USB Cables with isolated power leads-

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hi all:

Looking for suggestions for USB cables designed with isolated power leads, like the Wireworld cables.

Any other manufacturers using a similar approach?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Which Wireworld model? I have one here on loan from a friend, and it powers my MF V-Link 192 just fine... It's the Platinum Starlight cable.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
?? I believe all the Wireworld USB cables are designed this way. I have never tried them. I was looking for suggestions for similar cables, that are designed with separate power leads in the cable.

Which Wireworld model? I have one here on loan from a friend, and it powers my MF V-Link 192 just fine... It's the Platinum Starlight cable.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

welwynnick

Mar 13, 2011
This sounds like a great idea - no need to spend loads of money.
However some DACs & convertors need the power line return to be connected - just leaving the supply line disconnected.
Otherwise the source doesn't recognise the sink.

Nick

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I recall Gary as a big supporter of having non-powered USB leads, he even poste some lines here on how to manually dis-engage those pins, but I could be wrong.

musicisthebest

May 10, 2012
Oy vey. Revlation Audio Labs...were booted from Audiogon after numerous complaints. Stay far away.

Mr. Marc, please check the reputability of your sources with respect to Revelation Audio Labs. Also take a moment to check the facts on AudiogoN for yourself - AudiogoN shows Revelation Audio Labs (user ID Vtech2000) as active since 01/09/00, a feedback rating of 1316, with 438 positive, 2 neutral, and no negative feedbacks. The record needs to be set straight. I loathe forums because one bad comment more often than not leads to an avalanche.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Dear Sir:

Mr. Marc, please check the reputability of your sources with respect to Revelation Audio Labs. Also take a moment to check the facts on AudiogoN for yourself - AudiogoN shows Revelation Audio Labs (user ID Vtech2000) as active since 01/09/00, a feedback rating of 1316, with 438 positive, 2 neutral, and no negative feedbacks. The record needs to be set straight. I loathe forums because one bad comment more often than not leads to an avalanche.

Dear Sir:

The fact is that RAL WAS banned from Audiogon and their numerous complaints about customers not receiving product in a timely manner and sometimes not at all.

Here is lengthy apology from the owner him self, right on the RAL home page:

"A word from the Owner and President, Brad Vojtech:
I would like to offer my deepest and most profound apology to all customers who have had to wait a more lengthy time than they consider to be reasonable for their order to be shipped. In these days of instant gratification, it is understandable why there are more and more people who know little of having something made to order just for them and the time that can be involved. When you order from us, you receive something that is becoming more and more rare in this world: a world-class product that is individually hand-made by the very person who designed it, made like no one else could make it. I can assure you that any and all negative feedback you may have read online was posted by disgruntled customers who were unsatisfied when we were under a tremendous backlog and our lead times were admittedly lengthy. I also assure you that each and every customer who has ordered from us has or will receive what they ordered. What is unfortunate for us is that the people who posted those comments did not go back and update their posts and state that they did receive what they ordered. The posts also of course only speak to the relatively few negative experiences and do not speak to the literally thousands of orders that have been filled to delighted customers. I further assure you that those days are behind us and all of this has been addressed. We have moved on and continue to supply product that is the best to be had for the price. I promise a better future and as timely a turnaround as humanly possible to all our customers. I am extremely grateful for your business and sincerely consider it an honor to serve you.
—Brad Vojtech, April 2011"

If things have changed since then, then I am happy to hear it, and I offer an apology. But he was banned for a time.

musicisthebest

May 10, 2012
Dear Sir:

The fact is that RAL WAS banned from Audiogon and their numerous complaints about customers not receiving product in a timely manner and sometimes not at all.

Here is lengthy apology from the owner him self, right on the RAL home page:

"A word from the Owner and President, Brad Vojtech:
I would like to offer my deepest and most profound apology to all customers who have had to wait a more lengthy time than they consider to be reasonable for their order to be shipped. In these days of instant gratification, it is understandable why there are more and more people who know little of having something made to order just for them and the time that can be involved. When you order from us, you receive something that is becoming more and more rare in this world: a world-class product that is individually hand-made by the very person who designed it, made like no one else could make it. I can assure you that any and all negative feedback you may have read online was posted by disgruntled customers who were unsatisfied when we were under a tremendous backlog and our lead times were admittedly lengthy. I also assure you that each and every customer who has ordered from us has or will receive what they ordered. What is unfortunate for us is that the people who posted those comments did not go back and update their posts and state that they did receive what they ordered. The posts also of course only speak to the relatively few negative experiences and do not speak to the literally thousands of orders that have been filled to delighted customers. I further assure you that those days are behind us and all of this has been addressed. We have moved on and continue to supply product that is the best to be had for the price. I promise a better future and as timely a turnaround as humanly possible to all our customers. I am extremely grateful for your business and sincerely consider it an honor to serve you.
—Brad Vojtech, April 2011"

If things have changed since then, then I am happy to hear it, and I offer an apology. But he was banned for a time.

The statement on the RAL homepage speaks for itself - reasonable explaination, responsibility taken. You stongly maintain your assertion of RAL (or as you say "he"?) being banned from AudiogoN for a time, etc., but do you not care to share the proof you have as basis for these accusations, or is it all heresay? Seems flawed and gossipy.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Yes, the statement on the RAL does speak for its self. I will leave it at that.

I strongly encourage past customers of RAL to share their experiences here, either positive or negative.

Other than that the matter is closed for me.

The statement on the RAL homepage speaks for itself - reasonable
explaination, responsibility taken. You stongly maintain your assertion of RAL (or as you say "he"?) being banned from AudiogoN for a time, etc., but do you not care to share the proof you have as basis for these accusations, or is it all heresay? Seems flawed and gossipy.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Fair enough

Fair enough.

Do you want to disclose if you are some how affiliated with RAL?

Do you have direct experience as a customer?

RAL's excellent performance record on AudiogoN also speaks for itself, and we will leave it at that.

Apparently, according to the feedback you can read for yourself, hundreds of people who dealt with RAL through AudiogoN could post positive things here.

Regarding their DualConduit USB cable, I have read good things from highly-respected people - example:

http://www.trueaudiophile.com/brands/Revelation-Audio-Labs.html

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Certainly not recent xsactions. Have quite a few of their products. Excellent value/performance. I2s, Aes/Ebu, several PC's used for digital gear and power umbilical for DDSPro. Particularly the I2s, considerably several notches above any others I compared VS.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I recall Gary as a big supporter of having non-powered USB leads, he even poste some lines here on how to manually dis-engage those pins, but I could be wrong.

Not all DACs will work with the pins dis-engaged. With some DACs, when you use a non-powered USB cable, the driver might show a device error. I believe that the computer uses the power pins to detect the DAC. But, if you are curious, a few minutes of time, a pair of tweezers and some Magic Tape, and you can try it for yourself.

On the USB connector, pin 1 (looking inside the USB connector, the one on the far right) holds +5V and pin 4 (the pin on the far left) is the ground.

Try covering Pin 1 with a 3mm wide strip of Magic Tape. I use this tape because of the slippery matt surface. If the DAC still works, have a listen. Next, cover Pin 4 as well.

Something to do for an audiophile weekend........

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Incidentally, before you go crazy...... there are very strict guidelines to the proper construction of USB cables. Unfortunately, some high-end cables do it wrong, and claim to be superior. I've seen cables at up to $4,000 with claims of damping, braiding, etc. I'm sure that Amir and DonH will tell you that the data signal carriers have a job to do (and with USB picosecond jitter isn't one of them) and do it properly.

Here's the USB device class document: http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/CabConn20.pdf

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
Acoustic Revive

I have used the Acoustic Revive USB cable that has a separate power line. It is by far the best sounding USB cable I have heard. Not cheap but relative to most of my gear it is fair enough. There methods are often unorthodox but all of the Acoustic Revive products I have owned (ground conditioner, acoustic panels, power cables, power conditioners, USB cable etc) have been exceptional. They all tend to have a very organic, musical character with extraordinary presence.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Very interesting.

It does not surprise me that audiophile cable maker have made claims that may apply to analog signal cables but not to USB cables. They are preying on this new market of computer audiophiles wo will stress over every conceivable detail.

Many are playing the same old games..exotic names, use of expensive metals like gold and silver, claims of proprietary geometry etc....

I've never seen a bigger bandwagon.

Incidentally, before you go crazy...... there are very strict guidelines to the proper construction of USB cables. Unfortunately, some high-end cables do it wrong, and claim to be superior. I've seen cables at up to $4,000 with claims of damping, braiding, etc. I'm sure that Amir and DonH will tell you that the data signal carriers have a job to do (and with USB picosecond jitter isn't one of them) and do it properly.

Here's the USB device class document: http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/CabConn20.pdf

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
They came up in a bunch of google searches. They do make cool looking stuff, but like many Japanese hifi products, priced out of reach for most. But interesting none the less.

I have used the Acoustic Revive USB cable that has a separate power line. It is by far the best sounding USB cable I have heard. Not cheap but relative to most of my gear it is fair enough. There methods are often unorthodox but all of the Acoustic Revive products I have owned (ground conditioner, acoustic panels, power cables, power conditioners, USB cable etc) have been exceptional. They all tend to have a very organic, musical character with extraordinary presence.

Dieselsy

Nov 2, 2012
Hi, I ordered a FireWire cable and a clock cable from brad of revelation audio, oct 17 I paid him , oct 18 he gave me a tracking number and told me that ill receive my cable in a week. 4 days past the tracking number is still not giving any info,
after 2 weeks still no cable, emailed him, he said maybe bec of the storm sandy, i said its a full week before the storm when he said he sent the cable and its indicated in the tracking number.. then he said he will check with the postal ofc, then he said upon checking with the postal ofc they found out it got left out in the post office bin and the package has some damage and said it affected my cable.. This is after 2weeks! now he said he is gonna make me a new cable and he needs 3 days. I emailed him and ask him or pleaded with him to tell me the real status of my cable and if cant send it, I said just give me a full refund so we won't be wasting each others time.. his reply was my cable is now in the cooker and will send it tomorrow, he won't give me his contact number.. Really don't know if he will send my cables, but he is replying my email.. I'm so confused, frustrated and helpless about this..hope he will send it this time.. You guys have any experience with him?
Need help..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing