What do you guys think about this approach to building a GREAT room?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
a few questions, and a few thoughts;

--where will this room be relative to the rest of the house? i only ask because the particular challenges of the room will be highly dependant on where it is. a basement....over the garage.....suspended wood floor.....concrete.....next to a bedroom. all would effect my comments to you.

--how solid are the existing walls? you may have 2 of them already in place. you will need to either build the other walls to match their solidity, or reinforce the existing walls to match the new ones. or you will likely have uneven bass performance which will be hard to solve unless you have adjustable bass output on your speakers. this is much cheaper to fix to begin with. retrofitting walls already finsihed out will be a mess.

--hardwood under speaker end; carpet under rear 2/3rds of the room will give you better soundstaging and more 'life' than all carpet. not really more expensive when done to begin with, costly later.

--plan for a whole system isolation transformer and panel even if it's not in your current plans. put your room panel in this spot so your options will be open.

--have a side to side conduit for cables under the floor so that option will be open to you for whatever reason.

--try to have the door in the rear of the room so it's not a conflict with your speakers and treatments.

obviously i have built a 'clean sheet of paper' room.

airbearing

May 2, 2012
Munich - Germany
Hi Mike,
thanks for your inputs and thoughts. I see you are well into this topic.
the listening room is a separate building, not touching the house, only at the door. The door is at the rear side and is put on an isolation frame. It was my objective to isolate nearly everything. The walls are 40 cm (16 inches) thick. For the floor I put in a very thick and expensive hard wood. I have a dedicated transformer and current system behind the system serving my three power lines (special and big power cables running to the fuse block). Cables for the Surround System run under the concret floor in special tubes. Side cables are running in an isolated channel at the bottom of the walls.
There are no sharp edges or wall ends, everything is rounded, even the concrete wall sides and the ceiling endings.
I have adjustable bass management with my subwoofer system as well with the bass in the 5 way speakers.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Uh, I thought MikeL was responding to Caesar Appleseed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing