Who has multiple TTs?`

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
DDk aside, obviously. Who else has multiple TTs connected to the same phono, or maybe two phonos, multiple tonearms or cartridges that allow some comparison between different types or price levels?

Thanks

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I have multiple tables.

TW Acoustic AC-3 - generally has the Atlas on it, sometimes Denon DL-s1 or ortofon A90
Pioneer Exclusive P3 - generally has XV-1s, Lyra Delos or Technics EPC-1000 Mk4
Pioneer Exclusive P10 - MM carts, Ortofon SPU Classic E or Royal and denon esc denon 103r
Linn Sondek LP12 - generally has Linn Troika
Pioneer PLX-1000 - has AT AT25 or other MM's. will try the Lyra delos on day

Hooked up to either SS or tube with additional inputs taken care of with Dieter Uni input - can run all 5 tables from either tube or SS or combo of both.

Great fun playing with different tables and cartridges.

20368655603_a81d58878a_b.jpg

Reactions: gestalt

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I have 2 dps turntables, one with the regular motor, and the other one with the 3 phase motor.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Not as multi as Shane but I have 2 TTs hooked to the same phono stage. A Garrard 401 with a Atlas on a 12"Ortofon 309D arm and a TW AC 3 modded all the way to BN status minus the platter and feet. The TW has a Lyra Etna mounted on a Durand Talea 2. Do intend to post my impressions on the idler vs belt thread that ddk started.
Pradeep

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
I don't advocate multiple turntables.

In my experience it's better to stick with just one with multiple arms going into phonostage with multiple inputs instead.

At the risk of sounding like a scratched record, in my experience, additional TTs in the near proximity tend to exert magnetic field interference over the whole system thereby degrading it's sonic performance.

When I removed the gyro's motor away from my system, the sound is audibly more opened.
When I removed the whole gyro, the degree of sonic improvements went up another level.
The same thing happens when I remove the digital combo.

As an experiment, I tried the same on several systems in different places, removing metallic objects progressively from these systems, one at a time, or several pieces at a time.
I (and my friends too) hear the same effect at their respective rooms.

So, these days I'll usually stick to one source at a time if listening critically.

I haven't experimented with placing offending metallic objects at varying distances from the main systems, but in some discussion with a Danish manufacturer, his experience is around two meters for magnetic interference not to audibly affect nearby electronics/wiring/cartridges.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I used to (in the same system) but I ran out of rack space so I just stuck with the one I use 95% of the time anyway. I didn't sell my other tables. One will go to my daughter who now buys her own LPs and the other will go to another system.

Benanton

May 1, 2015
Three tables. Why? No rational reason I suppose, I just like them! All sound great and all sound different. TD-124/Ortofon AS-212S, Merrill-Williams 101.2/Tri-planar, Garrard 301/Schick (awaiting two arm plinth which I'll add a 3012R to).

image.jpg

Reactions: Scott Naylor

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi, are you located in the EU? I like Thomas Schick stuff

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Three tables. Why? No rational reason I suppose, I just like them! All sound great and all sound different. TD-124/Ortofon AS-212S, Merrill-Williams 101.2/Tri-planar, Garrard 301/Schick (awaiting two arm plinth which I'll add a 3012R to).

View attachment 25025

I like the look of those single driver speakers (denotes phase coherency) and those wooden stands (no magnetic field interference)

:D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bump. Reminder to update

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Kuzma Stabi M, 11" 4-point with sapphire cups and Kondo wire
Brinkman Bardo, 11" 4-point with metal cups and standard wire

I've compared them side by side, moving the same pre-mounted cartridge back and forth. The difference then being the tonearm wire and pivot cups, along with the TTs themselves.

Reactions: No Regrets

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
Artemis SA-1 with Schröder Referance and Ortofon SPU Royal N into Naim superline/supercap.

Townshend Rock 2 with Naim Aro and mono London Decca Maroon into Naim Stageline N powered from the preamp.

The Artemis was meant to replace the Rock, which I’ve had since 1990 or so, but I thought I’d give dedicated mono a try instead of selling it on.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
I have 2 normally and 3 when I have the need. Not for comparison. One for stereo and one for a dedicated mono system.

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Kuzma Stabi M, 11" 4-point with sapphire cups and Kondo wire
Brinkman Bardo, 11" 4-point with metal cups and standard wire

I've compared them side by side, moving the same pre-mounted cartridge back and forth. The difference then being the tonearm wire and pivot cups, along with the TTs themselves.
Two very highly regarded analog systems. I bet that was an excellent and fun comparison! Would you be willing to share any impressions that you may have garnered from the comparisons.

Thank you and best wishes,
Don

Reactions: bazelio

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
I have two on a full time basis, a SOTA Millennia with the Eclipse mag lev and road runner upgrade. This table has a SME V with a Koetsu Rosewood Signature for the stereo side. I use a SOTA Nova with the Eclipse mag lev and road runner upgrade. A SME IV.Vi with an Ortofon Cadenza as a dedicated Mono TT. Occasionally I'll plug in my old Thorens TD125 just to play with.

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
I’ve got a few going, in no order of preference: a Teres 340 without a tonearm currently. The tonearm it used to have is a Schroeder Reference sporting an Allaerts MC-1b, which now lives on a slate-plinthed Lenco L75/PTP 6, which also has a Bokrand 12” arm with an Ortofon SPU (GE mk2). The third deck is a very very early Thorens TD 124, fully and beautifully restored by Greg Metz at STS Turntables in Tennessee. The Thorens sits on a DAS Macassar Ebony plinth, on Gaia III footers. The arms are: SME 3009 Series 2 unimproved (but magnificently restored by Alfred Kayser at SME Tonearms in Ontario) with a Shure V15 iii, on an Audio Silente graphite armboard; a Signet xk50 arm with a Signet TK10ea cartridge, also on an Audio Silente graphite armboard; an Infinity Black Widow with graphite arm tube carrying a Micro Acoustics 3002 cartridge with a sapphire cantilever and Fritz Geiger diamond, rebuilt by Joseph Long, on an acrylic armboard; and a restored Grado Lab series wood arm with a Shure M3D cartridge with original stylus on a plywood armboard. It’s been so much fun figuring out the best combinations af drive systems, arms and cartridges (and armboards too), but i think my wife is on to me. She’s figured out that the Teres is armless, so wonders when i’ll sell it (nooooooo!!!!!!!not the teres!!!!!!). Wait til she learns i’m hunting for a 301. I’ll be finished…

Republicoftexas69

I have 2 Thorens TD145 and a Clearaudio Concept.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing