UK Delta NR & EF

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
Fabulous review just in of the UK Delta NR and EF (Hi-fi Plus December 2018 issue). Alan Sircom says:

“Shunyata Research Delta power cords are possibly the most ‘now’ thing you can use in audio. Thanks to a lot of products with cheap and nasty switch mode power supplies pumping nasties into your local mains, good audio is fighting a losing battle for sound. Delta fights in your corner.”

Guillaume

Attachments

• HIFI+166 Shunyata_LR.pdf
    218.9 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: CGabriel

SR-1

Sep 3, 2016
London, United Kingdom
The Hi-Fi Plus review is really about the NR, linking all of the audible qualities mentioned to that cable’s noise reduction filtering. It says nothing about the EF’s performance, leaving one to wonder what that cable brings to the table.

I have listened to the Delta NR in my system and can lend my voice to the review’s praise of this cable. But it would still have been helpful if the review had mentioned how the Delta NR was connected to the electricity supply (e.g. direct to wallsocket, into a Shunyata/other distributor etc) and what its performance with the Devialet equipment was being compared to in terms of other power cables tried.

SR-1

Sep 3, 2016
London, United Kingdom
In what kind of senarios are the EF cables likely to be a better choice than the NR cables, accepting already that they might be more suitable where access was limited? Can it be expected that many would find EF C15 cables to be the more appropriate option when used from a Denali, or would the NR’s additional filtering be likely to bring additional benefit? Just wondering as a rule of thumb with Shunyata cabling when, if at all, you might reach the point of too much filtering, where it starts to become redundant or even detrimental.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
At another site in answer to a poster's question Shunyata recommended using an EF cable over an NR of the same series to connect a Denali to the wall. Reason: to save money, their opinion being that the NR cable's noise reduction capabilities will be largely redundant to that provided by the Denali (but use NRs from Denali to components).

Last edited:

SR-1

Sep 3, 2016
London, United Kingdom
At another site in answer to a poster's question Shunyata recommended using an EF cable over an NR of the same series to connect a Denali to the wall. Reason: to save money, their opinion being that the NR cable's noise reduction capabilities will be largely redundant to that provided by the Denali (but use NRs from Denali to components).
Thanks.

So I’m wondering what the case would be for using an ‘EF’ C15 other than with gear that has access too limited for the larger ‘NR’ connectors. Of course, whatever sounds best in a given system wins the argument, but when is that likely to be an ‘EF’ C15 in preference to an ‘NR’ C15?

Last edited:

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Hi,

I would say the EF advantages are lower-cost, even better cord flexibility (not that the NR cords are stiff) and smaller cable diameter with Alpha EF and Sigma EF models. In terms of sound, there are slight differences. EF's may be a bit more direct, slightly more forward and punchy, while the NR's delineate depth of field, timbrel nuance and low-level sound detail in a slightly more nuanced manner. These differences are indeed small, but may be more, or less relevant based on the system. I would lean toward NR models with digital front-loaded systems or predominantly solid state gear. For those with tubes and analog systems, comparing EF to NR models on the amps and pre-amp might be worthwhile. As with anything, evaluations are worth the time to get the best fit but I've done enough testing with both to know either will offer exceptional performance in a wide array of contexts.

Regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

Reactions: SR-1

SR-1

Sep 3, 2016
London, United Kingdom
Hi,

I would say the EF advantages are lower-cost, even better cord flexibility (not that the NR cords are stiff) and smaller cable diameter with Alpha EF and Sigma EF models. In terms of sound, there are slight differences. EF's may be a bit more direct, slightly more forward and punchy, while the NR's delineate depth of field, timbrel nuance and low-level sound detail in a slightly more nuanced manner. These differences are indeed small, but may be more, or less relevant based on the system. I would lean toward NR models with digital front-loaded systems or predominantly solid state gear. For those with tubes and analog systems, comparing EF to NR models on the amps and pre-amp might be worthwhile. As with anything, evaluations are worth the time to get the best fit but I've done enough testing with both to know either will offer exceptional performance in a wide array of contexts.

Regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research
Thanks, Grant. That’s very helpful.

I’ve just had on loan both an Alpha NR and an Alpha EF to try with my server, a linear power supply and a Chord DAVE dac/headphone amp. These cables in addition to the Alpha HC and Jorma Trinity cables I already own, and with all the cables connected to a Venom UK6 (Alpha EF C19). I would say that the differences I heard were pretty much in line with how you described them but I found it difficult to decide which one I preferred.

I’ve now returned the cables but intend to borrow them again, only next time along with a Denali. I found myself thinking that the Denali would do more for the EF than for the NR, but we’ll see.

Thanks again.

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Hi. The primary design goal behind all Shunyata Research electrical system products is to eliminate any inherent part or material resistance to instantaneous current. All of our custom designed parts are developed through the measurement of instantaneous current through parts and conductors. This is why the solid-copper outlets, connectors, conductors, buss systems and some of our Patents have everything to do with the minimization of line-impedance and the facilitation of superior DTCD (Dynamic Transient Current Delivery). That's the long answer. The short answer is "no".. :)

Best regards,
Grant

Reactions: ngamountains

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing