Where can you mount which size arms on the AF3P?

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
I've looked at the Kuzma 4Point9 but would prefer the 4 Point 11" because of the VTA tower.

However I was told that the right rear armboard mount on the 3P couldn't accommodate anything longer than 9", it would have to be mounted in the left rear, but I've seen a photo of a Graham Elite 12" armwand mounted in the right rear position.

What's the truth on what arm can go where? TechDAS doesn't post manuals online, and I'm not sure it's even covered there.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Gian has graham phantom elite, SAT, and triplanar on AF3 p

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
IME/IMHO any length, anywhere. as long as you have appropriate armboards.

Last edited:

lscangus

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2018
I've looked at the Kuzma 4Point9 but would prefer the 4 Point 11" because of the VTA tower.

However I was told that the right rear armboard mount on the 3P couldn't accommodate anything longer than 9", it would have to be mounted in the left rear, but I've seen a photo of a Graham Elite 12" armwand mounted in the right rear position.

What's the truth on what arm can go where? TechDAS doesn't post manuals online, and I'm not sure it's even covered there.
The 4point 11 was designed to be mounted on 9" arm boards.

Reactions: BillK

Rdk777

Jul 9, 2019
I have the Kuzma 4P (11), Glanz 124 HS (12") and SME 3012 R (12") on my AFVP. I'm not sure I can get another 12" arm on the remaining mount - but a 9 or 10" arm for sure. So to answer your question - no limitations for arms up to 12" - I'd inquire directly w TechDas for longer arms. The Kuzma 14 should be fine as well due to its shorter (comparatively) mounting distance.

TDas_Red.jpg

Reactions: Bergm@nn and Ed.P

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
I have the Kuzma 4P (11), Glanz 124 HS (12") and SME 3012 R (12") on my AFVP. I'm not sure I can get another 12" arm on the remaining mount - but a 9 or 10" arm for sure. So to answer your question - no limitations for arms up to 12" - I'd inquire directly w TechDas for longer arms. The Kuzma 14 should be fine as well due to its shorter (comparatively) mounting distance.

Which do you like the most?

For various reasons I'm trying to shy away from the Graham Phantom Elite.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

Not true. An AFIII can accept the John Holmes special (14'") on the front right mount or anywhere else, it's a function of the arm board used not the arm length.

Last edited:

Rdk777

Jul 9, 2019
I've been using the Gold Note Tuscany, Musikraft shell w MR tipped 103R, and the ZYX Universe II - a mix of low/medium compliance carts. Some additional details re the arms:

Kumza 4P - Cardas wiring
SME 3012R - NOS w original tonearm cable, currently using Glanz headshell
Glanz 124 HS - rewired by Analog Magik w silver single run cable and Arche UL headshell

While all three arms are great performers, it seemed to me that the Glanz would extract finer details from the records. The improvement was incremental, but nonetheless, it became my favorite arm. All three carts were rotated and the ZYX sounded the best on the Glanz. I will have to say that initially, I thought the ZYX was an okay cart, but when I got the SUT from Dave, it just opened up amazingly and I finally realized how good this cart was. Even though the Tuscany is a more expensive cart, the ZYX is more dynamic - sounds natural and perfectly balanced.

The SME 3012R is also a great tonearm - I know its preferred by many here. I currently have the Tuscany on it - at an output voltage of 0.25 mV, it's not as dynamic, but still sounds pretty good. When I had the ZYX on the SME, it sounded good, but not on the same level as the Glanz. I can use both the ZYX and Tuscany with the SUT due to its low impedance.

The Musikraft shell with the Denon 103 R (retipped w MR) is on the Kuzma for now. At a weight of ~22 gm, the Kuzma surprisingly handles it well - however, I cannot use w the SUT due to its higher impedance. Before I got the SUT and the Glanz, I was almost convinced that the Musikraft/Denon cart with the Kuzma 4P was the way to go – it sounded pretty good at the time. The ZYX sounded decent on this arm as well - but again, not at the level of the Glanz. The Cardas wiring helps.

Anyways, can’t go wrong with any of these three arms. BTW, my phonostage is the ARC Ref 2SE.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing