What is the best 5U4G ?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I wouldn't recommend it.

@Solotov I wouldn't recommend against it, or at least not the first version, but at the time I found the Telefunken AZ1 mesh to be far superior. I may have one to sell with an adapter no longer in use, but notice that you are across the world.

Solotov

Jan 17, 2024
-
@Solotov I wouldn't recommend against it, or at least not the first version, but at the time I found the Telefunken AZ1 mesh to be far superior. I may have one to sell with an adapter no longer in use, but notice that you are across the world.
My lack of knowledge and fear prevent me from using any tube adapter haha. But I saw in multiple Lampizator threads that many users are using it with great result. Hmmm...

I wouldn't recommend it.
May I know what recti you would recommend?

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
My lack of knowledge and fear prevent me from using any tube adapter haha. But I saw in multiple Lampizator threads that many users are using it with great result. Hmmm...

May I know what recti you would recommend?
Almost every non-adapting 5U4G variant I tried was objectively better than the Tak 274B for me simply because of its overly emphasized mids, and artificial tonality across the frequency spectrum that sacrifices transparency. If that's the sound you need based on the context of your current system then it might be worth a try. IMHO.

Reactions: Solotov

Zuman

Feb 25, 2023
I wouldn't recommend it.
re: Sophia Aqua II 274B
I freely admit to being a newcomer to tubes. I have a Modwright KWH 225i hybrid integrated amp that came with a pair of JJ E88CC triodes (upgraded to 1960s-era Holland Amperex 6DJ8s) in the preamp section and a Modwright PH 9.0XT phono stage that employs a Russian 5AR4 rectifier in its separate power supply and a pair of 6C45s and a couple of 6DJ8s in the phono stage itself.
After the phono stage's 5AR4 died I replaced it with an identical new Russian tube. As I spent more time listening, however, I kept feeling that the tube might be holding the sound back a bit. Notably, there was a bit of upper midrange mud that I didn't hear when listening to my digital side, along with some soundstage constriction.
I decided to take a chance and replace the phono stage rectifier with a Sophia Electric Aqua II 274B. I'm an experienced and careful listener, but as a relative tube neophyte, I was uncomfortable taking my chances in the obscure world of tube vendors and the questionable provenances of many of their wares, particularly as I was only taking an educated guess that spending several hundred dollars on a phono stage power supply rectifier might make the difference I was looking for. But I decided that investing less than $300 (with tax and shipping) on a new Sophia was worth a shot.
As a brand new tube, I expected the Aqua II to take some time to get comfortable. Right out of the box, however, the upper midrange was significantly cleaner. It wasn't that the overall sound had become leaner; rather, it had eliminated the slightly muffled thickness that was there previously while leaving the overall weight and timbre intact.
I've continued to enjoy the Aqua II's performance, noting a wider and deeper soundstage as time goes on. I'm quite sure that the success of any tube is system-dependent, but the Sophia Electric Aqua II 274B rectifier works for me. Yes, I'd like to try a pinched-waist Valvo CCA, but that kind of money, that kind of wait, and that level of risk is not my personal style.

Reactions: bcwsrt and iain

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing