What is this & what's it supposed to do? (tube holder?)

twigfarm

Jun 1, 2020
Hey folks. New to the forum but not to tubes, having been associated with a few high-end audio manufacturers specializing in tube gear back in the day, but for the life of me I can't figure out what this is or is called:

Tube Holder 2020-06-01 011a.jpg
Tube Holder 2020-06-01 007a.jpg

Came installed on the tube in a DAC I bought. I imagine it's some sort of tube "holder" but what's it's purpose & does it really do anything outside of making it a little less convenient to tube roll? Is it supposed to "dampen" the tube?

Thanks!

Dave

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
Herbies Ultrasonic dampers can have an audible benefit when used on components with exposed tubes. These tubes can be subjected to acoustic vibration. The dampers can tighten the bass and increase focus. Tubes that are slightly microphonic can benefit from tube dampers.

I've found that tubes enclosed in the component may or may not benefit from damping. ARC uses tube dampers, while my Audio Note components perform better without.

Reactions: Steve Williams

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing