Which headamp for HE 1000 V2 ?

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore
Hello all. I'm looking for a good headphone amp in the price range 2000/4000. My present setup is : HE1000 V2/Ultrasone 10/ Fostex TH900. My headamp is a Cavalli Liquid Glass. I find it nice with the TH900 and the Ultrasone, but really flat and lacking for the Hifiman.
Any suggestion ? Some spoke to me highly about the Tsakiridis Achilles (which is not a dedicated headphone amp.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
FWIW, when I was reading about the EAR Yoshino HP4 (for different headphones), I came across this and dug it back up...different Hifman headphone but same family.

"I had planned on comparing these amps paired with the [HiFiMAN] HE-6. Here is a rough draft:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

The [HeadAmp] GS-X [mk2] produced a smooth and well-articulated sound with silky transients and plenty of inner details with nary a trace of sibilance, hardness or glare. The feathery light and silky smooth transients of the GS-X Mk2 must be heard to be believed. The focus and imaging is very natural (neither forward nor recessed) and the soundstage was the largest I ever heard from the HD800 and HE-6 endowing the sound with the presence, air and layers of live music. The bass was tight and solid with tremendous impact. The greatest strength of the GS-X Mk2 is its ability to perform well with all kinds of headphones and all kinds of music.

With the Bakoon [Products] H[P]A-21, the HE-6 sounded remarkably free as well of the hardness and glare often heard with other amps. There was plenty of bass with the HE-6 for Jazz and classical music, but I wished for a tad more impact here with rock music—this was a real surprise for a solid-state design; perhaps a bigger power supply is needed here but that may be quibbling. Where the Bakoon truly excelled was in the warm but also vividly detailed midrange. This is an uncanny sound quality that I have not heard from any other amps. If you like to hear warm vocals with vivid and rich details and smooth transients (guitars, violins…), this amp is ideal for you. The excellent way the Bakoon rendered female voices in particular is entrancing.

The Woo [Audio] WA5 delivered a smooth midrange with outstanding presence thanks to a forward imaging and very tight focus. This sound was remarkably free of the hardness or glare usually associated with the HE-6. The bass, at once tight and weighty, a rare combination, was delivered with an authority that will rock your socks off. This was truly a match made in heaven for rock. Jazz- and Chamber-Music lovers will have much to like about the HE-6/Woo WA5 pairing as well. (upgraded parts + $1500 for Upgraded Royal Princess 300B tube and Princess 274B rectifier Tubes)

With the EAR [Yoshino HP4], the HE-6 also produced a musical sound free of hardness and glare. The focus of the HE-6, typically a little fuzzy, became pin-point sharp here; the center image was also pushed a little forward to give a greater presence to vocals, similar to the beautiful results with the Woo WA5. In general, there was also increased air around the instruments and enlarged soundstage to improve the 3-D illusion. Surprisingly for tube design, while the bass was well controlled (read tight), very dynamic and perfect for classical music, it was not ideal for rock where a bid less control and perhaps more weight (mid-bass bloom) is desirable. Overall, the sound was detailed and dynamic, but also so open and relaxed that I frequently forgot to focus on it and was simply enjoyed the music. That’s the ultimate compliment I can give for an audio gear."

Reactions: Alrainbow and kantx

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore
FWIW, when I was reading about the EAR Yoshino HP4 (for different headphones), I came across this and dug it back up...different Hifman headphone but same family.

"I had planned on comparing these amps paired with the [HiFiMAN] HE-6. Here is a rough draft:

The [HeadAmp] GS-X [mk2] produced a smooth and well-articulated sound with silky transients and plenty of inner details with nary a trace of sibilance, hardness or glare. The feathery light and silky smooth transients of the GS-X Mk2 must be heard to be believed. The focus and imaging is very natural (neither forward nor recessed) and the soundstage was the largest I ever heard from the HD800 and HE-6 endowing the sound with the presence, air and layers of live music. The bass was tight and solid with tremendous impact. The greatest strength of the GS-X Mk2 is its ability to perform well with all kinds of headphones and all kinds of music.

With the Bakoon [Products] H[P]A-21, the HE-6 sounded remarkably free as well of the hardness and glare often heard with other amps. There was plenty of bass with the HE-6 for Jazz and classical music, but I wished for a tad more impact here with rock music—this was a real surprise for a solid-state design; perhaps a bigger power supply is needed here but that may be quibbling. Where the Bakoon truly excelled was in the warm but also vividly detailed midrange. This is an uncanny sound quality that I have not heard from any other amps. If you like to hear warm vocals with vivid and rich details and smooth transients (guitars, violins…), this amp is ideal for you. The excellent way the Bakoon rendered female voices in particular is entrancing.

The Woo [Audio] WA5 delivered a smooth midrange with outstanding presence thanks to a forward imaging and very tight focus. This sound was remarkably free of the hardness or glare usually associated with the HE-6. The bass, at once tight and weighty, a rare combination, was delivered with an authority that will rock your socks off. This was truly a match made in heaven for rock. Jazz- and Chamber-Music lovers will have much to like about the HE-6/Woo WA5 pairing as well. (upgraded parts + $1500 for Upgraded Royal Princess 300B tube and Princess 274B rectifier Tubes)

With the EAR [Yoshino HP4], the HE-6 also produced a musical sound free of hardness and glare. The focus of the HE-6, typically a little fuzzy, became pin-point sharp here; the center image was also pushed a little forward to give a greater presence to vocals, similar to the beautiful results with the Woo WA5. In general, there was also increased air around the instruments and enlarged soundstage to improve the 3-D illusion. Surprisingly for tube design, while the bass was well controlled (read tight), very dynamic and perfect for classical music, it was not ideal for rock where a bid less control and perhaps more weight (mid-bass bloom) is desirable. Overall, the sound was detailed and dynamic, but also so open and relaxed that I frequently forgot to focus on it and was simply enjoyed the music. That’s the ultimate compliment I can give for an audio gear."
Thank you so much for all this. I had the Bakoon for a year, very clear and subtle, but at the time I did not have the HE1000. I fear that the Headamp or the Woo would have to much punch for my kind of music (mostly complex music, from Ligeti to Dusapin). I also was attracted to the Studio Six. I definitely should have an ear for the Yoshino.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I admit to knowing next to nothing about headphones, and hope it was helpful. What I can say is that the EAR/Meze combination is delightful to listen to...yes probably not as detailed nor 'linear?' as the main rig but wonderful. You may know about or can read up on the Meze Empyrean sound...the EAR Yoshino is a sublime companion to the 3 headphones I tried (Sennheiser HD800S, HD650 and the Meze Empyrean). I am strangely sensitive to brightness when headphone listening...no problems listening to this combination. But I have never heard the Hifiman headphones.

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore
I'm glad to hear about the Empyrean which I long to listen to (and possibly acquire) since a while. It seems to be one of the best open design headphones out there. The Ultrasone is a bit harsh but has great dynamics. The HE1000 V2 is more subtle, more finely detailed but I really need to find the right match for it.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013

I own still the he6. While very tough to drive , and i have some 15 amps both tubes and ss . The woo wa5 when driven by a good tube set to fit ones hearing and tastes bests all .
Both hd800 and he6 used on different settings was best. Ill bet a tube amp measurements are worse then SS amps but yet sounds more musical .
Even in stat amps woo just allows for a fine tuning like no other headphone amp. It has high , low imp and full speaker outout imp. This is and tubes variation make it best to fit all the needs over all needed to fit soo many needs. I have listened at lenth to the he1000. Very good and was made to help with tough amp needs at the cost of true transpRency . So a woo amp allows better tuning . So woo is my pic.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Lastly headphone amp combo needs to be heard at lenth . Find a headfi meet attend listen and learn where you fit in needs. Headfi is great for headphones n iems

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Although I have no direct experience with the Bakoon as LL21 does, I have been told the new Enleum AMP 23R improves further on the Bakoon's head-fi excellence. I currently offer the Enleum but have so far only used it to power loudspeakers for which it does a shockingly good job. The Enelum is, of course, about a grand over your top-end cost so does not fit your present target. Should you decide to stretch I would be happy to provide a loaner unit. At the very least it would be excellent to know your feedback. Having the Enleum here these past months has inspired me to invest in a top-end headpone offering, with Hi-Fi Man, Dan Clark, and Meze at the top of my list. Good luck!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Blue Hawaii
Xduoo Ta 26

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore
Any more idea ?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Maybe some more details about what you are looking for? I was impressed with the new Manley headamp. At $5k a little above your price range. There are a lot of low powered amps that double as headamps, but were never intended as such. L.T.A. for example

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
The problem with the HE1000s is they need a lot of power that most headphone amps don't have.

A solution to this is to use a normal stereo integrated amp (or pre/power) and hook the HE1000s to the speaker terminals.

I use one of my favourite 80 watt integrated amps to drive my HE1000s.

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore
Maybe some more details about what you are looking for? I was impressed with the new Manley headamp. At $5k a little above your price range. There are a lot of low powered amps that double as headamps, but were never intended as such. L.T.A. for example
Thank you. My Cavalli is not resolving enough with low impedance HE1000. I was thinking about the ALO Studio Six, among others. Also Feliks Audio or Ayon HA3. I use HE1000 mainly for orchestral music.

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore
The problem with the HE1000s is they need a lot of power that most headphone amps don't have.

A solution to this is to use a normal stereo integrated amp (or pre/power) and hook the HE1000s to the speaker terminals.

I use one of my favourite 80 watt integrated amps to drive my HE1000s.
Good idea but I wouldn't fire my Zanden for that each time I want to listen the HE1000 :).

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
If resolution is your thing, have you addressed clean a/c? The addition of power cords, a/c filter, usb filter and cable was a revelation for me. YMMV.

Reactions: kantx

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore
If resolution is your thing, have you addressed clean a/c? The addition of power cords, a/c filter, usb filter and cable was a revelation for me. YMMV.
I did a lot on that part, using several high quality cables, a/c custom filter with isolation transformer. It's really a matter of power delivered by the amp for the HE1000. With al my other headphones / IEM, the Cavalli is excellent.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Great. iFI Audio Pro with their power bundle. tube and solid state.

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Trafomatic Head 2 - there has been a fair amount of good press about the Head 2 on Headfi, and more than a few votes of confidence about pairing them with the HD800. If one wanted to spend a bit more, the Mal Valve Head Amp Three is a stunning combination and you can also power electrostats.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing