Vinylphile issue 7 is ready for download!

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Hi all,

With all the post-RMAF excitement, I forgot to post that Issue 7 of Vinylphile is now available! I've made some tweaks to the layout and am interested in hearing your feedback. Here's a link to the issue:

www.vinylphilemag.com/pdf/vinylphile-007.pdf

As always, thanks for reading!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Hi Rich - I woke up pretty early this morning (this Nagra T restoration project is killing me!) :) - I just could not sleep at 5 am, so I went down to my studio and grabbed my iPad to learn what was going on at WTF.... I read your post, downloaded the issue and enjoyed it a lot a lot (have not finished it yet). Nice work, relevant content and gentle reading. Thanks!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Thanks, Rich. It's a nice read. I wish I had read it before going out and buying the LP of Arcade Fire when I was disappointed with the amount of compression on the CD. If it was really recorded from the LP, that's a pretty good reproduction. They sound very close.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Rich-I read through some of the latest edition and have a question or two for you. You reviewed a $200 phono section and pretty much dumped on it. You reviewed a $600+ Dual table and pretty much dumped on it too. Now I’m not surprised given their price that they are not SOTA contenders, but why bother to review them in the first place? I would think that anyone who reads your reviews would steer a wide berth from these products.
Also, I don't think there are too many people on this forum that are interested in $200 phono stages and $600 turntables.

There has been quite the debate about the quality of the QRP pressing of the Tea for the Tillerman LP that you reviewed. You pretty much gave it a big thumbs-up while lots of other people have given it a thumbs-down. I’m going to send my copy back to Acoustic Sounds and get an exchange and hope it’s better than the one I have.

Mark

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I didn't bother reading the reviews of the phono section or the Dual table. But while they weren't of interest to me, they might be to younger folk who can't afford What's Best.

I think that it's still quite relevant as there are some really cheap phono stages that could give multi-thousand dollar units a run for their money. The Hagerman Bugle is one good example. Don't run it with the alkaline batteries pictured on their site, use Eveready Super Heavy Duty to fix the loose and woolly bass.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Gary-If you read the reviews and you were in the market for a $200 phono stage and a $600 table, you would feel like a dunce if you purchased either one of them after all of the negative things Rich had to say about each of them.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
OK, now that I've gone back and read the reviews - I didn't think that he dumped on the phono stage.... he qualified "at the price" but concluded that it surpassed his expectations. Given that he owns the Allnic, it's all down to expectation bias. But yeah. If I had bought the $600 table he reviewed, I would have felt like a dunce.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Rich-I read through some of the latest edition and have a question or two for you. You reviewed a $200 phono section and pretty much dumped on it. You reviewed a $600+ Dual table and pretty much dumped on it too. Now I’m not surprised given their price that they are not SOTA contenders, but why bother to review them in the first place? I would think that anyone who reads your reviews would steer a wide berth from these products.

A fair question, although to be clear I didn't dump on the Azur 640P (I was actually very impressed with it, given its price point), and I didn't intend to dump on the Dual (but I wasn't as impressed with it as I was the 640P).

But to answer your question, there are two parts: I can only review that gear I can get my hands on, and perhaps more importantly, I feel it is my job to describe what I hear as best I can, warts and all. If I say that everything sounds good, people may question my credibility/impartiality, and it leaves me nowhere to go when something really is good.

My understanding is that some mags will cancel reviews of products they don't like. In my opinion, this does a disservice to both the reader and potential buyer. If a review of product X doesn't appear in mag Y, is it because mag Y thought that the product stank but didn't want to say so, or is it merely that mag Y hasn't had the opportunity to review product X yet? Also, as a potential buyer, I would want to know the short-comings of a product I'm considering.

Also, I don't think there are too many people on this forum that are interested in $200 phono stages and $600 turntables.

I don't doubt that for a millisecond! But Vinylphile's readership extends far beyond the realms of this forum (and you never know, people with a great investment in digital might be interested in playing at the cheaper end of the analgue market...).

There has been quite the debate about the quality of the QRP pressing of the Tea for the Tillerman LP that you reviewed. You pretty much gave it a big thumbs-up while lots of other people have given it a thumbs-down.

Agreed. I wrote my review before I had heard an original Island pink label (which I now have, thanks to Gary). I think my description is accurate, but I also concur that an original pressing would be better. But the QRP pressing *is* much better than the only comparison I could lay my hands on at the time of the review.

Last edited:

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
OK, now that I've gone back and read the reviews - I didn't think that he dumped on the phono stage.... he qualified "at the price" but concluded that it surpassed his expectations. Given that he owns the Allnic, it's all down to expectation bias. But yeah. If I had bought the $600 table he reviewed, I would have felt like a dunce.

For full disclosure: I don't own the Allnic. The H-3000 had to be returned, but I do have the H-1200 on long term loan.

As for the TT review: I will admit to be very critical in my reviews; perhaps a bit too much so. I can only call things as I see 'em...

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Rich-I think you did a good job of explaining your predicament. You can only review gear that you can get your hands on.

Mark

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
But to answer your question, there are two parts: I can only review that gear I can get my hands on, and perhaps more importantly, I feel it is my job to describe what I hear as best I can, warts and all. If I say that everything sounds good, people may question my credibility/impartiality, and it leaves me nowhere to go when something really is good.

My understanding is that some mags will cancel reviews of products they don't like. In my opinion, this does a disservice to both the reader and potential buyer.

Wow.... a reviewer that really does tell the truth about how something sounds... What a relief. Keep up the great work. Can't wait to read more.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing