Will New Grounding Technology Benefit Digital or Analog More

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I was thinking about this and given the different SNR's for record cutting (-70db) Master Tape (-70+db) and digital (-90+db). If increased grounding lowers the system noise floor and I know it does. Given the dynamic range capability of digital shouldn't digital have the capability to reproduce the event more faithfully?

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
That's a lot of assumptions in only three sentences.
Good grounding has been around for decades, why would you think that there is any new 'grounding technology' ?
SNR's in record cutting and tape masters is not about grounding. It's about the limits of vinyl and magnetic tape.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
That's a lot of assumptions in only three sentences.
Good grounding has been around for decades, why would you think that there is any new 'grounding technology' ?
SNR's in record cutting and tape masters is not about grounding. It's about the limits of vinyl and magnetic tape.

SOS get a clue.....

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I was thinking about this and given the different SNR's for record cutting (-70db) Master Tape (-70+db) and digital (-90+db). If increased grounding lowers the system noise floor and I know it does. Given the dynamic range capability of digital shouldn't digital have the capability to reproduce the event more faithfully?

I also see many assumptions being made: a) "increased grounding" should rather be "proper grounding"; b) the "dynamic capability of digital" - which digital; and many believe the direct-to-disc LP is more dynamic than redbook.

Overall, proper grounding will benefit everything, to one degree or another.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

What is new grounding tech, the cat litter boxes? That's the new con, not new tech! What ack said, what do you mean by increased grounding? There are times that floating the ground will give the best results.

david

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
.................... b) the "dynamic capability of digital" - which digital; and many believe the direct-to-disc LP is more dynamic than redbook.
direct-to-disc LP, I remember being there for the setup of a Telarc recording. (not at the actual recording) but I was told that it was a real pain.
Anyway a phono playback pre-amp's SNR won't come close to a CD. For an entire vinyl record/playback system, not in the same ballpark.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
What is new grounding tech, the cat litter boxes? That's the new con, not new tech! What ack said, what do you mean by increased grounding? There are times that floating the ground will give the best results.

david

Maybe you might learn something...heh....oh I forgot there is nothing new in audio. The truth is your beloved TT is outdated and so are my RTR's relics of the past.

I find it funny that I'm the only one on WBF that has experimented with chassis grounding and signal grounding since 2013 and I have no credibility on the subject,but you and others do....don't show your ignorance or is it just being a snob.

Again digital has a lower noise floor than any record cutter or master recorder. If it doesn't fulfill it's design and engineering ability of having a SNR lower than it's analog cousins...why not?

The answer is.....current noise reduction. Now a analog record cutter has a SNR of 70 db down, a original lacquer master will sound like the master tape. In the audio chain you have first pressings,and lower quality generations and the same goes for tape.

Digital does away with that problem because the digital master will not degrade with a digital copy.

So on the playback side there is the turntable assembly,pick up,preamp ect. and RTR aren't much different. The SNR is still not comparable with the digital conversion.

Digital will reveal more information than the analog medium and if it doesn't that is not the fault of the digital system it is because the internal SNR is compromised.

Grounding devises do and will improve digital sound quality past any analog system....it has to.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Maybe you might learn something...heh....oh I forgot there is nothing new in audio. The truth is your beloved TT is outdated and so are my RTR's relics of the past.

I find it funny that I'm the only one on WBF that has experimented with chassis grounding and signal grounding since 2013 and I have no credibility on the subject,but you and others do....don't show your ignorance or is it just being a snob.

Let's not go there Bruce because if you want to talk ignorance, chassis grounding been around for decades a lot longer than 2013! What do you think we did years ago when there was no ground in the outlets? You should know you're grounding the signal whenever you connect two components or do you believe that you pioneered it in 2013 too :D? Now where's that new tech that you mentioned?

Again digital has a lower noise floor than any record cutter or master recorder. If it doesn't fulfill it's design and engineering ability of having a SNR lower than it's analog cousins...why not?

The answer is.....current noise reduction. Now a analog record cutter has a SNR of 70 db down, a original lacquer master will sound like the master tape. In the audio chain you have first pressings,and lower quality generations and the same goes for tape.

Digital does away with that problem because the digital master will not degrade with a digital copy.

So on the playback side there is the turntable assembly,pick up,preamp ect. and RTR aren't much different. The SNR is still not comparable with the digital conversion.

Digital will reveal more information than the analog medium and if it doesn't that is not the fault of the digital system it is because the internal SNR is compromised.

Grounding devises do and will improve digital sound quality past any analog system....it has to.

You know it all already Roger, nothing to discuss but just for the record how records have you cut and on what machines?

david

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Ralph Morrison wrote a very nice chapter on audio system grounding about two decades ago.
It's all about good engineering practice.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
If you take one of those 'grounding boxes' and fill it with a solid block of copper and then connect all your audio components to that one box, it will work.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I also see many assumptions being made: a) "increased grounding" should rather be "proper grounding"; b) the "dynamic capability of digital" - which digital; and many believe the direct-to-disc LP is more dynamic than redbook.

Overall, proper grounding will benefit everything, to one degree or another.

Sorry, "increased grounding", "proper grounding", what does it mean? Can you translate it in a graph of impedance versus frequency between your system and mother earth?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ralph Morrison wrote a very nice chapter on audio system grounding about two decades ago.
It's all about good engineering practice.

Yes, but our main problem is that some of the best sounding electronic equipment does not follow his recommendations and people want to use it.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I knew this was going to be a dead end....just human nature. Some are just not open to change. They can't imagine that something so simple executed to a higher level could have such a profound effect on the status quo.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
I agree with Roger above; digital has recently taken a huge step up in my system here with tha addition of a new balanced output power supply system that has seperate 120-0-120 transformer for digital, analogue source and gain stages, so 3 isolating balanced supplies all earthed to a common rail. Even just using a modest Esoteric K-07 as transport and a Concert Fidelity DAC040 (non battery version), digital is shockingly good, and this is redbook-16bit. Without the power supply, it sounds like nice digital, no more. The difference has made it clear that if you want to hear digital at it's potential, you MUST look beyond the player/DAC etc to the isolated power supply with the centre tap to earth. For context, I have an MBL 1621a and Concert Fidelity DAC040 BD (battery Drive) sat in my hallway outside of my music room, such is the completeness that the K-07/DAC040 is already producing.

In short, the better the IMPLEMENTATION of ground/earth with digital, the better the sound.

Best rgds,
Paul.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I knew this was going to be a dead end....just human nature. Some are just not open to change. They can't imagine that something so simple executed to a higher level could have such a profound effect on the status quo.

What simple thing is executed to a higher level? Status quo? Not being sarcastic but I'm still waiting for you to tell us what you're talking about.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I agree with Roger above; digital has recently taken a huge step up in my system here with tha addition of a new balanced output power supply system that has seperate 120-0-120 transformer for digital, analogue source and gain stages, so 3 isolating balanced supplies all earthed to a common rail. Even just using a modest Esoteric K-07 as transport and a Concert Fidelity DAC040 (non battery version), digital is shockingly good, and this is redbook-16bit. Without the power supply, it sounds like nice digital, no more. The difference has made it clear that if you want to hear digital at it's potential, you MUST look beyond the player/DAC etc to the isolated power supply with the centre tap to earth. For context, I have an MBL 1621a and Concert Fidelity DAC040 BD (battery Drive) sat in my hallway outside of my music room, such is the completeness that the K-07/DAC040 is already producing.

In short, the better the IMPLEMENTATION of ground/earth with digital, the better the sound.

Best rgds,
Paul.

Nobody's arguing the affects of ground on sound both digital and analog but where's the new technology?

david

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Nobody's arguing the affects of ground on sound both digital and analog but where's the new technology?

david

david there are several threads started with many pages of comments on external signal and chassis grounding devices. I know there will be a new extreme grounding device offered soon. I have already placed a order,as my experimental configuration has run it's course. This new device I believe will enable this concept to be taken to a maximum level. It 's design was inspired partially by my work...I know it will be a killer product.

I am passionate about this topic....I apologize if I came off rudely.

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
david there are several threads started with many pages of comments on external signal and chassis grounding devices. I know there will be a new extreme grounding device offered soon. I have already placed a order,as my experimental configuration has run it's course. This new device I believe will enable this concept to be taken to a maximum level. It 's design was inspired partially by my work...I know it will be a killer product.

I am passionate about this topic....I apologize if I came off rudely.

No worries Roger :)!

As far as passionate and extreme goes with grounding I'm right up there with you so are a few of my buddies, this is only one of 4 different ground networks that I've installed in my home and my friends have other ones. What I was pointing out is that there's nothing new here wether it's in a box or out there in the field, just gotta figure out what sounds and works best for you.

_DSF7929.jpg

2.jpg

Enjoy!

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing