WAVAC 833 v1.3 - Anyone heard this?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi All,

I am considering a change up in amplification. I am very curious about this one, which has a few units floating around in the second-hand market. I run Wilson X-1/Grand Slamms and am looking for: superb power (down thru low bass), tonal purity and extension. Front end is Zanden digital and CJ ref preamp.

Anyone heard Wavac 833 v1.3 who can comment/compare with other amps (Gryphon, Lamm, Krell Evo Ones, FM Acoustics, etc)? Thanks for any advice.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You should ask the owner of this impressive system (I am sure Tim will appreciate it, it uses a 3 way digital crossover and six amplifiers :eek:)

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1104825435&openfrom&1&4#1

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Lloyd - I heard the smallest Wavac amp (just cant remember the model) sporting 300B tubes, it was an integrated amp for a large session in San Antonio some years back - I was taken by its musicality and life-like timbre, build quality and dynamics. That particular setup included Hydra cabling and Vienna speakers. Not sure how it will mate with your Wilson speakers thou, but for me it is in my top-5 amp list! (you know what is on my top 1) ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hah! Yes, i have sent him an email this morning!...Thuchan! He has changed his Wilson X1/Grand Slamms to custom ones he developed himself with some engineers, and owns the ARC Ref 40 as well (Kondo M7 phono), and Velodyne 1812, among other things...nice system. I have emailed him this morning for his opinion! Thanks!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd - I heard the smallest Wavac amp (just cant remember the model) sporting 300B tubes, it was an integrated amp for a large session in San Antonio some years back - I was taken by its musicality and life-like timbre, build quality and dynamics. That particular setup included Hydra cabling and Vienna speakers. Not sure how it will mate with your Wilson speakers thou, but for me it is in my top-5 amp list! (you know what is on my top 1) ;)

Yes! I know your favorite of all! Thanks for that...very helpful.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Gregadd, yes. i saw that one too. Need to hear it which ain't easy...and thought i would start here in terms of general impressions first. Thuchan from Audiogon (Mr. Bavaria from the photo from Microstrip above) is a good source since he ran them with the same speakers i've got. i'll post if/when he emails me back. thanks again.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I think the WAVAC can sound amazing--but they are very speaker sensitive. So would aways check first or listen. (know that since reviewed a pair years ago and needed to find someone with the "right" speakers for the amps.) Years ago heard the amps at CES on a pair of JBLs (yes a model that was not exported) and was blown aways but the midrange and dimensionality of the musicians.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Myles,

thanks!!...that is very good to know. very good. any idea about how they might work with my Slamms? (and cj pre?)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Myles,

thanks!!...that is very good to know. very good. any idea about how they might work with my Slamms? (and cj pre?)

Only guessing but would think that the WAVACS should work though don't know how they'll sound in the bottom end. Not many speakers go down there :) I'd imagine the midrange would sound glorious, maybe a little soft on top?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
got it...thanks! Presume you would say CJ ARTs are the way to go? ;)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
looydelee21

I hope this is not construed as derailing your hread :

I have auditioned at length :

The Grand Slamm
I have also heard the Maxx I, Maxx 2 and of course the X-2 series 1 and the X-2 Series 2 .. All auditions were not quickies... The X-2 was for a period of a few days
I would suggest to think about the X-2 before going toward the Wavac.. The Maxx-2 is IMO and that of Wilson connoiseurs superior to the X-1 (I am not a Wilson afficonado) ...
The X-2 is in the Stratospherinc league, one of the best speakers out there .. If you have the room and are considering changing amps, I would suggest to make the plunge toward this superlative sound reproducer aka loudspeaker... Just food for thought ...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Frantz,

Thanks...not a hijack when its good, solid advice! I agree with you...i have spoken with Wilson and the Distributor here. both concur that the X-1 upgrade package (called Series V) will effectively bring my X1 up to the X2 range. a much more cost-effective option than buying even a second hand X2 (by far).

That is something i intend to do someday. At the moment, the reason i am looking at amps is (in truth) because my Gryphon Antileon has been so problematic. otherwise, i would not bother and would be very happy with the best SS sound (to my ears) for my system.

(FWIW, as for Maxx II v Wilson X1, i would saying having spent a long time A/B'ing SF Strad to maxx II...and eventually far preferring SF Strad...i can say (imho) that when i heard X1s, they simply crushed the SF STrads (for me) in every way conceivable, maintaining all of the delicacy, nuance, beautiful mids of the Strad...and adding all the things that Wilson do so famously...bass, dynamics, limitless volumes and soundstage. This was all done same room, system, etc.)

In the end though, your post was about the X2s...and thank you, yes i will very likely upgrade my X1s someday to Series V which uses the top 3 modules Tweeters & Mids of the X2.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
got it...thanks! Presume you would say CJ ARTs are the way to go? ;)

I think because of the Teflon caps, that using the cj products in series produces a synergistic effect. That said, it would be one amplifier of many that one can consider. There's always an issue with big tube amplifiers eg heat and retubing :) But heard the ARTs on the Scaenas at CES and they sounded very nice! But for instance, I'd also give a listen to the big VTLs too :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Myles,

thanks...i will say, i have always had at least 1 cj product in my system for the last 12 years or so. And still true today as you know...and likely to continue for many to come given recent events. ;) so i will give the ARTs some thought...how do they compare to the LP275s...which are coming way down in price?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Myles,

thanks...i will say, i have always had at least 1 cj product in my system for the last 12 years or so. And still true today as you know...and likely to continue for many to come given recent events. ;) so i will give the ARTs some thought...how do they compare to the LP275s...which are coming way down in price?

First the only difference between the ART and 275 is the driver stage; otherwise they're identical. That said, Lew and Bill think lowering the driver stage impedance if I remember correctly resulted in the better bandwidth and a lower noise floor.

All I can say is that a friend was over yesterday who hadn't heard the system (there were many changes between including the ART/Allnic/Haniwa/Classic platter/MIT cables/tape deck heads/Summit-Xs, etc) was blown away by the speed, transparency, dimensionality, resolution and dynamics of the system :) Lots of reasons why but the ART was a big contributor. The ART just has an effortless and natural quality. Never brings attention to itself and really struts its self when playing 15 ips tapes.

In fact, lately I often whether we're lead to the wrong conclusions using LPs (forget digital) in contrast to 15 ips tapes. There's just so much information, be it tonal, spatial, dynamic or frequency wise on the tapes and one doesn't need equipment to exaggerate an area to make the component or system sound good (eg say an emphasis in the upper mids as was done years ago to give the impression of greater resolution).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
First the only difference between the ART and 275 is the driver stage; otherwise they're identical. That said, Lew and Bill think lowering the driver stage impedance if I remember correctly resulted in the better bandwidth and a lower noise floor.

Really? wow...would never have guessed. while i imagine CJ would not do it now, could one retrofit an LP275 then and effectively have an ART?...perhaps by a modifier like Bob Backert? intriguing...i have heard lowering impedance increases bandwidth. Seems they had similar idea with GAT...

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
lloydelee

I will leave to others to comment about the Series V claim to bring the X-1 within X-2 territory.. OB may chime in .. I have my doubts though .. Now concerning the desire to change amplifier because of your unfortunate experience with your Gryphon ... I would suggest discussing the matter very forcefully with Gryphon especially if you like the sound.
I would also carefully look at my electrical system. You would know it i tend to be on the objectivist side. I continue to maintian however that after Acoustics Room Treatments, the area one should invest in any system is Power Quality. I am at odds to find an objective explanation why power quality has such an effect on the sound. I am NOT talking about power cords and the like, my view on these esoteric power cords is dim .. Real serious. measurable and repeatable power conditioning . I favor personally double conversion UPS and Arthur Kelm has a column/thread/subforum here at WBF on the issue. I would also add that I haven't followed your thread about the "crackle" in your amp.

I would also surmise that SS gears tend to be more reliable than their tubed counterparts. Heat is the enemy here and Tubes tend to produce more of it than SS ... This is a gross generalization but the statistics tend to sustain it.
I know nothing of the WAVAC by the way, the tubes they use are very esoteric and likely not easy to source or find .. If they float your boat, fine .. I would have however concentrated on getting myself a pair of used X-2 ... To me the speakers make the most difference everything else being equal ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing