van den Hul Colibri Grand Cru

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Do I read your Grand Cru output correctly on the box as 0.75mv ?

Iirc the Master Sig had a variety of outputs over time. Both of mine are 1.1mv which lets me run through a MM input (47k load) if I choose. I gather you switched both Mstr Sigs for Grand Cru?

Does anyone know if there are outputs other than 0.75mv for the GC?
I was recently told by Mr. vdH that standard output for GC is 0.75mv but you can order them with lower or higher outputs too.david

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012

Iirc the Master Sig had a variety of outputs over time. Both of mine are 1.1mv which lets me run through a MM input (47k load) if I choose. I gather you switched both Mstr Sigs for Grand Cru?

Mine is 0.38mV. My MSS is 0.40mV.

Reactions: tima

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Tang, have you ever measured your carts frequency response. If you haver ever got a response from adjust+, analog magic or similar, please do share. I am not asking to critique but to understand your taste and preference. By trying to understand you, I am also trying to understand my own VdH experience as I have no one to compare around.

Mine had a rising response over 10khz and this may have been to peoples liking or it may be my particular cartridge had too much of this upper end tilt in my particular setup. Generally when people talk about "open" sound, I found out through measuring that their speakers upper end frequency response was tilted upwards, especially between 10khz-15khz. I just wonder if there is a similar case here.
Kodomo san. You are talking to Tang here. He doesn't even solder wire. :D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
By trying to understand you, I am also trying to understand my own VdH experience as I have no one to compare around.

With all likelihood your vdh sample was the issue. I have heard a couple of really poor ones.

Reactions: iaxel and kodomo

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
With all likelihood your vdh sample was the issue. I have heard a couple of really poor ones.
I have also experienced build quality issues with VdH cartridges in the past. Specifically with the Colibri series (the original Colibri, not the new Stradivarius/Master/Grand Cru versions). Mr. VdH was very responsive and service was top notch, as the cartridges were replaced. However, after a few returns it, eventually, led me to give up on the Colibri.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I have colibri ms strad, it has been to Mr. VdH two times. He said the cartidge is ok, so I do not know what to do. Yes, he was responsive but still the problems with the cartridge in my setup continued so I retired it but still keep it to test with a sme3012r and a better matching pre one day.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You should post it to someone who likes his vdh to try it out and see if it similar sounding. If it is, Then it could be your arm or phono

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
You should post it to someone who likes his vdh to try it out and see if it similar sounding. If it is, Then it could be your arm or phono
If anyone from here wants to do this, I can send it. It is the 1.1mV version

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I can send it to you, lets talk over personal messages.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Yes I have two Grand Crus now. The newer one is 0.75 mV. The other one I’m told is .6 but it sounds more like 1.1 mV. The 0.75 sample has a lower output.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I'm currently finding the bass and dynamics are a little constrained on my GC.
Does anybody have any suggestions?
I'm using the same vta and tracking force as with my previous Colibri, is it likely to be different?

Vienna

VIP/Donor
It seems VDH is a very particular case. Besides my personal experience with a GC, I have heard so many other cases for inconsistent specs, performance, quality, construction, parts, looks ... even for prices that vary excessively.
I am just wondering whether this is right and acceptable for products of this price level.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
It seems VDH is a very particular case. Besides my personal experience with a GC, I have heard so many other cases for inconsistent specs, performance, quality, construction, parts, looks ... even for prices that vary excessively.
I am just wondering whether this is right and acceptable for products of this price level.
Probably not but AJ is not young and when it's good, it's very good. That's the risk you take for such product. As for prices I think that's the same with all high end gear globally.

Reactions: PeterA

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes I have two Grand Crus now. The newer one is 0.75 mV. The other one I’m told is .6 but it sounds more like 1.1 mV. The 0.75 sample has a lower output.

Peter, does this mean that the actual output of the cartridges bears only a tenuous connection to the outputs which Mr. vdH thinks he built into the cartridges?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

Thanks for the update. Did you deal with vdH directly on the exchange?

My understanding has new vdH distributorships in the US - previously it was Finest Fidelity. Cables and Grails are handled by Audioshield while cartridges are distributed by, of all people, VPI who has no vdH information on their Web site that I could find. My sense is vdH has had problems with US distrbution for some time, vaguely recalling several years when they were not represented. What I learned is a distributor would work in batches, waiting for enough cartridges to accumulate before sending a shipment back to Holland - that made turnaround times go into 4-5 months. I would much prefer to deal with Mr. AJ directly (or David.)

Of my two Master Sigs, I sent one back to be modified so it would fit on a Tri-Planar headshell. First cart I've encounter with such an issue. The cartridge body is rather wide and had its sides shaved down, which allowed it to fit. The other one went back twice, once to gain a lower compliance to work with my 4Point which came back with a cantilever/armature (?) that was too loose to play. That was corrected on a second trip. I did not get a new/upated box so I have no clue what it is spec'd for; and no luck getting an effective mass range by e-mail.

Colibri Triplanar Limit 2.jpg

vdH Colibri Mstr Sig.jpg

If it sounds like I'm complaing, I am not - I love these carts even if they can be like a high-strung greyhound who is a winner. When they are right, they are so very very right. Patience is an audiophile virtue.

Reactions: PeterA and Tango

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Tima, before you sent your cart back, when it was not the right match for the 4p, how did it sound? Did it sound plain wrong, or just a little bit off

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I suggest buy from ddk. It will be more expensive than you source from Netherland or HKK for sure. But what you get is a cart that he went through. He bought each time in dozen and select. Don't worry too much or too picky on specs . I think the same as him. The sound varies a little bit but you get great sound anyway. I don't think much about the premium price I paid because this cart at its top form already give so much more SQ /$ comparing to the uber $ carts and of course for peace of mind too. Not advertising for ddk. Just see you people have so many quality problems with vdh and share my experience. In fact me saying this in public will give him more trouble work harder to keep his reputation which he cares most. Maybe he wishes I had not comment. :eek:

Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing