VR-4 Gen III HSE vs VR-5 Anniversary

mhconley

Feb 10, 2020
SWFL
I love my VR-4 Gen III HSE speakers. I bought them used about 5 years ago. They are in excellent condition and sound like no other speaker I have ever owned. I thoroughly enjoy them and thought they would be my last pair of speakers, until recently. I have been offered a pair of VR-5 Anniversary speakers at an extremely attractive price. Still, they are a stretch for me. I am seeking advice from those of you who are familiar with both speakers. Are the VR-5 Anniversaries a significantly better speaker than the VR-4 Gen III HSEs? Can you explain the difference in sound?

I currently have the VR-4's biamplified with ICEpower monoblocks on the woofer module and 300b SET monoblocks on the midrange/tweeter module. I listen to both vinyl and digital. My musical tastes are classic rock from the 1960's - 1980's, metal, grunge, female vocalists, singer songwriter, bluegrass, Americana and some new stuff. My favorite artists are Supertramp, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Sarah McLachlan, Natalie Merchant, Nickel Creek, Alison Krauss, Aurora, and Billie Eilish.

Thanks,
Martin

Last edited:

mhconley

Feb 10, 2020
SWFL
So I bought the VR5 Anniversary speakers. I have had them about 11 days. This is my impression (copied from Audiocircle):

I recently purchased a used pair of VR5 Anniversaries to replace my beloved VR4 Gen III HSEs. I am a happy camper. I have them in the same place I had my VR4s. I tried moving them but they seem happiest where the VR4s were sitting. (My VR4s are under new ownership in a new home...)

My impressions: The bass is very similar if not indistinguishable between the VR4 Gen III HSE and VR5 Anniversary. Both play equally low and with impressive authority. I think bass is one of the defining characteristics of both of these speakers. I love the visceral impact of which they are capable. The midrange seems more present and fuller in the VR5s. What these speakers do for guitars, keyboards and vocals is amazing. The tweeters also seem to have more sparkle than the VR4s with zero sibilance or harshness. I thought the VR4s were good but the VR5s are better. Where I have heard the biggest difference is in soundstage and overall impact. The VR5s just have more of everything. I had the VR4s dialed in a projecting a nice sphere of sound. That sphere of sound seems to have expanded one-and-a-half to twofold larger with the VR5s. I can listen to these for hours on end at an average volume of 85dB (peaks in the mid 90dB range).

I had always said the VR4s were my endgame speaker. Considering the current price of Von Schweikert speakers, barring a lottery win, these VR5 Anniversaries are definitely my end game speaker. My son will inherit them.

Martin

drrsutliff

May 6, 2013
Fleming Island, FL
Congratulations on the VR5s!

Reactions: mhconley

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Your end game huh?
Tell me have you ever heard the vr9 ultra with the Vac integrated?
"C'est l'audiophilia"

mhconley

Feb 10, 2020
SWFL
Your end game huh?
Tell me have you ever heard the vr9 ultra with the Vac integrated?
"C'est l'audiophilia"

I have heard the VR7SE, Ultra 55 and Ultra 11 but not the VR9s. They are all well above my budget.

Martin

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The 55 was sounding fantastic at this year's CAF. It's been awhile since I hear the 4.
The audiophiles' journey is never complete enjoy the ride.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
VR 5 anniversaries are a tremendous speaker and great value. The VSA DNA is unmistakeable.

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
The bass is very similar if not indistinguishable between the VR4 Gen III HSE and VR5 Anniversary. Both play equally low and with impressive authority. I think bass is one of the defining characteristics of both of these speakers. I love the visceral impact of which they are capable. The midrange seems more present and fuller in the VR5s. What these speakers do for guitars, keyboards and vocals is amazing. The tweeters also seem to have more sparkle than the VR4s with zero sibilance or harshness.
Congratulations on the VR5!

I owned VR4 Gen III HSE as well. Loved them. I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment above. I thought the one weak spot was the treble, which was a bit grainy and unrefined. If the VR5 improves on that, then they must be excellent speakers.

Enjoy them.

Last edited:

Damon Von Schweikert

WBF Technical Expert
Sep 15, 2016
California
www.vonschweikert.com
So I bought the VR5 Anniversary speakers. I have had them about 11 days. This is my impression (copied from Audiocircle):

I recently purchased a used pair of VR5 Anniversaries to replace my beloved VR4 Gen III HSEs. I am a happy camper. I have them in the same place I had my VR4s. I tried moving them but they seem happiest where the VR4s were sitting. (My VR4s are under new ownership in a new home...)

My impressions: The bass is very similar if not indistinguishable between the VR4 Gen III HSE and VR5 Anniversary. Both play equally low and with impressive authority. I think bass is one of the defining characteristics of both of these speakers. I love the visceral impact of which they are capable. The midrange seems more present and fuller in the VR5s. What these speakers do for guitars, keyboards and vocals is amazing. The tweeters also seem to have more sparkle than the VR4s with zero sibilance or harshness. I thought the VR4s were good but the VR5s are better. Where I have heard the biggest difference is in soundstage and overall impact. The VR5s just have more of everything. I had the VR4s dialed in a projecting a nice sphere of sound. That sphere of sound seems to have expanded one-and-a-half to twofold larger with the VR5s. I can listen to these for hours on end at an average volume of 85dB (peaks in the mid 90dB range).

I had always said the VR4s were my endgame speaker. Considering the current price of Von Schweikert speakers, barring a lottery win, these VR5 Anniversaries are definitely my end game speaker. My son will inherit them.

Martin
I'm sorry I didn't see this post earlier to be of help, I'm not on the forums much but I'm so glad you're happy with the VR-5. In retrospect, I would simply advise on what you now already know. The VR-5 exceeds it's predecessor in all aspects primarily due to the materials and improvements in manufactured goods like drivers, network components, internal wire, etc. Not only had things progressed but we also had a larger budget to work with.

Please don't hesitate to call us at the offices if you have any questions. While we are always engaged with the development and manufacture of new loudspeakers, we're always available to support our previous designs and their owners or in some cases, would be owners.

All my Best!

Reactions: mhconley

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
I have heard the VR7SE, Ultra 55 and Ultra 11 but not the VR9s. They are all well above my budget.

Martin
In your system, the VR/Ultra 5s would have been easy to drive. In my system, I prefer higher efficiency speakers and your choice of the 5s would have been my choice. VS now makes some more efficient speakers such as the new Ultra 7 and the Endeavor E-5. Also, there are potentially more problems with active speakers (amps), especially the older they get (like 20 years or more) with parts availability. I wonder how good your 5s sound compared to the Endeavors.

john925

May 3, 2013
I'm sorry I didn't see this post earlier to be of help, I'm not on the forums much but I'm so glad you're happy with the VR-5. In retrospect, I would simply advise on what you now already know. The VR-5 exceeds it's predecessor in all aspects primarily due to the materials and improvements in manufactured goods like drivers, network components, internal wire, etc. Not only had things progressed but we also had a larger budget to work with.

Please don't hesitate to call us at the offices if you have any questions. While we are always engaged with the development and manufacture of new loudspeakers, we're always available to support our previous designs and their owners or in some cases, would be owners.

All my Best!
Hi Damon,

Also a VR-5 owner here. Glad to have them as my best and loyal companion on my journey of music. Always ready to bring the magic and the beauty of music. Recently, I found the foam surround of the midrange units, from AAC of France, seemed to have some deterioration. Do you have any suggestions about how to fix the issue? Thank you.

John

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm getting sentimental. I was talking to Albert and asked him why he didn't make a speaker using the cabinet of the VR-4 SR but with the drivers of the VR-9. He said he could do it easily but why? I said because I can't afford VR-9s. He laughed and asked me if it would be weird for the market. I said not really. There are the Ms, AMGs and RS for the regular Beemers, Benz' and Audis. There are Z01s Z06s etc for Corvettes.....

A few months later he says its done and I'm to get SN 0001L and 0001R in Macasar Ebony. Ooooh baby :)

When I finally could afford 9s, they ended up with a friend from Congress who had Gen 2s and VR-3s. He eventually became our President.

My VSA journey started with Gen IIIs. I now have Custom Ultra 11s and my brother went from VR-9 to VR-11 and now the only VR-111 in existence :)

Miss you Albert

Reactions: john925 and Holli82

john925

May 3, 2013
I'm getting sentimental. I was talking to Albert and asked him why he didn't make a speaker using the cabinet of the VR-4 SR but with the drivers of the VR-9. He said he could do it easily but why? I said because I can't afford VR-9s. He laughed and asked me if it would be weird for the market. I said not really. There are the Ms, AMGs and RS for the regular Beemers, Benz' and Audis. There are Z01s Z06s etc for Corvettes.....

A few months later he says its done and I'm to get SN 0001L and 0001R in Macasar Ebony. Ooooh baby :)

When I finally could afford 9s, they ended up with a friend from Congress who had Gen 2s and VR-3s. He eventually became our President.

My VSA journey started with Gen IIIs. I now have Custom Ultra 11s and my brother went from VR-9 to VR-11 and now the only VR-111 in existence :)

Miss you Albert
VR-9 would be the speaker I would like to upgrade from VR-5, if I have bigger room. love the aesthetic, especially the gray/silver color.

Reactions: SeagoatLeo

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
VR-9 would be the speaker I would like to upgrade from VR-5, if I have bigger room. love the aesthetic, especially the gray/silver color.
Me too. I was after the VR9SE Mk2 for 2 years but it is a 600 lb. speaker for a 20X15X10 room, just too big and heavy. VS was going to make a great deal with 100% upgrades for $50K but it's just too bid.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing