Videos: Show me MALE vocals

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Is it because a well matching amp too? Am I hearing a different pressing from what Peter has.

The amp has more headroom at 120w, 833c. Maybe a different pressing, not sure. As long as he bought the melodia not the eterna or Philips digital I think it must be the same. There are different represses.

He and I have different mics. Mine is on iphone 8, his is 11 pro or so.

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Is it because a well matching amp too? Am I hearing a different pressing from what Peter has.
Do people think this Winterreise sounds good? Peter's posts sound far superior...

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Do people think this Winterreise sounds good? Peter's posts sound far superior...
I agree Peter’s sounds a lot better, but in both, the vocals sound grievously peaky. Is this what you’re hearing in person or is the iPhone just not handling the vocal? I’ve heard a lot of versions of Wintereise and some recordings do have this peaky quality — I prefer the ones that don’t! I think in general it must be really hard to record male classical singers. Their voices are so powerful they seem to overwhelm the microphones unless they are recorded with a lot of skill.

I also hear a lot of — Room— which even if the overall sound is very musical, I find gets in the way of hearing into the recording.

Just from hearing the videos posted here, and given all the limitations of listening to iPhone videos, I hear the Vitavox set up interacting a lot more with the room than the prior Magico set up.

I also hear a lot less of the room reverberation in Stehno’s videos which I think overall is a good thing.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Are you referring to room the system is in, or the concert hall ambience

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I agree Peter’s sounds a lot better, but in both, the vocals sound grievously peaky. Is this what you’re hearing in person or is the iPhone just not handling the vocal? I’ve heard a lot of versions of Wintereise and some recordings do have this peaky quality — I prefer the ones that don’t! I think in general it must be really hard to record male classical singers. Their voices are so powerful they seem to overwhelm the microphones unless they are recorded with a lot of skill.

I also hear a lot of — Room— which even if the overall sound is very musical, I find gets in the way of hearing into the recording.

Just from hearing the videos posted here, and given all the limitations of listening to iPhone videos, I hear the Vitavox set up interacting a lot more with the room than the prior Magico set up.

I also hear a lot less of the room reverberation in Stehno’s videos which I think overall is a good thing.

For some reason Peter's videos tend to sound more spatially reverberant than his system sounds in person.

One of the many reasons why I find videos problematic. And it's not just recording, but also playback. I even heard differences in perceived spatiality from one and the same video upon playback on either phone or laptop computer. You never know what you get.

Reactions: wil

wil

Jul 22, 2015
For some reason Peter's videos tend to sound more spatially reverberant than his system sounds in person.

One of the many reasons why I find videos problematic. And it's not just recording, but also playback. I even heard differences in perceived spatiality from one and the same video upon playback on either phone or laptop computer. You never know what you get.
I didn’t find that to be the case with the Magico videos though. But you guys have heard both in person and that trumps these videos!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

I went and listened to a whole bunch of versions on Qobuz and found they vary dramatically with regard to the amount of recorded ambience and clarity of the piano...the singer seems rather better captured.
The peakiness could be overload as some recordings have very potent voices!

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I went and listened to a whole bunch of versions on Qobuz and found they vary dramatically with regard to the amount of recorded ambience and clarity of the piano...the singer seems rather better captured.
The peakiness could be overload as some recordings have very potent voices!

For my part I have reservations about utilising this particular body of work as a definitive *tool* in evaluating and categorising the relative qualities of so many varied and disparate transducers, the quality of recorded material available for the most part being fairly mediocre to begin with.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I’ve heard a lot of versions of Wintereise

The collectible is considered to be the HMV Dietrich Fischer Dieskkau and Gerald Moore. I have the second edition and have also heard a tape. I don't find it as good because the voice is recorded close to the mic, and the piano is muted.

This Schreier Richter version is the best I found. I also compared it to the Philips digital LP and the Eterna (in fact have them) and the Melodiya is the best. It is an 8 euro LP where he postage from Russia is much more expensive, so most people here can buy it. Does it have same sonics as some of the other non-winterreise collectible LPs? No. But it is a brilliant performance and very real, excellent concert hall ambience and you are there recording. This is also the only piece I found where the piano is extremely strong as well. In person the whole Melodiya pressing is very emotional, moving and powerful. I first heard it on the Western Electrics at Munich and immediately picked it up

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
For my part I have reservations about utilising this particular body of work as a definitive *tool* in evaluating and categorising the relative qualities of so many varied and disparate transducers, the quality of recorded material available for the most part being fairly mediocre to begin with.

No one should use any one recording as a definitive tool, it is one in a series of recordings used

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
“In person the whole Melodiya pressing is very emotional, moving and powerful. I first heard it on the Western Electrics at Munich and immediately picked it up”

Mein Gott ... Blatted out via 30’s Cinema horns :oops: ;)

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

If it was easy, I imagine Nesmith would be everybody's favorite male vocalist.

• Haha
Reactions: Scott Naylor

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

A classic by any standard.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing