Where Do You Place Your Equipment Stands?

Do you place your equipment stands right up against the wall or spaced away from the wall?

• Total voters

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Where do you place your equipment stands?

Do you place your equipment stands right up against the wall?

Do you place your equipment stands well in front of the wall in order to be able to walk behind them and to afford easy access to the rear panels of your components? In this case, how much space do you have between the wall and the back of your equipment stands?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Where do you place your equipment stands?
where god intended them to be for analog lovers; to one side for optimal speaker performance, and for optimal tt access. for vinyl, the easier the logistics, the more you play vinyl. the more you play vinyl....well....i should not need to explain why you should play more vinyl. ;)
Do you place your equipment stands right up against the wall?
no.
Do you place your equipment stands well in front of the wall in order to be able to walk behind them and to afford easy access to the rear panels of your components? In this case, how much space do you have between the wall and the back of your equipment stands?
for an analog lover, it is important to be able to get behind the racks from time to time. and if you have multiple sources access becomes important, and room for floor standing lamps. the distance might have to do with one's personal size and flexibility.

also; down the road you might need a small wall mounted shelf behind your rack for 'something', so think about that too.

Last edited:

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Mono Blocks between the speakers 4' out from the wall.
Front end against side wall beside listening seat.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I need a third option. My equipment stand is not right up against the wall but I can not walk behind it. There is room for the cables to dress nicely and space to get behind the rack if needed to connect/disconnect cables etc.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
To the left of my three listening chairs. Approximately four inches out from the back wall. Because I use ARC tube preamps, I had my woodworker Brandon build extra space between the shelves. That also helps me move wires around.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Mono Blocks between the speakers 4' out from the wall.
Front end against side wall beside listening seat.
Against the side wall but out 12"

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Against the side wall but out 12"

Is the concept behind the 12 inch space that you can wriggle behind the racks to access the rear panels of the components?

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
Along the right hand side wall on a long, low custom rack about 8" off the wall. The turntable is on a "fancy-pants" wall mount shelf attached to a weight-bearing wall just above the one end of the gear rack adjacent the seating. The loaded rack weighs in the vicinity of 700 lbs but I used laboratory equipment grade 3/8" (fine) threaded stainless steel adjustable feet with teflon glides as the footers. To gain access to the wiring loom first I roll the area rug out of the way. Then with the aid of those teflon glides, our slippery 100+ year old maple hardwood floors, and some elbow grease the loaded rack can be slid out from the wall, one end at a time.

IMG_0851.JPG

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The rack is on the side wall not far from my listening sofa. I have about 18” behind the rack but would love more space. If I had a dedicated room with lots of room to work with, I would position the gear well out from the wall so that I could walk around the rack easily to facilitate arm set up with easier access to cables and outlets. Right now I am compromised between function and aesthetics.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have about 18” behind the rack

That is a great amount of space behind the rack. I would think you would be able to maneuver behind the rack with that 18 inches of space?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
That is a great amount of space behind the rack. I would think you would be able to maneuver behind the rack with that 18 inches of space?

It is possible Ron, but as I wrote, I would like more space to make it easier. 18 inches is still too tight. You have a separate room with new construction. I would want at least 3 feet.

Reactions: rando

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Three feet? What are you going to do behind that turntable? Swing dancing?

I enjoy swing dancing and my floor and needle could take it.

Ron, my outlets are on the floor behind the rack. It is very difficult to get between a wide rack and a wall and touch the floor. Try setting up a cartridge on an arm mounted in the left rear position. It is nice to be able to get your eye down to the record level to see how vertical the stylus is as a reference. All of this requires space. 18” is a tight squeeze and 36” would be much better, but as I wrote, space and aesthetics come into play. You are lucky to have a dedicated and newly designed space.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Is the concept behind the 12 inch space that you can wriggle behind the racks to access the rear panels of the components?
Yes and enough room to have the many cables be as neat and organized as possible. But, that is just my OCD issue.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Rack with digital front and & pre on the side wall, 20cm away from the wall, amplification on a different rack, TT aagainst the other side wall on arcici stand.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
front end components including 3 turntables on a rack to the right side of the room in front of me. just enough space to crawl and stretch behind and change cables etc.
amps are in between the speakers

wil

Jul 22, 2015
No rack. Everything is on low platforms (like Daiza’s) or just on footers on the floor in between and back behind the speakers. The low placement minimizes acoustic interference.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing