Uncut Gems

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

saw this movie today as there is so much hype about it including Adam Sandler's performance. The script was 10 years in the making by the Safdi brother and initially the role of the basketball player was supposed to be D'Amare Stoudemire but Kevin Garnet got the part and was half decent

The movie travels at a frenetic pace and at times you are almost short of breath. The theme of the movie was certainly up my alley and Rotten Tomatoes rated it 93%and 80% on MRQE.com There was even talk of Sandler being nominated and winning the Oscar for Best Actor

Well let me cut to the chase. The movie IMHO was a solid 7. To me it was too long and neither my wife or myself put it into the top 5 of movies seen this year. It makes for a rainy afternoon rental. worth a watch but IMO not going anywhere in the Academy Awards

Howard Ratner, a charismatic New York City jeweler always on the lookout for the next big score, makes a series of high-stakes bets that could lead to the windfall of a lifetime

And there you go. The movie summarized in a line and a half

Reactions: NorthStar

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The trailer actually depicts many of the things I don’t like in life. This is a “must miss” for me.

Thank you, Steve, for saving me the time of watching this one.

Reactions: marty

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
That's very polite and generous Steve, a solid 7.

I was being polite. The movie checked all of my boxes and the trailer drew me in. The pace is so quick that your heart is racing throughout but in the end the movie IMO was nothing special

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I appreciated it, but did not enjoy it

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The movie travels at a frenetic pace and at times you are almost short of breath. The theme of the movie was certainly up my alley and Rotten Tomatoes rated it 93%and 80% on MRQE.com

Rotten Tomatoes (Audience score with almost 4,000) is @ 54% compared to the pro movie critics...93%. Also according to Metacritic (pros) it's a Must See ... 89 (Audience = 65).

So the pros they like it on average but not the audience.
I need to see it with my own eyes and check why the big gap.

There are not many films with Adam Sandler that I like, only one ... Punch-Drunk Love (2002).

From the few trailers the camera is moving quite fast; not my favorite shaky style in my movie book. But I can risk it to check the story involvement, his acting skills, and the music score.
If it wouldn't be for 80% (MRQE), 89 (MC) and 93% (RT) from all the average of Pro movie critics I would wait for a day when it's raining tremendously with fierce winds and black outs (on my laptop from a stick).

Plus 7 from you ain't too shabby either, but it misses the essential cut.

Best Actor Oscar performance this year is super easy...Joaquin Phoenix.

I might check 1917 @ the theater in 2020.
And another one ... A Hidden Life.
These two are more my type with film directors and cinematographers and music composers from familiar comfort zone.

* My own personal opinion: The two films I just mentioned above I wish they would get more exposition to film lovers across the globe from a streaming service provider, like Netflix for example.

It's amazing we are just finishing a decade that started in 2010, and starting a new one...2020.
I remember two decades ago, when all computers were supposed to break down and the sun crashing on the moon...in 2000.

2020 should be interesting, without any crashes, a strong economy, a solid democracy, and the pursuit of higher grounds ... music, films, high-end audio, more electric cars, better food quality control, and more affordable precious gems...including diamond rings. :)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I'd give it a 5.5... it was 30-45 min too long and the style of the film with Sandler's character always in crisis mode got annoying. Ending was bad.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
We saw Uncut Gems today. Don't recall seeing another movie that moved at such a frantic pace. It was exhausting.

Seems that there wasn't one sympathetic or even likeable character in the movie. Somehow I thought it was a good movie but wondered why I liked as we walked to our car.

I will say it was a step out of the comfort zone for Adam Sandler and his usual sophomoric comedy movies. Didn't think he could carry off a role like the lead character in this film but he did it.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
It made you feel what it's like to be a hardcore gambler, but the constant frantic behavior and tense situations was over the top imo. Definitely exhausting. I can see how many would consider it a good movie, and I suppose it is, but I didn't like it.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Sophomoric is a little generous. How about adolescent?

?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing