You need to try this!

Jul 27, 2015
I was messing around the other night and decided to put a capacitor between my phonostage bindingpost and the tonearm earthlead....... WOW i have no idea what was going on but the difference was not subtle. Soundstage got bigger Low frequencys improved. I dont know whether i was picking up RF or something else. I can`t advise you on what value cap to use, as i am still experimenting. For the cost you have to give this a go....

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2015
BTW you dont need to solder. For testing you can just wrap the ends around the spade of the lead and the bindingpost

Jul 27, 2015
Grounded to grounded through cap.....

I definitely feel it cleans up the groundplane...

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2010
Seattle, WA
So that would make them coupled at higher frequencies but not low. Plausible that it would make such a difference depending on the equipment in use. :)

Jul 27, 2015
I am sure all tweaks like this are system dependent. It would be intersting to see if anyone hears the same improvement in their System though....

Jul 27, 2015
Phonostages are by nature suscetible to noise and humm. One of the defining qualitys of a good phonostage is the absence of noise. Less noise is always better. I did not suffer from any noticeable noise or humm before this experiment. This is why i would be intersted if anyone else notices any difference at all.

What type and value of cap did you use?

Jul 27, 2015
It was a film foil cap used for crossovers like 150pf.....

Last edited: