references to inspiration suggest they are just mathematically related chamber sizes to trap and re-radiate sound.

They look rather cool, and I'm sure can be used to change sound by creating a unique reflector at some places, but I'm highly skeptical of these qualifying as a functional acoustic diffusor or absorber.

Ron Resnick

Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 25, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Mark.

My friend will be using them at the first reflection points. We will see what he thinks.