What can one do about animal cruelty?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I can't watch the videos because I can't stand to see animal cruelty. People that are cruel to animals should be fed to the lions at night at their local zoo.

Kippyy

Feb 20, 2011
San Ramon, CA
Animals used in agriculture have no legal protections against cruelty. At present, such behavior to a dog or cat would levy a fine or jail time. The legal system has long assumed that farmers would always act in the best interests of their animals.
When we industrialized agriculture over the past 40 years, to slaughter 9 billion animals/year, we have broken our pact with animals to honor our use of them for food.
These abusive videos have become all-too routine. I choose to not subsidize an industry that continues to accept these practices, and lobbies against any degree of outside monitoring or regulation.
Barry the vegetarian.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Reading Matthew Scully's "Dominion" was truly an eye opening and life changing experience for me...

Kindness to animals, as columnist Jeffrey Hart writes, arises from "the imperative duty as rooted in the concept of the fully human. Does it not diminish the human to abuse an animal?" Who wants to see in the mirror the man who tortured an animal?" Most of us know just what he means. And for us that is usually enough -- the mirror test, simple decency, a functioning conscience...

In the case of Smithfield, then, and the entire way of life it stands for, the question is simple and blunt: Looking into that mirror, what do you see? Where is the charity in it, where is the humanity? How does it square with the kind of society you wish to live in and the kind of person you hope to be? If you are a religious person, where in that scene is the God who loves these creatures and asks us to do the same?

For my part, even if it were demonstrated to me that these poor beasts have no rights at all while I have every right to subject them to such privation and torment, and to delegate that authority to the gentlemen of Smithfield, it is a right I do not want, a power I gladly surrender. That is the whole idea of mercy, after all, that it is entirely discretionary, entirely underserved. "It droppeth as the gentle rain from Heaven." There is no such thing as a right to mercy, not for the animals and not even for us....

It is true, as we are often reminded, that kindness to animals is among the humbler duties of human charity--though for just that reason among the more easily neglected. And it is true that there will always be enough injustice and human suffering in the world to make the wrongs done to animals seem small and secondary. The answer is that justice is not a finite commodity, nor are kindness and love. Where we find wrongs done to animals, it is no excuse to say that more important wrongs are done to human beings, and let us concentrate on those. A wrong is a wrong, and often the little ones, when they are shrugged off as nothing, spread and do the gravest harm to ourselves and others.

What can we do? I became a vegetarian after reading "Dominion". You can raise awareness by talking about such choices...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I can't watch the videos because I can't stand to see animal cruelty. People that are cruel to animals should be fed to the lions at night at their local zoo.

+1

What's more, several states have passed legislation criminalizing and allowing for the prosecution of those recording these acts of cruelty.

Kippyy

Feb 20, 2011
San Ramon, CA
Excellent book and citation.
In response to the OP's rhetorical question; "What can one do about animal cruelty on farms"?
1-Reduce or eliminate your meat and dairy consumption; The industry has no desire to change its practices or make them more transparent
2-Work with organizations trying to legislate on behalf of farm animals including the Humane Society of the US
3-Read books such as Animal Liberation by Singer, Dominion.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
What's more, several states have passed legislation criminalizing and allowing for the prosecution of those recording these acts of cruelty.

I was not aware of this. Are we serious?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Kippyy

Feb 20, 2011
San Ramon, CA
In general, rather than express dismay at these acts of cruelty and demand investigations, the response of the ag industry is obfuscation.
The industry has attempted to pass "ag-gag" legislation in 11 states that would make it a crime/felony to document abuse on farms and not turn the material over to the authorities immediately upon acquisition. On the surface, the industry purports these bills would hasten catching the abuser more quickly. Whistleblowers know that it requires documenting a pattern of abuse before the authorities will act. In addition, the "authorities" seems to be in bed with the ag industry in many of these locations. Fortunately, common sense has prevailed and all of these ag-gag bills have been defeated.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
In general, rather than express dismay at these acts of cruelty and demand investigations, the response of the ag industry is obfuscation.
The industry has attempted to pass "ag-gag" legislation in 11 states that would make it a crime/felony to document abuse on farms and not turn the material over to the authorities immediately upon acquisition. On the surface, the industry purports these bills would hasten catching the abuser more quickly. Whistleblowers know that it requires documenting a pattern of abuse before the authorities will act. In addition, the "authorities" seems to be in bed with the ag industry in many of these locations. Fortunately, common sense has prevailed and all of these ag-gag bills have been defeated.

ALEC = fascism.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing