VH Audio Hot Box

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Guys and girls, some thoughts/user experiences on the VH Audio Hot Box please.
About to go for my final set of power upgrades.
Currently running a dedicated consumer unit into a radial main, from which is powered an 8kVA Westwick balanced power transformer (a total beast!).
I have just gone for all-US plugs on my Sablon Reservas power cords, and as a result have a transitional lash up of cheapo extension/distribution strip.
So, now I have a decision of running 7 dedicated lines to cover audio/av/rear subs (considering Belden at £7/$10 per metre/yard) to 7 Furutech gtx-d rhodium US duplexes. This will necessitate a pretty extensive electrician job of chasing out 7 holes in my walls to accommodate the duplexes, prob several hrs work to incl wiring the 5 duplexes. Will not be cheap. The balanced power people will then hardwire the lines at the transformer at a later date to complete the install.
OR...I can go Hot Boxes. These in effect are well engineered metal junction boxes that already house twin Furutech duplex US sockets w/Stage 4 power cords pre hardwired, unterminated the other end to allow connection to my transformer. Hence I would only need four. And the only install would be the simple hardwiring at the transformer end by my Westwick engineer for a small charge.
So this is as close to true dedicated lines, w/out the understandable losses of daisy chaining extension cords and plugged distribution strips, but w/out the hassle of dedicated lines' electricians, very few of whom understand our audio requirements.
So, Hot Box...thumbs up or down?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, a popular thread overrun w responses LOL.

Let's try again. At this point I'm seriously considering getting my gear from mid spkrs to side wall. But this will necessitate 7m long power cords to my Zus subs, which for cost reasons I'm loathe to consider...or something like a 2-socket Hot Box w 7m captive pwr cord, prob 1/3 cost of going for longer versions of my cords.

Any thoughts?

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
I use a VH Audio Hotbox in my setup. I've been very pleased with it. The modified Flavor 4 has plenty of bandwidth for my M400 monos with my very hard to drive speakers. I can't see that using them would have any negative effects as the Flavor 4 AWG is going to be lower than your inwall wiring and the direct wiring that you're proposing makes it effectively an extension of your inwall wiring.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Hi Marc,
You could consider the 2 x power cables to your speakers in off the reel Lapp 3 core, it is all I use to my ML's ( it is actually very good sounding pwr cable), which won't cost much at all. But, bear in mind that where your TT is currently, is probably less affected by bass f due to its distance from boundary walls, which is where bass energy is far greater (with corners becoming peaks, hence traps). Probably, the best location for the system is right in the middle of the room, behind the listening seats.. This you could consider also..?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Paul, I'm finding this fascinating. A reasonable supposition might be tt on wall shelf on front wall. But you contend there might be greater bass issues there than where my tt currently is (in free space, but Stacored on floor close to subs).

Behind me is not going to fly, would necessitate even longer cables.

No, I'm going to:

1- just keep all where it is mid spkrs, and add a bulletproof heavy duty single tier stand for my tt/phono e.g. Rogoz Audio platform, to get my Stacored tt off floor, or

2- extend spkr cbls and avail myself of something like the Hot Box to obviate need for stupidly pricey extra long pwr cords to Zus subs, or

3- move all gear closer to front wall, install a heavy duty wall shelf, e.g. Solid Steel, augment w Panzerholz slab and RevOPods (which are so effective under my Zus), move Stacore to cdp or preamp duties.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Paul, I'm finding this fascinating. A reasonable supposition might be tt on wall shelf on front wall. But you contend there might be greater bass issues there than where my tt currently is (in free space, but Stacored on floor close to subs).

Behind me is not going to fly, would necessitate even longer cables.

No, I'm going to:

1- just keep all where it is mid spkrs, and add a bulletproof heavy duty single tier stand for my tt/phono e.g. Rogoz Audio platform, to get my Stacored tt off floor, or

2- extend spkr cbls and avail myself of something like the Hot Box to obviate need for stupidly pricey extra long pwr cords to Zus subs, or

3- move all gear closer to front wall, install a heavy duty wall shelf, e.g. Solid Steel, augment w Panzerholz slab and RevOPods (which are so effective under my Zus), move Stacore to cdp or preamp duties.

Hi Marc,

Your issue isn’t bass energy in the air. Your issue is a massive suspended wooden floor that your speakers will excite and vibrate. Thus your TT placed on the rack close to the floor is imho the worst solution and better on the wall shelf as we discussed. Also you are confusing the front wall position to the corner position - the latter where you will get the bass build up. You would not put your wall shelf in the corner of the room...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bar81, good to hear.
This is my go-to mains block product if I indeed go the "gear on side wall" option.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing